March 22, 2019, 08:08:49 AM

Author Topic: The hilarious things students say to you....  (Read 294193 times)

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
Re: The hilarious things students say to you....
« Reply #980 on: September 29, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »
During a middle school open class yesterday. Lesson was on asking and answering favors. About 15 moms in the back of the class ~

Me: "If you don't want to do a favor for someone, what can you say?"

S: "Fuck off."

Everyone:  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Me:  "wow ...ok, moving on. Anyone else?" :angel: :blank:

donovan

« Reply #981 on: September 29, 2016, 01:59:58 PM »
I had a kid walk in today singing Eruption's "One Way Ticket", which is especially amusing for me because I only first ever heard it when my (Korean) father-in-law sang it to me when reminiscing about his discotheque days.

I'm so grateful to have youtube at my fingertips so I can quickly break the music video out and bring the whole class into the fold~

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #982 on: September 29, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
Some of my students will randomly blurt out "I love you!" or make hearts at me when they think nobody else is looking. They're middle school boys  :blank:

"Teacher! I love you--uh, I mean [insert key expression of the lesson]"

Fortunately for him this class is tiny (only 3 students) and the other 2 are nice girls so I don't think anyone teased him about it. Nobody acknowledged it so we all just moved on.

donovan

« Reply #983 on: September 29, 2016, 02:28:14 PM »
Some of my students will randomly blurt out "I love you!" or make hearts at me when they think nobody else is looking. They're middle school boys  :blank:

Fortunately for him this class is tiny (only 3 students) and the other 2 are nice girls so I don't think anyone teased him about it. Nobody acknowledged it so we all just moved on.

"I Love you!" Much preferable to "기모띠!" I'm glad middle-schoolers have found more appropriate ways to express their feelings^^

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #984 on: September 29, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »
Oh thank god nobody has said "기모띠!" at me!!  :huh: :huh:

But it still just seems weird. Like they know how old I am!

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #985 on: September 29, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »

I get this all the time too. From both genders. It's just middle-school silliness.
I used to just SNIP, but these days I enjoy just looking at them with dead, emotionless eyes and returning the heart symbol along with a robotic "I love you too." :azn:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #986 on: September 29, 2016, 03:07:18 PM »

I get this all the time too. From both genders. It's just middle-school silliness.
I used to just SNIP, but these days I enjoy just looking at them with dead, emotionless eyes and returning the heart symbol along with a robotic "I love you too." :azn:
WHAT did you used to snip?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #987 on: September 29, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »

WHAT did you used to snip?
    Locks of their hair mostly, which I would then burn in effigy, or use in the occasional black magic ritual.
    I more or less quit doing that because it's becoming increasingly difficult to find 'innocents' among middle schoolers. Guess I should switch to primary, but I'm not fond of the whole 'human taperecorder' issue that so many primary NETs encounter. :sad:

**S.N.I.P. is also an acronym for Smile, Nod, Ignore, Proceed

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #988 on: September 29, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »
**S.N.I.P. is also an acronym for Smile, Nod, Ignore, Proceed

You learn something new every day.

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #989 on: September 29, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
I had a kid walk in today singing Eruption's "One Way Ticket", which is especially amusing for me because I only first ever heard it when my (Korean) father-in-law sang it to me when reminiscing about his discotheque days.

I'm so grateful to have youtube at my fingertips so I can quickly break the music video out and bring the whole class into the fold~

On the subject of old music, a way back when, I used to have a student who would always ask me "Teacher! Do you know Duran Duran? Hungry Like the Wolf!" Without fail, every class.

Yeah, kid, I know who Duran Duran are. I knew the 17 other times you asked too. Apparently his old man saw them live and it had some bizarre impact on him.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:29:30 PM by SkidMarx »

donovan

« Reply #990 on: September 29, 2016, 06:46:03 PM »

On the subject of old music, a way back when, I used to have a student who would always ask me "Teacher! Do you know Duran Duran? Hungry Like the Wolf!" Without fail, every class.

Yeah, kid, I know who Duran Duran are. I knew the 17 other times you asked too. Apparently his old man saw them live and it had some bizarre impact on him.

