November 18, 2018, 02:44:24 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 378545 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #860 on: August 23, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
I want to get an old NES. Should have bought one while I was back in the States.

DID YOU KNOW... There will soon be a new mini NES with built in games? http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

And it's cheaper than getting a used NES from most places (though I don't think you can play old cartridges on the new mini).

I'm just gonna be sitting here waiting for a new mini SNES  ;D

I don't understand why people would pay money for an emulator.

Because it's cheaper than the original (the ones that are in good enough condition to be worth it anyway), won't break down as often, and works better than what's available online.

Plus, this particular one is actually by Nintendo with the classic NES look.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:09:23 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #861 on: August 23, 2016, 09:16:56 AM »
I want to get an old NES. Should have bought one while I was back in the States.

DID YOU KNOW... There will soon be a new mini NES with built in games? http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

And it's cheaper than getting a used NES from most places (though I don't think you can play old cartridges on the new mini).

For the pretty packaging of course  :wink:

And more easily portable-- though I have a friend who has done wonders with the raspberry pi. But I'm not savvy with that kinda stuff.

Personally I have always preferred having the original console and controllers to an emulator if I can help it, but that's just me. It's not always the most economical, I'm aware.

Offline Zaiterade

• Super Waygook
« Reply #862 on: August 23, 2016, 09:27:27 AM »

Because it's cheaper and won't break down as often?

But like... I'm assuming these same people also probably download things like music, TV, movies, etc.

Emulators and emulator files can also be downloaded for free, and you're getting the exact same thing.

I guess the novelty of a little plastic NES replica is fun for some people, but ehhh, it's basically like buying a USB drive with emulators loaded on it.

I guess it's like how I don't understand why people pay for iTunes files. I totally understand buying a CD, cassette or LP, because you're getting a premium product, but paying to download a lossy audio file in a proprietary format is weird.
When it comes to games (especially Nintendo since none of their games are for PC) I would rather play it on a TV with a controller. I love PC and play here in Korea, but some things work best the old fashioned way.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #863 on: August 23, 2016, 09:30:18 AM »
But like... I'm assuming these same people also probably download things like music, TV, movies, etc.

Emulators and emulator files can also be downloaded for free, and you're getting the exact same thing.

I guess the novelty of a little plastic NES replica is fun for some people, but ehhh, it's basically like buying a USB drive with emulators loaded on it.

I guess it's like how I don't understand why people pay for iTunes files. I totally understand buying a CD, cassette or LP, because you're getting a premium product, but paying to download a lossy audio file in a proprietary format is weird.

Sorry, I edited my original post, but yeah, I don't like the online downloads of the games (they're just not the same to me) or needing my personal computer to play a game that I've grown up playing using controllers. I prefer a console that I can just plug into any TV. Plus it's a lot of fun to take to parties and get-togethers.

But even without that, I'm a sucker for the novelty, yeah. I like the old NES, but I've had several now and getting them maintenanced is a PITA, so a smaller re-vamped version of the same thing is right up my alley.

And more easily portable-- though I have a friend who has done wonders with the raspberry pi. But I'm not savvy with that kinda stuff.

This doesn't exactly make the old NES more portable, but I thought it was neat and it supposedly makes it more playable (less likely to freeze, easier to load the old cartridges, etc.). I've been tempted to try it out, but I can never find a toaster I like enough to gut an old NES for. xD

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nintoaster-stuffs-a-nintendo-console-into-a-retro-toaster/

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #864 on: August 23, 2016, 09:40:50 AM »

Sorry, I edited my original post, but yeah, I don't like the online downloads of the games (they're just not the same to me) or needing my personal computer to play a game that I've grown up playing using controllers. I prefer a console that I can just plug into any TV. Plus it's a lot of fun to take to parties and get-togethers.

But even without that, I'm a sucker for the novelty, yeah. I like the old NES, but I've had several now and getting them maintenanced is a PITA, so a smaller re-vamped version of the same thing is right up my alley.

This doesn't exactly make the old NES more portable, but I thought it was neat and it supposedly makes it more playable (less likely to freeze, easier to load the old cartridges, etc.). I've been tempted to try it out, but I can never find a toaster I like enough to gut an old NES for. xD

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nintoaster-stuffs-a-nintendo-console-into-a-retro-toaster/

I'll just throw it out there that you can plug PCs into TVs and play (most) games using a controllers nowadays. My TV is basically a giant computer monitor.

I've never tried an emulated game though.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #865 on: August 23, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
I'll just throw it out there that you can plug PCs into TVs and play (most) games using a controllers nowadays. My TV is basically a giant computer monitor.

Yeah, but that's not really too convenient. There are extra steps involved with that and it requires adapters, and let's say you have a desktop vs. a laptop, or maybe someone wants to use the computer while you're playing the game...

I like having flexible options and don't like having to undo/re-do cables every time I want to play something.

