November 18, 2018, 09:35:39 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 378447 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2440 on: April 10, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
Don't have a credit card....................................... Bank transfer!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #2441 on: April 11, 2018, 02:13:04 PM »
I had a successful 3rd grade class for once!!

Those who wanted to learn came and sat by me and did the lesson and others who I have issues with sat on their phones.  When another teacher came in I just looked at her and the kids and went back to the lesson so she could deal with them.

I told her last week I couldn't teach them and it was a waste of time and she saw it firsthand when they didn't listen to her either .

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2442 on: April 11, 2018, 02:15:28 PM »

Those who wanted to learn came and sat by me and did the lesson and others who I have issues with sat on their phones.  When another teacher came in I just looked at her and the kids and went back to the lesson so she could deal with them.

I told her last week I couldn't teach them and it was a waste of time and she saw it firsthand when they didn't listen to her either .

Take any success you can get  :laugh: It's not worth stressing over the kids who won't even try. Focus on the ones who reciprocate your efforts.
The World Ends With You

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2443 on: April 11, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »
I think I've stumbled onto the secret to making Korean food. All these years I thought the key ingredient to an authentic Korean taste was red pepper, or maybe garlic or soy sauce.

Nope.

It's sesame oil.

I'm on another one of my "let's try eating healthy for a change" kicks, so I've been trying to make different variations of vegetarian multigrain rice bibimbap. One of the vegetables I bought to put in it was fresh spinach, but it was a bit weird. I decided to learn to make sigeumchi namul out of it to mix that in instead, and that fit much better. However, since I substituted olive oil for the sesame oil the recipe called for, the sigeumchi namul tasted a bit... wrong. Not bad, mind you, just not authentic.

I had soy bean sprouts on hand, so the next day I decided I wanted to learn to make proper kongnamul to add to my bibimbap. Taking the lesson I learned from the sigeumchi namul, I picked up a bottle of sesame oil on the way home from work. I made the kongnamul last night, and holy sh!t, you guys, it tasted right. Not only did the kongnamul taste right, but mixing it into my bibimbap made it taste right, too. For the first time ever, something I cooked myself actually made me think "Whoah, this legit tastes like Korean food." I'm convinced that was thanks in large part to the sesame oil.

It's actually kinda sad how stoked I am that I was able to cook two of the simplest korean dishes known to man. Considering I have on more than one occasion managed to f*ck up Kraft mac & cheese, though, I'll allow myself to be pleased with my burgeoning culinary prowess. My last class of the day was cancelled today, and I've spent the past 45 minutes looking up vegetarian korean recipes, haha.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #2444 on: April 11, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »
I think I've stumbled onto the secret to making Korean food. All these years I thought the key ingredient to an authentic Korean taste was red pepper, or maybe garlic or soy sauce.

Nope.

It's sesame oil.

I'm on another one of my "let's try eating healthy for a change" kicks, so I've been trying to make different variations of vegetarian multigrain rice bibimbap. One of the vegetables I bought to put in it was fresh spinach, but it was a bit weird. I decided to learn to make sigeumchi namul out of it to mix that in instead, and that fit much better. However, since I substituted olive oil for the sesame oil the recipe called for, the sigeumchi namul tasted a bit... wrong. Not bad, mind you, just not authentic.

I had soy bean sprouts on hand, so the next day I decided I wanted to learn to make proper kongnamul to add to my bibimbap. Taking the lesson I learned from the sigeumchi namul, I picked up a bottle of sesame oil on the way home from work. I made the kongnamul last night, and holy sh!t, you guys, it tasted right. Not only did the kongnamul taste right, but mixing it into my bibimbap made it taste right, too. For the first time ever, something I cooked myself actually made me think "Whoah, this legit tastes like Korean food." I'm convinced that was thanks in large part to the sesame oil.

It's actually kinda sad how stoked I am that I was able to cook two of the simplest korean dishes known to man. Considering I have on more than one occasion managed to f*ck up Kraft mac & cheese, though, I'll allow myself to be pleased with my burgeoning culinary prowess. My last class of the day was cancelled today, and I've spent the past 45 minutes looking up vegetarian korean recipes, haha.

I love that feeling! Finally nailing a recipe after a lot of effort is an underrated joy imo.

