September 21, 2018, 09:29:54 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 366554 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2400 on: December 13, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »
I'm so excited, leaving for Germany and Switzerland in 7 days...

Went to Austria in the summer and I've never been anywhere so beautiful in all my life, I'd imagine Switzerland is similar.  It was a tossup between Switzerland and Austria mind.  But in the summer, there are more direct flights to Austria.  Grindelwald in Switzerland is where I was looking and it looks amazing, maybe next summer....

Summer.

Winter.

Oh, I would like to go to Grindelwald too. Switzerland is one of my number one places I've always wanted to go to. I'm definitely going to also go back sometime in the summer. I think both seasons look beautiful, one just a bit scarier, personal comfort wise.

December in a snowy Switerland, on a bright clear day, in a traditional wooden ski chalet in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, with an open fire, and a glass of red wine.   ;D

That would be bliss!
Make is a hot coco and we have a deal.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #2401 on: December 13, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
Oh, I would like to go to Grindelwald too. Switzerland is one of my number one places I've always wanted to go to. I'm definitely going to also go back sometime in the summer. I think both seasons look beautiful, one just a bit scarier, personal comfort wise.

I've been to Switzerland both in the winter and the summer -- it's nice both seasons, just depends on which season you prefer, I suppose. Germany and Austria are also lovely, although I've only been to those countries in the summer (unless a layover at the Munich airport in the winter counts, haha).

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #2402 on: December 14, 2017, 07:04:05 AM »
I'm so excited, leaving for Germany and Switzerland in 7 days...

Went to Austria in the summer and I've never been anywhere so beautiful in all my life, I'd imagine Switzerland is similar.  It was a tossup between Switzerland and Austria mind.  But in the summer, there are more direct flights to Austria.  Grindelwald in Switzerland is where I was looking and it looks amazing, maybe next summer....

Summer.

Winter.

December in a snowy Switerland, on a bright clear day, in a traditional wooden ski chalet in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, with an open fire, and a glass of red wine.   ;D

That would be bliss!
Make is a hot coco and we have a deal.

Hmmm, before 5pm hot coco, post 5pm red wine, can't say fairer than that....

;D

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2403 on: December 14, 2017, 09:36:29 AM »

I've been to Switzerland both in the winter and the summer -- it's nice both seasons, just depends on which season you prefer, I suppose. Germany and Austria are also lovely, although I've only been to those countries in the summer (unless a layover at the Munich airport in the winter counts, haha).
I generally prefer summer, but I love the romanticism of snow and winter, so I'll still enjoy it.

@Dave Stepz- Fair enough. I'll tell you what though, I'm looking forward to the mulled wine and cider. I'm also going to try my first ever fruit cake. Figured it's better to start off with the proper stuff than whatever the bastardized version it is America does that everyone always hates.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2404 on: January 03, 2018, 02:06:59 PM »
I never have to teach with my control freak motormouth co again!

Offline sweetkat

• Veteran
« Reply #2405 on: January 03, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »
I haven't had to do an English camp in 2.5 years.   I've been out of Korea for 2 years.   I got another 6 percent raise after watching salary continually drop in Korea with increased taxes and no raises.  Air here improved year upon year.  I have five kitties.  I just came back from Disney World.  I'm getting a kind new boss.  I'm tooting my horn..sorry. just a little happy over a stressful year that saw my husband going back to Korea.   My 4 year olds i teach are smart and most polite out of all the classes.  They just kick butt.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2406 on: January 05, 2018, 04:12:29 PM »
Aww. On the subway, all seats occupied. (I am standing) An elderly man totters on. A woman leaps up and insists he take her seat. She and another commuter help the elderly man sit down. Absolutely lovely~

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2407 on: January 08, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
Today is supposed to be the last day of my winter camp, but since all 3 students have other plans today, I'm finished.  Three days of desk-warming, and then vacation.

For now I'm watching the snow fall down out the window. 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2408 on: January 08, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »
I had a fantastic vacation! Far too short for my tastes. But Germany and Switzerland were wonderful, I ate enough bread and cheese to feed a small nation, got to meet the German side of my family for the first time, and it was warmer than it was in Korea.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #2409 on: January 08, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
I had a fantastic vacation! Far too short for my tastes. But Germany and Switzerland were wonderful, I ate enough bread and cheese to feed a small nation, got to meet the German side of my family for the first time, and it was warmer than it was in Korea.

Nice to hear you had a lovely vacation.  Was it bitingly cold?  I'm sure you bought some cheese back in your case too.  :wink: Off next week to England, then Malta and then Sweden.  Will be nice just need to get this week camp out of the way first. 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2410 on: January 08, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »

Nice to hear you had a lovely vacation.  Was it bitingly cold?  I'm sure you bought some cheese back in your case too.  :wink: Off next week to England, then Malta and then Sweden.  Will be nice just need to get this week camp out of the way first.
No! It was actually warmish! There were a few days I just wore a sweater and was fine. There was one day where it got to 13 C. I was definitely over prepared clothing wise. It apparently gets colder in Korea than it does in the Alps, which makes me question my choice in living here...

Malta will be so nice! How long will you be there for?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2411 on: January 09, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
Scored a (nearly free but for the nominal contract transferral fee) half year membership to a local gym. 

And then I realized... a gym is just a playground for adults  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2412 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »
Midterm results: only missed 3.6 points out of 100. :D

Somehow did better on the speaking section than writing.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2413 on: January 10, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
Where are you studying?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2414 on: January 10, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2415 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »
Korean language course? You'd recommend it?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2416 on: January 10, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »
Korean language course? You'd recommend it?

Indeed. Probably depends on the individual and the teacher you get but I'm having a fine time so far. The method is more immersion based than other courses might be; I heard some of the programs up in Seoul are a bit more English friendly (someone I know took courses at Korea Uni some years ago).

If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to try and provide answers.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2417 on: January 11, 2018, 07:34:46 AM »
This might sound like a rant at the beginning, but wait for it...

Yesterday at lunch time I stopped at an Emart cafeteria.  As I was browsing the trophy case of wax models, an adjumma bumped into me about 3 times.  I got in line behind the person being served. As she left, the adjumma slid in between me and the clerk and proceeded to place her order.

My response was going to be to take a half step forward so that she would be eyes-to-pecs with me as she turned, but a Korean man in his late 20s tapped her on the shoulder and called her out for being an ass.

Thank you stranger. 
It is nice to see things like this called out.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2418 on: January 12, 2018, 07:23:00 AM »
Last day of camp!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2419 on: January 12, 2018, 08:21:03 AM »
This might sound like a rant at the beginning, but wait for it...

Yesterday at lunch time I stopped at an Emart cafeteria.  As I was browsing the trophy case of wax models, an adjumma bumped into me about 3 times.  I got in line behind the person being served. As she left, the adjumma slid in between me and the clerk and proceeded to place her order.

My response was going to be to take a half step forward so that she would be eyes-to-pecs with me as she turned, but a Korean man in his late 20s tapped her on the shoulder and called her out for being an ass.

Thank you stranger. 
It is nice to see things like this called out.
I always appreciate when that happens. I was at the airport trying to get back into the country last weekend, in the Korean line since I have the SES sticker in my passport. An ajeossi pushed in front of me right as I was about to enter the line to check my fingerprint and the young lady worker started yelling at him.