January 23, 2019, 08:44:24 PM

Author Topic: The hilarious things students say to you....  (Read 289126 times)

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
Re: The hilarious things students say to you....
« Reply #880 on: January 08, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »
The other day I had a student that didn't do his homework.  I told him he was in trouble.  He then stared at me for a second, put his hand up in front of his face, waved it, and said, "Teacher, you can't see me."  If you know WWE, you know why he's become my favorite student. 

Offline nermal

• Veteran
« Reply #881 on: March 15, 2016, 09:40:25 AM »
Students were open to ask questions about me for our first class.

"Teacher, do you like Wikipedia?"

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #882 on: March 15, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »

Intro classes I usually open the floor to any questions about me for about 5 minutes. 95% of the time this goes smoothly.

Yesterday I got this one (I'm an atheist but don't really wanna touch the subject of religion with a ten foot pole),

"Teacher, do you believe in God?"

Uhmmm.... ok.... usually my first grade middle school kids ask me about kpop and how old I am. Caught me completely off guard.

I said something about "loving everyone equally", but the kid asked AGAIN. He wouldn't quit and everyone was waiting and listening (why now of all times did everyone decide to be polite and attentive?!) for what felt like a really long time...

Finally I just said I wasn't gonna answer. Kid was visibly disturbed. Sorry, bruh.

Offline robobob9000

• Super Waygook
Re: Tell Me Funny L/R, B/P, J/Z Sentences Your Student Said
« Reply #883 on: March 15, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »
In a high school lesson on favorite foods, one student wrote that he likes "folk lips".

This was during my first year, so I was a bit nonplussed.  Today, of course, I would instantly recognise that as "pork ribs".
This is a really interesting one. I saw this yesterday, one of my best middle school students made the same lips/ribs mistake. I can understand the R/L and P/B confusion in speech because the Korean ㄹ/ㅂ sound is kinda halfway between the two approximate English equivalents, and the sound changes depending upon it's location inside the word. But I wasn't expecting to see the same mistake in writing, where the difference is more clear.

I guess she learned the word through speech instead of writing, but her listening skills weren't good enough to transcribe it to writing correctly. It was fascinating to see a pronunciation difficulty translate into a spelling difficulty.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #884 on: March 15, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »

Intro classes I usually open the floor to any questions about me for about 5 minutes. 95% of the time this goes smoothly.

Yesterday I got this one (I'm an atheist but don't really wanna touch the subject of religion with a ten foot pole),

Uhmmm.... ok.... usually my first grade middle school kids ask me about kpop and how old I am. Caught me completely off guard.

I said something about "loving everyone equally", but the kid asked AGAIN. He wouldn't quit and everyone was waiting and listening (why now of all times did everyone decide to be polite and attentive?!) for what felt like a really long time...

Finally I just said I wasn't gonna answer. Kid was visibly disturbed. Sorry, bruh.

Go with the ,I'm  whatever you want me to be approach. It works well for the personal questions from randoms.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #885 on: March 15, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »

Go with the ,I'm  whatever you want me to be approach. It works well for the personal questions from randoms.

Yeah in hindsight that would've been the best approach. I was just caught a little flat footed in the moment.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #886 on: March 15, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »
Yeah in hindsight that would've been the best approach. I was just caught a little flat footed in the moment.

I know that feel :/  All my kids used to ask if I was single or not, and I just laugh and tell them that's private.  I've never been asked, but I'd do the same with religion.  Also works as a teaching moment about how some questions/comments that are common here can be rude or a bit too bold in foreign cultures.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #887 on: March 15, 2016, 04:37:28 PM »
On the flip side, I did a numbers review lesson and included an intro to currencies around the world (shopping is next), and had this hilarious moment.  I was showing slides from each country and asking random questions about the money (who is on it, is it colorful, is $1 a coin or a bill), and when I got to England I asked who "this lady" was on all of their paper money.

Some over-excited boy shouted out, "ANGELINA JOLIE!" and I couldn't help bursting out laughing  :laugh:

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #888 on: March 15, 2016, 05:39:21 PM »
A new 11-year-old student told me last week:

"I was born on March 4th. That's unlucky. So I think I will die on March 4th."

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #889 on: March 15, 2016, 07:35:36 PM »
Last year Middle School Girl randomly blurts out :  "Teacher you're so very handsome, but I already have a boyfriend."

Me:  What?  (Thinking: I wasn't asking about you and I really didn't want to know.) 