Plus, again, the downloadable emulators aren't the same. They'll do if you don't have access to the real thing, but they just don't compare.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #866 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »

Yeah, but that's not really too convenient. There are extra steps involved with that and it requires adapters, and let's say you have a desktop vs. a laptop, or maybe someone wants to use the computer while you're playing the game...

I like having flexible options and don't like having to undo/re-do cables every time I want to play something.

Plus, again, the downloadable emulators aren't the same. They'll do if you don't have access to the real thing, but they just don't compare.

Actually NES emulation is literally identical to what you get when you play on original hardware, except you're able to upscale it in some cases, so that it doesn't look miserable on modern TVs.

Admittedly I've only tried a couple of emulators, and there were definitely differences in the gameplay and layouts. Maybe this isn't standard, what I tried may have been personal mods by people who thought the games were better off with them, but it really put me off of emulators altogether and I haven't tried others since then.

Either way, I like the old hardware and prefer to use it for the old games to get that old childhood feel, and they're a lot more fun to take to social gatherings or friends' homes.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #867 on: August 23, 2016, 10:17:22 AM »

Actually NES emulation is literally identical to what you get when you play on original hardware, except you're able to upscale it in some cases, so that it doesn't look miserable on modern TVs.

Admittedly I've only tried a couple of emulators, and there were definitely differences in the gameplay and layouts. Maybe this isn't standard, what I tried may have been personal mods by people who thought the games were better off with them, but it really put me off of emulators altogether and I haven't tried others since then.

Either way, I like the old hardware and prefer to use it for the old games to get that old childhood feel, and they're a lot more fun to take to social gatherings or friends' homes.

Yeah, maybe it's "game snobbery" but emulators just don't feel the same.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #868 on: August 24, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
So well-rested today. c: Best I can hope for on a Wednesday, but it makes a big difference.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #869 on: August 24, 2016, 11:56:03 AM »
I scored a date with a super catch of a guy in a couple weeks. Something came up and he has to go to a friends wedding but has invited me to go along with... is that serious? We've only met once before... nevertheless I am super pumped about it. Wish me luck~

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #870 on: August 24, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »
I scored a date with a super catch of a guy in a couple weeks. Something came up and he has to go to a friends wedding but has invited me to go along with... is that serious? We've only met once before... nevertheless I am super pumped about it. Wish me luck~
I feel like being asked to go to a wedding can be seen as serious, but here, who knows. Either way, congrats and good luck! ^^

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #871 on: August 24, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
I feel like being asked to go to a wedding can be seen as serious, but here, who knows. Either way, congrats and good luck! ^^

It's not necessarily serious. It's one of those events where you're usually expected to show up with a date here.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #872 on: August 24, 2016, 03:19:25 PM »

It's not necessarily serious. It's one of those events where you're usually expected to show up with a date here.
Thanks!

Yeah I've been to a few weddings in Korea but not random ones lol I guess I'll find out if its serious or not... haha

Offline lazerbullet

• Veteran
  • Welcome to ghost time
« Reply #873 on: August 24, 2016, 03:39:38 PM »
Feeling very well rested and relaxed after a long-ass vacation with the family, even Spaland last night ... mmm. Happy humpday everyone!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #874 on: August 25, 2016, 10:50:50 AM »
Was waiting at a bus stop yesterday and a bunch of ajummas started talking to me (old people seem to like talking to me for some reason, even if I tell them I don't speak much Korean). I was able to understand roughly (basic stuff, like where are you going? Are you from there? What are you doing? The bus goes there at this time) and respond properly!

They all got up to leave when their bus driver showed up. Then a few moments later I heard honking. I went to check and the bus driver asked where I was going. He told me to just get on his bus because the next bus (that officially goes to my stop) doesn't leave until (only 10 minutes) later.

So I got on the bus and all the ajummas just smiled at me. The bus driver fiddled with some of the air vents and then tells me to move up a seat because where I'm sitting is very hot.

I think that's the nicest bus driver I've come across thus far!  :azn:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #875 on: August 25, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
krissyboo, congrats! Hope it goes well~

Also, the weather today has gotten considerably better. I haven't turned the AC on today and I don't really feel the need to. :D

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #876 on: August 26, 2016, 07:39:37 AM »
"fancy" power converter box arrived yesterday! Now I can play the consoles I brought over after vacationing at home! Probably gonna be more of a hermit but I can't go out every weekend if I wanna save money anyway   ;D I am stupid excited about this hahahah

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #877 on: August 26, 2016, 07:42:55 AM »
krissyboo, congrats! Hope it goes well~

Also, the weather today has gotten considerably better. I haven't turned the AC on today and I don't really feel the need to. :D

Thanks!! <3 me too  :-[

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #878 on: August 26, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
"fancy" power converter box arrived yesterday! Now I can play the consoles I brought over after vacationing at home! Probably gonna be more of a hermit but I can't go out every weekend if I wanna save money anyway   ;D I am stupid excited about this hahahah

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #879 on: August 26, 2016, 08:08:22 AM »
I am working on planning my Chuseok cycling trip along the east coast, and just thinking about spending some time on beaches is making me happy already. And yay, Friday!