December 14, 2018, 11:44:36 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 389219 times)

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #520 on: June 15, 2016, 02:32:55 PM »
 :azn:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #521 on: June 16, 2016, 08:23:05 AM »
Hamstring is still really tight, but it's healed enough now that I can run and jump again. Taking way less time to heal than I'd predicted, especially since I had a little bruising a couple of days after both hearing and feeling a pop at the time of injury.

I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought. c:

AND, half of my classes are canceled today.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #522 on: June 16, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
Wasps and bees keep flying in through the open windows in the teacher's office, and my KTs finally broke: closed the windows and turned on the A/C. c:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #523 on: June 16, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
School just agreed to the change I requested for my vacation days. I was expecting a fight, but they were all just, "Yeah, okay, works better for us anyway."

Love this school.

Offline moc-moc-a-moc!

• Super Waygook
« Reply #524 on: June 16, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
Thanks to some construction at my primary school the four weeks of summer camp I was dreading has been reduced to two. Hooray.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #525 on: June 16, 2016, 07:52:10 PM »

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #526 on: June 17, 2016, 07:58:51 AM »
I was having such a crummy week and then last night my friend and I went and sang at 노래방 for 2 hours, completely sober, and it was amazing. It cheered me up so much and now its FRIDAY! Horray! :azn:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #527 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:45 AM »
Sometimes I sit with the Special Education teacher at lunch (because she speaks better English than half my co-teachers  :undecided: ) so I've gotten to know one of her students who sits with her also. He's usually too shy to speak to me in English so he'll ask her if he can ask me questions and she'll translate for me and then he'll be on a roll.

Today he was in my office to do a speaking test for Chinese and I say hello then go back to wasting time, as usual. Then he comes up to me to start a conversation! We exchange ~how are yous~ and talk about our weekends and stuff. I am so fond of him. He is just the best.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #528 on: June 17, 2016, 08:28:43 AM »
Went to Jeonju for a field trip. Pretty cool place! Got to eat a handmade choco pie, the famed Jeonju bibimbap, and dress up in hanbok, among other things. Even got to see a soccer game! I think that's the first professional soccer game I've ever been to, hahah. Within the first few minutes, a player had fallen and medics rushed over-- the player was okay so they just patted him on the head and everyone went their merry way lol. I'm really happy that my school is really inclusive-- they decided I should go on this field trip to experience some Korean culture  :azn:

And now it's Friday  8)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #529 on: June 17, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
It's Friday, all of my classes are cancelled, and the weather is so nice today. :) I brought a book with me to school so I'm just going to read all day.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #530 on: June 17, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »
I won!!! I finally got a message from gmarket (three months after the initial order) that the seller is giving me a full refund! They were saying that they would only give me a half refund because he wanted to charge me for the return fee, but that was his mistake for addressing it wrong. So finally, I am getting my money back. Hallelujah.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #531 on: June 21, 2016, 07:59:12 AM »
Well, apparently all classes are canceled today for testing.  Tuesdays are my busiest day so, no complaints  :laugh:

...Time to work on that CELTA application... :cry:

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #532 on: June 21, 2016, 08:10:21 AM »
Well, apparently all classes are canceled today for testing.  Tuesdays are my busiest day so, no complaints  :laugh:

Same.  Wonder what the hale they're testing for this time.  Regular exams are coming up fairly soon.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #533 on: June 21, 2016, 08:30:23 AM »

Same.  Wonder what the hale they're testing for this time.  Regular exams are coming up fairly soon.

My calendar say 학업성취도평가 which translates as "achievement assessment".  We also had testing with in the first few weeks of the semester for something similar, so I believe they're national standardized tests meant to track overall progress and growth, independent of a school's individual curriculum and midterm/final exam testing.

Also, my principal just came in, told me "Happy birthday," had me sign a paper, and gave me a little envelope with 20,000KRW worth of vouchers for shopping/movies?!  :huh:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #534 on: June 21, 2016, 08:32:33 AM »

My calendar say 학업성취도평가 which translates as "achievement assessment".  We also had testing with in the first few weeks of the semester for something similar, so I believe they're national standardized tests meant to track overall progress and growth, independent of a school's individual curriculum and midterm/final exam testing.

Also, my principal just came in, told me "Happy birthday," had me sign a paper, and gave me a little envelope with 20,000KRW worth of vouchers for shopping/movies?!  :huh:
Yeah, I just got a large sum of vouchers for Emart from my school. Never figured out why, bu I really needed to go grocery shopping, so it was appreciated!

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #535 on: June 21, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »

My last school would actually have practice tests just about everyday for about a week to 10 days before the standardized tests, though I'm pretty sure they just did them during Korean class and it didn't really impede on English classes too much.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:22:57 PM by Action Jackson »

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #536 on: June 21, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
little angel 4th graders are everything that little demon 6th graders are not

I have 3 4th grade classes for double periods on Tuesdays. So 90 mins with each class. Sounds like a nightmare but teaching them is a breeze. We played a super simple mystery bag game in the first period and in the 10 minute break between classes they asked if they could carry on playing the game between themselves. Then they played English hangman, completely unprompted. They're so sweet and motivated. 4th graders in my old school were great too. I don't know what it is about 4th grade that make them an absolute joy to teach but I'm not complaining!

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #537 on: June 21, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »
little angel 4th graders are everything that little demon 6th graders are not

I have 3 4th grade classes for double periods on Tuesdays. So 90 mins with each class. Sounds like a nightmare but teaching them is a breeze. We played a super simple mystery bag game in the first period and in the 10 minute break between classes they asked if they could carry on playing the game between themselves. Then they played English hangman, completely unprompted. They're so sweet and motivated. 4th graders in my old school were great too. I don't know what it is about 4th grade that make them an absolute joy to teach but I'm not complaining!
I taught 4th grade at an immersion school for a number of years, simply the best grade to teach. 

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #538 on: June 21, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »
Found a crafting idea that went over great with all of my after school groups. Even if the 4th graders pretended they were too cool. I impressed my 3rd graders with the few Korean words I know (classroom words). And I am prepared a whole day in advanced my for kindergarten class.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #539 on: June 21, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »
Was waiting for a bus on the outskirts of a bigger city recently and there were two older men waiting in line in front of me. The bus finally arrived and to my surprise, they both turned and gestured for me to go first.

I guess I was particularly surprised because one was in a business suit so I figured he'd be all bali bali and rushing to get on first. Guess he's not like them ahjummas, all elbows and shoves lol.

A really simple but kind gesture that rather made my day!