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
Re: Tell Me Funny L/R, B/P, J/Z Sentences Your Student Said
« Reply #890 on: March 15, 2016, 07:37:05 PM »
S: " Teacher, do you like the bitch?"
me: "Do I like the what?"
S: "The bitch....the she.......Ocean!"
me: "Ohhhhh the beaaaccchhhhhhh"

That's pronounced bea-chie.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #891 on: March 16, 2016, 08:30:43 AM »

I know that feel :/  All my kids used to ask if I was single or not, and I just laugh and tell them that's private.  I've never been asked, but I'd do the same with religion.  Also works as a teaching moment about how some questions/comments that are common here can be rude or a bit too bold in foreign cultures.

I would definitely tell any random adult who asks about my personal life that that's none of their business. The thing is I make a big point of saying that on the first day (only) the kids can ask me ANYTHING as it usually opens them up and we can relax and have a laugh and they feel like they got to know me a bit, which helps later on.

I also have a lesson about rude behavior and speech in different places and cultures so I do cover that down the road. But in the future I guess I just need to remember that my work "face" and my real "face" are two different things and sometimes it's better to go along to get along...

Reading that last sentence made me think maybe I've been here too long   :undecided:

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #892 on: March 16, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »
On the flip side, I did a numbers review lesson and included an intro to currencies around the world (shopping is next), and had this hilarious moment.  I was showing slides from each country and asking random questions about the money (who is on it, is it colorful, is $1 a coin or a bill), and when I got to England I asked who "this lady" was on all of their paper money.

Some over-excited boy shouted out, "ANGELINA JOLIE!" and I couldn't help bursting out laughing  :laugh:

Hahaha this made me laugh out loud

Offline MissSA

• Adventurer
« Reply #893 on: March 16, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
I was playing a game with my 1st graders (middle school) and they have to choose letter of the alphabet and answer the corresponding question. There are 30 questions so 1-26 are capital letters and 27-30 are small letter.

I was trying to get the kid to tell me whether he wanted the big A or the small a, and he said "Teacher, you... big-". Now I'm a little on the plump side, so immediately the whole class started freaking out that he'd called me fat. He spent the next 10 minutes a furious red, and apologising over and over while I just laughed.

Offline courtneym

• Adventurer
« Reply #894 on: March 16, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »
Two boys were rough-housing in the hallway. One of them was holding the other in a loose headlock, so I asked them 'What are you doing?' as I walked by. The boy in the headlock looked at me and said: "Teacher, he's showing me his love."

I lost it haha.

Offline Chuck

• Waygookin
« Reply #895 on: March 16, 2016, 12:58:50 PM »
Reviewing maladies and injuries with middle school first graders a student said, "What do you call it? [ʃɪt] don't come."

Offline amgoalng

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #896 on: March 18, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »
This just happened to me.  A little boy, grade 4, was just staring at me in the hall.  Then he panted like a dog at me and walked away.  I am so confused.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #897 on: March 18, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
Showed this picture--OF A TANK TOP, PEOPLE, IT'S A TANK TOP--to my 2nd year high schoolers today as we were reviewing clothing:

It was appropriately sized in between a T-shirt and a button down. 

When I asked what it was, I got:
"bra"
"brassier"
"Brazil"
"sports bra"
"bikini"
"swimming bra"
"corset"

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:18:00 PM by nomadicmadda »

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #898 on: March 30, 2016, 08:30:36 AM »
Yesterday my 1st year students were completing a worksheet, and I was walking around checking their work and answering questions.  I got to these two boys and one of them farted.  His neighbor dramatically covered his face and was like, "OH GOD WAS THAT YOU?!" and the culprit just started nervously giggling.  His friend kept trying to embarrass him further by making it a big deal so he starts going, "Aaaaaah kimochi!!!!" and I couldn't resist cracking up :laugh:

Offline kchan91

• Adventurer
« Reply #899 on: March 30, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »
So, at this school, sometimes we have English activities with about 200 students in an auditorium. Each class gets points if they cheer really well and loud.

So, me and another foreigner are leading the activity and we're both of the dark-skinned variety of waygookins. After getting each class to cheer individually and judging which class was the best, the other teacher awarded one team some points for cheering the best. Then one kid from another team points at this teacher and says out of nowhere, "RACIST!"

Me and the other teacher had a good laugh~
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:04:55 PM by kchan91 »