February 23, 2019, 04:34:29 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 411820 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2640 on: November 28, 2018, 01:36:55 PM »
The damage might be minimal, but there's still damage, and it's accountable. If one person can do it, then everyone can. That adds up when you're constantly passing people doing the same thing.
That applies to barbecues as well. Should we ban outdoor grilling? You probably get more in 1 hour of sitting around a campfire or in a Korean BBQ charcoal restaurant than a lifetime of passing people.

I didn't say it overrode any other toxins, only that other toxins don't suddenly negate it and make it okay, and people have the right to control that much at least.
There comes a point where your concerns pass beyond reason and become obsession. This is one of those. The amount of money spent enforcing such an insignificant threat is in itself causing death. That money spent on THE DANGER of passing someone on the sidewalk could be spent on giving medical treatment to 12 people currently dealing with diseases and have a more positive effect. We don't live in a world of unlimited resources and concerns and starting a crusade to stop something that is such an insignificant danger is utterly irrational.

Outside of that, it's just ****** rude to expose people to toxins when it's well within your control to not do so.
How many toxins are you exposing people to with stuff you do for fun? Think long and hard about this and go into the full scale of what your "fun" means.

Except this is backed by science and fact. It isn't subjective
No it isn't. Studies involving children raised by smokers indoors are not applicable to people opposed to occasional passing cigarette smoke as pedestrians.

So you're telling me that people can't enjoy themselves and do all of those things without smoking? And what about the many people who go to every single one of those places who don't smoke? And the people who work there?
The bar is more fun if you can smoke there.

You're free to open up a non-smoking bar. Let us have a smoking bar. That seems fair, right? It's a private business. You don't have to come to our smoking bar. And the people who work there can be smokers too.

It's like you can swing your arms around as much as you want, but your right to swing your fists around ends at the tip of another man's nose
Just like no one forces you to step into a boxing ring, no one forces you to step into a bar with smoking.

If you want to talk outdoor smoking and use your standard for something that is such a negligible risk, then let's take it to the logical conclusion and find out what fun things you enjoy that we can ban. I'm sure we can find a good half dozen at least that are exposing people to dangerous things.

For the majority, it's about having control over what goes into their own bodies.
Yes, I have control over my own body to go into a private club or bar and smoke.

I don't want it in my lungs if I don't have to have it there.
Again, let's apply this standard to every single bit of entertainment in your life.

It's not practical to ban animal defecation. It can't be done. But people can clean up after their pets and properly dispose of their waste.
We could force pets indoors. I have a right not to be exposed to their pathogens.

Again, this is about lines and what is pragmatic.
Your smoking ban is not pragmatic. It's such a negligible risk relative to other factors, and the use of funds spent on it could be better spent elsewhere.

1) Most of them aren't smokers.
2) The ones who are have to follow the same rules as everyone else.
3) Non-smokers have the right to protect their healths.

You ever work in low-end food service? Bars and clubs? Much higher rates of smoking than some upscale restaurant. And I agree with smoking bans in restaurants until say, 10pm. I think the free market has made it clear that non-smoking is beneficial to places like Chipotle or Outback. But some greasy spoon whose primary clientele is drunks at 2AM?

And again, NO ONE FORCES YOU TO WORK OR PATRONIZE THOSE PLACES.

I just don't understand the mindset of someone who thinks they should be able to go into a private club and tell them to ban smoking.

4) People's personal health > People's personal habits. If one directly affects the other, than all other points are moot.
All other points are not moot. That's simplistic thinking that doesn't acknowledge the fact that we live in a cost-benefit world with limited resources and a respect for freedoms and choice. You can sue "health" to justify virtually anything, much like "national security" or any other concept the government uses to increase control over people.

Offline elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #2641 on: November 28, 2018, 01:40:17 PM »
Martin, stop derailing this thread with your incessant need to argue.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #2642 on: November 28, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »

It really wasn't his or Chingurtti's fault.  It was mine.  I asked a heated question.  I take full responsibility for this mess....

Offline annataleen

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #2643 on: November 28, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »
Hi everyone. I agree that this thread is way off topic. This is supposed to be the Raving/Happy thread, but it has turned into something else.

Please keep this thread happy.

If you don't have something positive to say on this thread, move on.

Thank you.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2644 on: November 28, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »

It really wasn't his or Chingurtti's fault.  It was mine.  I asked a heated question.  I take full responsibility for this mess....
It wasn't your fault. I didn't have an issue with what you said. But if someone can give their strong opinion, I can give mine.

You're good, man.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #2645 on: November 28, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »

It wasn't your fault. I didn't have an issue with what you said. But if someone can give their strong opinion, I can give mine.

You're good, woman.

fixed!   :wink:

Offline elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #2646 on: November 28, 2018, 01:51:36 PM »

Nah, they're both adults.  The devolution of the argument is on them. If y'all want to debate smoking, make your own thread for it.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2647 on: November 28, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »

It was a legitimate question, and there was nothing wrong with asking it. I gave you my reasons for holding public smokers in contempt, Martin felt like he needed to address that, and I responded to it.

We both took it further than this thread was meant to host.

You don't need to apologize for our actions, it wasn't your fault at all. Disagreements happen online. Someone could say that they hate unicorns, and people will argue about that.