When I was a kid, my mom and I would eat Pho at least once a week in our old town. We moved out and it was a special occasion to go back to that restaurant and have a massive bowl of Pho. We tried making it at home a few times but it never turned out the same until we finally bought this jar of brown paste (cannot remember the name or brand) and suddenly it was like being in that restaurant again.

The joys of cooking, gotta love em.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2445 on: April 11, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »

Nope.

It's sesame oil.

Good job! This is true. The sesame oil (sometimes 참기름 sometimes 들기림) is almost universally the main seasoning found in most small side dishes.

For the most part, almost everything can get its main flavour from some combination of sesame oil, gochujang, soy sauce, garlic and 된장 in different proportions. But yeah - some blanched veg and sesame oil and a bit of salt almost always tastes pretty decent.

YES. I love me some sesame oil. It makes almost everything better. (Obvs not literally everything but most Korean things.

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #2446 on: April 11, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
^ Agreed

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #2447 on: April 12, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
They fixed my speakers!!

The previous teachers have had to deal with them popping and squeaking and static so loud you can't hear anything. They finally fixed them for me and I am so so happy right now

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2448 on: April 12, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »

Take any success you can get  :laugh: It's not worth stressing over the kids who won't even try. Focus on the ones who reciprocate your efforts.
I had to do that with one class last year. They were little monsters, only class I've ever despised. I ended up teaching about 5 girls while the other 37 students did whatever the hell else.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2449 on: April 12, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
Got off the bus this morning and an ajumma equipped with a large bin full of sandwiches and packs of wet wipes shoved a set at me.  I love freebies such as these  :laugh:  Another time on my way to class I was gifted with a sandwich accompanied with apple juice.

The free food givers are affiliated with some church but I must say that I like their brand of advertising!  That's the way to do it!   :laugh:

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2450 on: April 12, 2018, 02:29:09 PM »
The Principal at my second school is newer than I am at this school. So when we first met, she offered to have conversations with me to practice my Korean during my down time. Once a week I'll go to her office and sit down, have a cup of tea and practice. It's gotten to a point now where practice is actual conversations. I told her about how I was having trouble with some noisy students, and she talked with the VP and my co-teachers. Needless to say, my co-teachers are taking a new approach to assisting me, and I'm all for it.
The World Ends With You

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2451 on: April 13, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »
Got off the bus this morning and an ajumma equipped with a large bin full of sandwiches and packs of wet wipes shoved a set at me.  I love freebies such as these  :laugh:  Another time on my way to class I was gifted with a sandwich accompanied with apple juice.

The free food givers are affiliated with some church but I must say that I like their brand of advertising!  That's the way to do it!   :laugh:
Woah, that's the way to go! I would love that, I've only every gotten tissues or water tissues.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2452 on: April 13, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »

Woah, that's the way to go! I would love that, I've only every gotten tissues or water tissues.

Been in Korea long?  :laugh: Just messing around~~ :afro: :evil: :laugh:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2453 on: April 13, 2018, 12:11:49 PM »

They used to call that "taking the soup" in Ireland.

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #2454 on: April 13, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
Idiom charades is literally the best idea I have ever had as a teacher.

My academic high school students laughed so hard they cried, plus they learned a ton of English that they didn't know already (for some reason, even the fluent ones don't know most idioms).

That was a very satisfying way to end the work week.   ;D
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #2455 on: April 13, 2018, 03:23:34 PM »

My academic high school students laughed so hard they cried, plus they learned a ton of English that they didn't know already (for some reason, even the fluent ones don't know most idioms).

Share with me pleease!  :angel:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2456 on: April 13, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »

I got a pair of socks one time.

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #2457 on: April 14, 2018, 06:13:56 PM »

Share with me pleease!  :angel:

Sure thing! I'll make a post on Monday and let you know ^_^
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2458 on: April 16, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »
I found this brand of Japanese noodles I love, online. The vendor is in Japan, and there is free shipping to Korea, even if you only buy a single packet. :D

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2459 on: April 17, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »

Been in Korea long?  :laugh: Just messing around~~ :afro: :evil: :laugh:
Haha, far too long. It's my last year and I'm finally bouncing in August.