I had another kid would always bring up Freddy Mercury because his dad happened to be super in to Queen.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #991 on: September 29, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »
I had a middle school student in the past whose dad loved listening to Metallica.  He wore a shirt during summer camp and spoke English well.  So, whenever I saw him, I'd always say sound bites to him.  "Ride the lightening".  Sad, but true."  Blah blah blah....

Offline goseumdochi

• Adventurer
« Reply #992 on: September 29, 2016, 09:39:59 PM »
Students: /see a middle aged blond man in the textbook

One student with poor english: trump
Another student(much higher level): TRUMP IS A RACIST!!!!!!!!!

TWO DAYS LATER
me, handing the agenda sheet which is white: here mike, write your hw on your hw agenda sheet, not your textbook
Same student as before: mike hates white. MIKE IS A RACIST!!!!!!!!!!

I dont even know where he learned that???

donovan

« Reply #993 on: September 30, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »
Students: /see a middle aged blond man in the textbook

One student with poor english: trump
Another student(much higher level): TRUMP IS A RACIST!!!!!!!!!

TWO DAYS LATER
me, handing the agenda sheet which is white: here mike, write your hw on your hw agenda sheet, not your textbook
Same student as before: mike hates white. MIKE IS A RACIST!!!!!!!!!!

I dont even know where he learned that???

Rac*st has entered the lexicon of my 6th grade students and I don't like it. I assumed they picked it up while living abroad. They throw it around casually at each other, always jokingly (like some of them throw around the F word or a middle finger), but still.  It's a word already in danger of overuse and fast losing its currency. I can't even bring myself to say it; makes me want to cringe.

I happen to be studying comparatives with my 6th grade students and I had planned to show them the song "Anything You Can Do I can Do Better" from Annie Get Your Gun, and playfully ask them whose better, men or women. Since the first presidential debate had just taken place the day previously, I started the lesson with a photo of Trump and Hillary on the debate stage and asked who's better, the man or the woman. I wasn't sure if they would be fully aware of who the figures were, but the kids raised their hands overwhelmingly for "the woman". Even the boys who would later vote for boys over girls. They were well aware of who the figures were and I think the words "racist" and "terrible" were thrown in by a couple more opinionated students.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #994 on: September 30, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »
I've recently discovered one of my 4th graders is a goofball. The other day she ran down the hallway to me, waving around a folded napkin.

"[yirj]! My friend!!" (gesturing at the folded napkin)
"...really??" (it's a dead fly)
"Really! My friend! But, Korean teacher... (makes a hitting motion) My friend die!"
"Your friend is... dead?"
"Yes! Die!"
" :blank: Err..."

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #995 on: October 12, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »
Had the students practice some dialogue today for "Why don't we _______ together?" I gave them a short worksheet for them to fill in the blanks w/whatever they wanted to say & went around spell/grammar checking. When performing aloud, one student totally deviated from what he wrote down.

Boy A: "What are you going to do this weekend?"
Boy B: "Nothing special."
Boy A: "Why don't we go to sleep together?"
Boy B: "Sounds good!"

As I tried to stifle a snort, I made eye contact with one of the higher level students who just smiled knowingly... though I think the implication went over most of the heads in class.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #996 on: October 12, 2016, 03:04:44 PM »

As I tried to stifle a snort, I made eye contact with one of the higher level students who just smiled knowingly... though I think the implication went over most of the heads in class.

Oh, they knew exactly what they were saying............
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #997 on: October 14, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »
 "Teeeeeachaaa.  Sandals and socks? You're a fashion terrorist."

Offline Teemowork

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #998 on: October 14, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »

There's also the one where they go...

Student A: "Would you like to come to my house and eat ramyeon??"
Student B: "Sounds good!"

With the amount of uncontrolled giggling that occurred, you didn't need to know anything about Korean culture/slang to know EXACTLY what that meant in Korea.

donovan

« Reply #999 on: October 14, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »

There's also the one where they go...

Student A: "Would you like to come to my house and eat ramyeon??"
Student B: "Sounds good!"

With the amount of uncontrolled giggling that occurred, you didn't need to know anything about Korean culture/slang to know EXACTLY what that meant in Korea.

There's a page in our 6th grade book that has a Flash-animated character shouting, "Yeot! Yeot! Have some delicious yeot!" "It's delicious!"

The kids can't control their laughter.  I wonder if the book publishers didn't anticipate the students' reaction when writing this lesson.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:39:53 PM by donovan »