So don't worry about it, let everyone slam on us if they want to, we deserve it. I don't really care, and Martin is quite impervious to it, lol.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2648 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:39 AM »
The smoking rate of men, who are the primary smokers in this country, revealed this month showed the lowest ever at 38.1 percent.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20181126000719

Awesome! Only 4 out of 10 Korean men are now smokers. It's going down!

That is good news! 

Something I've always wondered about though; why do others care if people smoke or not?  I can see if you're stuck inside a room with someone puffing away, or the mess on the ground from people throwing their butts all over etc etc. but I always wonder at those who (melodramatically) start coughing when they walk by someone who's smoking, or start waving their hands like they're being attacked by a swarm of bees when they see or smell smoke.  I see these acts more back in the States than I do here.  I agree smoking is gross, but I would never act the way some people do around smokers or treat someone with contempt because they do.

I don't care if people smoke, but they shouldn't do it in a public space IMO.
I don't want to smell that stuff *In Morgan Freeman's voice: But he didn't say stuff*
At work, there is usually a smoking area, otherwise, save it until you are at home.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2649 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:40 AM »

You don't need to apologize for our actions, it wasn't your fault at all. Disagreements happen online. Someone could say that they hate unicorns, and people will argue about that.

No they won't!

Offline AnnyeongAnnie

• Waygookin
« Reply #2650 on: November 29, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
Hello Waygooks.
I'm just popping in to say that I have spent the last two days between classes reading through most of this entire thread. I was so thrilled to see something so happy in the forums while most things tend to take a turn for the not-so-nice.

I'll add my happy moment!

I had to cover one of the other NET's two-hour night class last night (sounds bad, I know, but just you wait, Henry Higgins), and instead of the four students coming to class, there were just two. These are two of my own students that I see on a weekly basis, both very quiet, very shy to use English. Having that one on one time with them last night, I think, has helped their confidence with English. I now know that these boys both need a little extra help and maybe a Korean translation every now and then, but they do know what they're doing.
So, my 'proud mama' moment has propelled me into planning lessons with just a touch more Korean to help my precious students understand a little easier.

AND. I was greeted at my desk this morning with some Vitamin C drinks, tea bags, and an apple. I don't know who left them, but my immune system is very happy for these treats!   :smiley: :cheesy: ;D

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #2651 on: November 29, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
Hello Waygooks.
I'm just popping in to say that I have spent the last two days between classes reading through most of this entire thread. I was so thrilled to see something so happy in the forums while most things tend to take a turn for the not-so-nice.

I had to cover one of the other NET's two-hour night class last night (sounds bad, I know, but just you wait, Henry Higgins), and instead of the four students coming to class, there were just two. These are two of my own students that I see on a weekly basis, both very quiet, very shy to use English. Having that one on one time with them last night, I think, has helped their confidence with English. I now know that these boys both need a little extra help and maybe a Korean translation every now and then, but they do know what they're doing.
So, my 'proud mama' moment has propelled me into planning lessons with just a touch more Korean to help my precious students understand a little easier.

AND. I was greeted at my desk this morning with some Vitamin C drinks, tea bags, and an apple. I don't know who left them, but my immune system is very happy for these treats!   :smiley: :cheesy: ;D

That's awesome!  I love when I can get through to my kids.  Makes my heart so happy! 

and bonus for the yummy treats! 

I love happy moments, even if they don't involve me.    :smiley:

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #2652 on: November 29, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »

No they won't!

Yes they will!
I also detest and love unicorns!

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2653 on: November 29, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
I think the highlight of this past week was doing the speaking tests, looking at the name list to see who's next, and seeing the name "이혁" which is literally pronounced "EE-HYUCK" for you non-Hangeul readers.

I know it's absolutely not right to laugh at someone's name, but I found myself hard to contain when I realized that I'd be testing Goofy's English skills that day.
The World Ends With You

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #2654 on: November 29, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
I think the highlight of this past week was doing the speaking tests, looking at the name list to see who's next, and seeing the name "이혁" which is literally pronounced "EE-HYUCK" for you non-Hangeul readers.

I know it's absolutely not right to laugh at someone's name, but I found myself hard to contain when I realized that I'd be testing Goofy's English skills that day.

You: There will be a speaking test today.

Students:

The joys of fauxtherhood

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2655 on: November 30, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
Look at that! Not a single US Politics thread in sight! This is a huge step-up change from the past several months!  ;D
The World Ends With You

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2656 on: November 30, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
Look at that! Not a single US Politics thread in sight! This is a huge step-up change from the past several months!   ;D

Maybe everyone's finally realised what a great president Trump is.   :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2657 on: December 14, 2018, 12:21:53 PM »
I've had every class canceled today.

Best way to end a Friday.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #2658 on: December 14, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
Ah yeah, this thread got resurrected! I was thinking I have some reasons to be happy.

1) Working on my youtube channel
2) Eating a lot healthier and drinking a lot less
3) Just feel good generally
4) Met a really nice girl and things are going super well.

It's Friday and I'm seeing 3 movies this weekend in theatres; Brokeback, Spiderman and Blue is the Warmest Colour.

It's coincidental that I'm seeing two of the most important LGBT films ever made. hahahahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #2659 on: December 14, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
Hello Waygooks.

That's great! I totally understand your feeling. One of my special needs students in the 3rd grade has been doing so well lately. I always try to spend extra time with him and break things down slowly. He's improved so much with the extra attention. His fellow students are helpful and work with him well, too. It really warms your heart when your students work hard and succeed. He's able to understand and answer questions for the last two lessons in English on his own now. I'm so happy for him!