November 18, 2018, 02:16:07 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 378539 times)

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #580 on: June 24, 2016, 08:46:46 AM »
No classes today. Good hair day. Date tonight. Camping tomorrow. Life is good. ;D
Good luck!! :)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #581 on: June 24, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
Went and saw Independence Day with my bf last night, going out with a friend I haven't seen in a little while tonight, going to a comic book themed BBQ party tomorrow and just found out I have next Thursday off. This semester is so close to being over!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #582 on: June 24, 2016, 08:54:39 AM »
No classes today. Good hair day. Date tonight. Camping tomorrow. Life is good. ;D

Where are you going camping?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #583 on: June 24, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »

Thanks girl!!

A beach just outside of Busan

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #584 on: June 24, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »

Thanks girl!!

A beach just outside of Busan

No, I mean EXACTLY where are you camping?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #585 on: June 24, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
I'm going to share a health and finance lifehack that literally changed my life for the better.

Most people eat sandwiches with two pieces of bread.

If you just use one piece of bread, you're dramatically reducing the number of calories in your sandwich, and also doubling the number of sandwiches you can make before you have to buy more bread.

Why have two sandwiches with tons of bread and empty calories and also spending money on that, when you can have three sandwiches with one piece of bread each, and literally towering with cheap vegetables?

Single-piece-of-bread sandwiches are literally better in every way except for portability. It's not practical to pack them around.

You and your money micro-managing. xD

I buy bread that doesn't have preservatives in it from local bakeries in my area (they taste so much better), so unless I stick it in the freezer (which I hate) it'll grow mold within a week or so. I have purchased pumpkin bread from I think Paris Baguette (or maybe it was Tous le Jours?) before and the slices were too big for a single sandwich, so I cut them down and dried out the pieces I cut away to use as croutons or stuffing. Worked out well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:55:13 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #586 on: June 24, 2016, 01:09:54 PM »
The 6th grade class has four rotating fans on the ceiling and that combined with the air conditioner made the classroom wonderfully cool.

Going to the movies today and I think I'll go to an American restaurant tomorrow and get something that's not oily/spicy/cooked to mush. :)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #587 on: June 24, 2016, 01:53:35 PM »
In this case it's more about not wanting to be fat. My metabolism is super slow. And yeah, I don't have any good bakeries around me, so it's either the terrible Home Plus white bread, or the walnut and whole grain from PB. And yeah, after discounts it's 2000 for five of those giant slices of bread. So instead of two and a half sandwiches, I can have five sandwiches. And each of them has fewer calories. Literally more of a better thing.

Ah, I see. I haven't had the walnut bread from PB in so long, I miss it now. Might have to go out and buy some -- I normally use a slice to fold over beef I've boiled in tomato sauce. Delicious.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #588 on: June 24, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
In this case it's more about not wanting to be fat. My metabolism is super slow. And yeah, I don't have any good bakeries around me, so it's either the terrible Home Plus white bread, or the walnut and whole grain from PB. And yeah, after discounts it's 2000 for five of those giant slices of bread. So instead of two and a half sandwiches, I can have five sandwiches. And each of them has fewer calories. Literally more of a better thing.

Ah, I see. I haven't had the walnut bread from PB in so long, I miss it now. Might have to go out and buy some -- I normally use a slice to fold over beef I've boiled in tomato sauce. Delicious.

Wait, what? That sounds hella rad. You just... boil beef? In tomato sauce? I've literally never heard of that before but it sounds delicious and simple.

PB had a legitimate normal-sized slice whole wheat 'Roman meal' bread on the shelf for like two weeks. It was amazing, really toothsome, and had what I imagine was some fiber. And then it disappeared. Guess it was just too future.

Lifehack number 2:

If you boil ramen noodles for like 30 seconds and drain the water, you remove a very large portion of the oil and calories from the noodles. Just add it back in and finish your ramen up as usual.

Yeah, I just add a little water to the sauce if it's too thick, add spices (I normally only use pepper and rosemary, but whatever floats anyone's boat) and pop in the beef. Comes out super tender and flavorful.

