November 13, 2018, 02:30:07 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 376513 times)

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2580 on: August 23, 2018, 07:30:28 AM »
For whatever reason, classes at my 2nd school are all 30 minutes long today. And since I only teach the 1st 4 periods, I'm gonna be done by 11:10 AM. Time for podcasts and Youtu- Err, I mean deskwarming  8)

Edit: The typhoon is a pretty good reason now that I think about it
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:35:05 AM by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2581 on: August 23, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
Good news: School is closed tomorrow for Typhoon.
Bad news: Waiting on the subway and a mentally ill guy is shouting to himself opposite the screen doors.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2582 on: September 02, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
Cancelled school lunch in my school for September and will now be doing keto meal prep Sundays.

Sans wine, obv
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2583 on: September 02, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »
Cancelled school lunch in my school for September and will now be doing keto meal prep Sundays.

Sans wine, obv

You need some new wallpaper. Ladies aren't gonna like that. :P

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2584 on: September 02, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »

That was from the great makgeolli explosion of 2017. Swingtop bottles don't let gas out, hahaha. Everyone who comes over actually thinks it's pretty funny. They're usually there drinking my brew anyway. hahahaha

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2585 on: September 03, 2018, 07:55:33 AM »

That was from the great makgeolli explosion of 2017. Swingtop bottles don't let gas out, hahaha. Everyone who comes over actually thinks it's pretty funny. They're usually there drinking my brew anyway. hahahaha

I guess there was too much CO2.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2586 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2587 on: September 03, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »

Sans wine, obv

EWWWWW eggs, asparagus, wine, and what looks like mushrooms D: haha
But good on ya for prepping meals. I'm planning to that from next week. I need to buy more containers, so I can cook lots on Sunday, and store them in the freezer.
I've been getting lazy lately in regards to cooking. :p

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2588 on: September 05, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
Have one 6th grade class with a bunch of boys who have a rather high level of English, aren't shy and are extremely inquisitive about life outside Korea. Whenever I have this class, the lesson usually gets derailed for a solid 20min as they ask questions (all in English) about western culture etc. My CT is very much on board with it too and just as curious. Their confidence and enthusiasm encourages the other students to ask questions too.

Last week, I explained the differences in gaming culture and why you won't find "PC Bangs" in the west, despite gaming being very popular.

Today, I explained what I'd define as a westerner (someone hailing from a country which is either in the EU or colonized by a European nation at some point) and how westerners share a certain degree of culture, but also differ, and how we differ from Koreans... Specifically, my students wanted to know why eating things like kimchi and 된장 soup for breakfast was something most westerners avoided.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2589 on: September 05, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »
Specifically, my students wanted to know why eating things like kimchi and 된장 soup for breakfast was something most westerners avoided.

Shudder
The World Ends With You

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2590 on: September 05, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
Specifically, my students wanted to know why eating things like kimchi and 된장 soup for breakfast was something most westerners avoided.

Shudder

Are you shuddering at being asked questions by students? Or westerners avoiding Korean food for breakfast?

Shuddering at the thought of eating kimchi for breakfast
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2591 on: September 05, 2018, 02:48:15 PM »
I don't like kimchi unless it's cooked.

I would totally eat kimchi bacon for breakfast.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2592 on: September 05, 2018, 03:07:21 PM »

Shudder

Are you shuddering at being asked questions by students? Or westerners avoiding Korean food for breakfast?

Oh, haha. I didn't even consider that.

Years ago on a 3 day trip to Ullreungdo, I almost went a bit taste-bud mental because I just couldn't eat Korean food for every single meal for three days.  Being vegetarian in the squid capital island also made it particularly difficult.  It was the same last Chuseok, and that was only dinner/breakfast/lunch eating the same food specially prepared by my MIL. Tasty as it was, three times in succession.........  I'll grin and bear it, but am always happy when I can add a little variety.

Reminds me of the Chuseok 3 years when wife and I stayed went down to visit her father's relatives. We went around to 3 different relatives and ate the same foods at all 3 places. Had to fake my delight once we reached the last relative's apartment. On a positive note, my wife was insistent that we were not staying a night down there and took the KTX back home later that night.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2593 on: September 05, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »

Shudder

Oh, haha. I didn't even consider that.

Years ago on a 3 day trip to Ullreungdo, I almost went a bit taste-bud mental because I just couldn't eat Korean food for every single meal for three days.  Being vegetarian in the squid capital island also made it particularly difficult.  It was the same last Chuseok, and that was only dinner/breakfast/lunch eating the same food specially prepared by my MIL. Tasty as it was, three times in succession.........  I'll grin and bear it, but am always happy when I can add a little variety.

Reminds me of the Chuseok 3 years when wife and I stayed went down to visit her father's relatives. We went around to 3 different relatives and ate the same foods at all 3 places. Had to fake my delight once we reached the last relative's apartment. On a positive note, my wife was insistent that we were not staying a night down there and took the KTX back home later that night.

Did they like, try to feed you spaghetti, and like, stereotypical 'western' food, or something? That would be miserable.

No, the same meat, rice, soup, and side dishes. Probably, would be an improvement on Korean style Italian food aka "Cream spaghetti".

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2594 on: September 07, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
My old CT is finally back from her maternity leave. The past semester, her replacement (a nice, but older lady) has been almost 0 help in every class we've had (Save a few brief explanations on something I was teaching). It's good to have her back since she actually tries to discipline the students and isn't in the mindset of "they're just kids, that's how they are."

Thank the heavens!!
The World Ends With You

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2595 on: September 07, 2018, 12:05:23 PM »
Now you'll know how your wife will feel when she has Thanksgiving dinner at 3 different people's houses and has the same meal at each one.

"Oh great, another meal of the same dry bird drizzled in brown liquid fat, mashed potatoes drowned in brown liquid fat, some dish drowned in cheese and fat, and the same pie from Kroger's."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:07:51 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #2596 on: September 07, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »
Now you'll know how your wife will feel when she has Thanksgiving dinner at 3 different people's houses and has the same meal at each one.

"Oh great, another meal of the same dry bird drizzled in brown liquid fat, mashed potatoes drowned in brown liquid fat, some dish drowned in cheese and fat, and the same pie from Kroger's."

Wow you must have had horrible thanksgivings... :(. Mine were always super good where at my moms and dads place they always made sure to not have the same main dish.

Pro tip: Pump up your timing skills not to have a dry bird. 

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2597 on: September 07, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
Wow you must have had horrible thanksgivings... :(. Mine were always super good where at my moms and dads place they always made sure to not have the same main dish.

I had great Thanksgivings.

But I'm also aware of how American Thanksgiving food can (and is) perceived by people who didn't grow up with it and come from a totally different background in terms of taste and food.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #2598 on: September 07, 2018, 01:09:55 PM »

I had great Thanksgivings.

But I'm also aware of how American Thanksgiving food can (and is) perceived by people who didn't grow up with it and come from a totally different background in terms of taste and food.

Perceived as amazing? Yeah I know! :P 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2599 on: September 07, 2018, 01:11:57 PM »
"Oh great, another meal of the same dry bird drizzled in brown liquid fat

The secret is knowing how to make a bird wet.