September 24, 2018, 02:27:50 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 367151 times)

Offline Nokcha

• Veteran
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #840 on: August 11, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »
Taught the students how to make quesadillas today! They loved 'em!!   ;D
I really enjoy cooking with the students ^^

There were a few extra tortillas left over and one group still had a lot of sauteed veggies left so they made a monster quesadilla  :laugh: It basically exploded when they tried to cut it into pieces

I made quesadillas with a class a couple of years ago, and the kids loved. Funny little side story: I also brought some salsa for the kids to try. They wouldn't touch it at all. I kept telling them it had all the ingredients they know: tomatoes, garlic, onions, etc. But no go. Then something clicked, and I remembered that the Korean word for diarrhea sounds like sow oo sa (or something similar). Anyway, it sounds enough like salsa to the kids. Finally, one student dipped a tiny bit of the corner of their quesadilla into the salsa and that was that. Confirmation. The kids loved it.

Offline Nokcha

• Veteran
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #841 on: August 11, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
Camp's done. It was probably the  best camp I've had in the four and a half years I've been here. To make things even better, my school says I can "work from home" instead of deskwarming, so I'm going to have a nice, loooooon summer break.

So jealous. I tried asking them to do this, but my co-teacher, whom I adore, goes strictly by the book and contacted SMOE to see if it was a possibility. No go. Whoever she spoke to said that if the principal were to allow me to do 'home study', then everyone would want to do 'home study', and it wouldn't be fair to those who can't do 'home study'. 

At least my office is cool and quiet, I'm getting a little extra work done, and I'm saving money by not being out and about or staying at home running the air con. :)

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #842 on: August 12, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
Camp is finished. This week was a lot better than last. 3rd and 4th graders think everything is fun. Bless them.

I also get to leave school early and I'm getting ready to jet off to the land of burritos, In-n-Out, and all things weed related. See you in September!

Offline kengreen

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #843 on: August 12, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »
Camp is finished. This week was a lot better than last. 3rd and 4th graders think everything is fun. Bless them.

I also get to leave school early and I'm getting ready to jet off to the land of burritos, In-n-Out, and all things weed related. See you in September!

That sounds like a lot of fun. I envy you.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #844 on: August 18, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
Actually glad to be back from vacation and am having camp with my fave of my 3 schools  :smiley:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #845 on: August 18, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »
I have a nasty cold and this week is my last week at my high school.  Fortunately my KETs all came around to the idea that I shouldn't have to teach, so I've been able to use my desk time to work on my CELTA app again (finally) and catch up on writing some letters that I need to mail before I move on Saturday.

One of my students is also really keen on studying abroad and recently got the idea of going to high school in the US into his head.  We looked into it and I think high school is a bit late, but he could definitely do a full 4-year university and he may come do a week-long homestay with my family over Christmas to 'see what the US is like'.  I feel like it's hard for us as NETs to have much of an impact, but this kid seems to have been really inspired and I think the freedom that an American university allows could really benefit him, considering his interests.  I'm really proud of him for wanting to break free from the mold and really chase all the opportunities he has. :azn:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #846 on: August 18, 2016, 11:14:50 AM »
I just really love my kids (of course that's only about 100 out of 1500 but still).

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #847 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06:23 PM »
I just really love my kids (of course that's only about 100 out of 1500 but still).

I feel this! Definitely my favourite thing about Korea

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #848 on: August 18, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »

1500??  :huh: wow, I have 50, been here a year and still struggle with names! Country live vs city life I guess!

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #849 on: August 18, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
Today & tomorrow there will be no classes after lunch because of the heat and a problem with my school's air con.  I can use the extra planning time.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #850 on: August 19, 2016, 08:29:52 AM »
Last day of deskwarming today and then I'm leaving!

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #851 on: August 19, 2016, 08:41:42 AM »

Good luck with your next move!  :azn:

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #852 on: August 19, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »

Good luck with your next move!  :azn:

Thanks  ;D

Offline amormistre

• Waygookin
« Reply #853 on: August 19, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
Our entire school is taking a field trip after lunch to the movies! Happy Friday  ;D

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #854 on: August 22, 2016, 07:25:34 AM »
First day back at school and the first thing I notice is a PAPER CUTTER. I could cry tears of joy!!

Offline SusanZ

• Explorer
« Reply #855 on: August 22, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »
LOL, the entire staff at my school is terrified of paper cutters. (I don't know why, since they all keep razor-shark box cutter knives in their pockets, as do all of the students.) I bought one on Gmarket, and it freaks them out to have it in the teacher's office so it lives in my classroom.  :laugh:

So glad to be back to school - now life will be fun again! ;D

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #856 on: August 22, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »
First day back at work and I don't have to teach classes today. This is how all first days back at work coming from vacation on a Monday should be. c:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #857 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
Agreed! I don't have classes until Wednesday. And then if all is the same, no classes Thurs. or Friday due to a field trip. So I can actually prep lessons in a non-frantic manner  :cheesy: at least for a while...

Also super excited for any down time or travel cause I have a shiny new 3DS now! Got both N64 Zelda remakes and A Link Between Worlds (which I'm stoked for because A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game!). Kinda went a little nuts getting games but figured it'd be much easier while visiting home.

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #858 on: August 22, 2016, 10:25:43 AM »
Double agreed. In any case, first day back, only to find the bathrooms all ripped up and a Goddamn payloader driving around the hallways. I knew the bathrooms were being renovated (the staff and kids actually voted on the designs before vacation, which is pretty cool) but I thought they'd be done by now. Asked the secretaries when the first day of class was and they said Wednesday so I just left. Kinda wish someone had told me though.

Seems like my school has a lot of cash kicking around these days. First the nurse's office gets rebuilt and doubled in size and now this. Hope they aren't blowing the NET budget.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:30:40 AM by SkidMarx »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #859 on: August 22, 2016, 01:25:25 PM »
Halfway through my final contract!!! *happy dance* Just a little over six months left, but it's only about four and a half months to the end of the semester and the end of camp, and then it's a month and a half of vacation and deskwarming (I'll just be having coffee with one of the other teachers or reading the entire time) HALLELUJAH!!!