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #589 on: June 24, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »
Went and saw Independence Day with my bf last night, going out with a friend I haven't seen in a little while tonight, going to a comic book themed BBQ party tomorrow and just found out I have next Thursday off. This semester is so close to being over!

How was Independence Day?  Would you recommend it?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #590 on: June 24, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
Looks like the crazy rain here might let up just in time for Friday evening! This is making me very happy  :cheesy:

Lifehack number 2:

If you boil ramen noodles for like 30 seconds and drain the water, you remove a very large portion of the oil and calories from the noodles. Just add it back in and finish your ramen up as usual.

Thanks for that one #basedcowboy ;D

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #591 on: June 24, 2016, 02:42:50 PM »

It was alright. I liked the first one a lot better, but this was still enjoyable. Pretty corny, but still fun.

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #592 on: June 24, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »

It was alright. I liked the first one a lot better, but this was still enjoyable. Pretty corny, but still fun.

Did they upload some more viruses?

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #593 on: June 27, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »
One of my co-teachers came to me this morning after my first two classes and she told me she would be taking over all of my afternoon classes to prepare for the final exams.  I'm done for the day!  Easiest Monday ever.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:23:36 AM by HabsFanInKorea »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #594 on: June 27, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »

Did they upload some more viruses?
I will neither confirm nor deny for fear of spoilers.

(I don't know how intense people are about Independence Day, but I figured better cover my bases.)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #595 on: June 27, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
One of my third graders told my co that she wanted to come to English camp this summer because I was teaching it, which made me feel all warm and fuzzy. (I'd better work hard at making it fun and worth their while!)

Also I'd been looking for some sort of small shelving stand to have at the foot of my bed for cords and whatnot, and near the recycle pile outside my apartment was the cutest little wooden storage thing with a couple drawers (not sure what the specific name is) and it's perfect. It's a little tragic how excited I am about it but it was just what I was looking for and it was free!

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #596 on: June 27, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »
When I walked in the cafeteria today one of the 1st graders (elem.) saw me and shouted "hello teacher!!" Then the other 1st graders saw me and stood up to wave--food still in their mouths, almost falling over their chairs and each other-- and shout hello across the cafeteria. They were so cute and enthusiastic that all the teachers started laughing.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #597 on: June 27, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
A teacher just gifted me with "premium" nail clippers and tweezers. Lol what

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #598 on: June 27, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »
A teacher just gifted me with "premium" nail clippers and tweezers. Lol what

I have a mattress that is labeled "Super Gold Plus".

Do you think the locals would every buy a "silver" or "bronze" mattress?

Offline Sophyra

• Adventurer
« Reply #599 on: June 28, 2016, 03:26:45 PM »
Small victory today.

My main school gives me a lot of freedom when it comes to teaching. So I've started teaching 3rd grade phonics at the beginning of class. I have double block periods with 3rd grade so I spend a lot of time with them on Tuesdays.

Anyways, today I introduced the short 'a' and 'e'. And the first class wasn't understanding the short 'a' - even though this is NOT the first time they've heard it. However, it is the first time I've labeled it as such and asked the students to circle words that have that sound. They also had to put the words in ABC order.
The first class was having a really hard time because they can't really read yet, and the sight of the words just put them off trying. My main CoT was really doubtful they could do it, saying it was too hard for them. But I insisted we continued and finish because I've noticed that my 6th graders can't sound out words or put words in alphabetical order very well (especially when using a dictionary).

I went to sound out and say each word so they could focus on hearing the sound and played the Alphablocks episode that talks about the short 'a'. Great series for phonics btw.  :azn:

After trudging through the lesson and doing the book portion, they took a break and we started the 2nd block. I again, started with phonics, this time the short 'e'. The setup was the same. Listen the Alphablocks, circle the words with that sound, and put those words in ABC order.

And you know what? They got it!  ;D
They listened, circled the correct words and even put them in alphabetical order with little problems. Just one of those moments of small victories. I knew it was hard for them and a lot of new information, but I know it's something that will really help them with English.
 :azn: :azn: :azn: :azn: :azn: