November 19, 2018, 07:17:02 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 378932 times)

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2280 on: October 31, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »
I got a few students doing that earlier too. :P
I said "Trick." And they got confused, because they thought I'd just give them candy lol.
I made them show me a trick to earn their candy. They thought of some neat little tricks, nothing too spectacular, but I gave them a candy anyway. :p
     Here's your chance to shine at being a cultural ambassador! Teach them the age-old classics like "flaming-bag-of-dog-poop-on-doorstep-and-ring-the-bell" or "dead-fish-in-the-AC-inflow-unit", or even "the-'kick-me'-post-it-note" which (for some unfathomable reason) is missing from Korean middle school culture.
 :laugh: :evil: :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2281 on: October 31, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
Brought in a basket of assorted poison candy for the holiday.  The office was pleased with my offering. 

Someone just brought in poison ice cream. 

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2282 on: November 02, 2017, 09:15:15 AM »
Just curious from anyone with personal experience. When did you let your school know that your wife was having a baby, and how do you plan out any time off? I was going to ask Donovan, but he hasn't been around.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #2283 on: November 02, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »
Just curious from anyone with personal experience. When did you let your school know that your wife was having a baby, and how do you plan out any time off? I was going to ask Donovan, but he hasn't been around.
I would prep your coworkers several months in advance. Just mention every once in a while how excited you are, ask for baby advice, etc etc.
Ramp this up as your wife approaches term, then about a month in advance start planning which days you most likely will need to take off.

I feel that a gradual progression will make it easier for your coteachers to understand your need for a brief leave -- and it's a lot harder to say no when for the last couple of months you've been more or less telling them how important it will be.

My 20 won. 

Oh, and congratulations!! :smiley:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2284 on: November 09, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »
So today was second school BEST lunch life.

Donkatsu, of course DELICIOUS and the salad was a nice change of pace but what's this?? JAPAN STYLE MISO RAMEN?

GTFO! What did we do to deserve such bounty?  :azn:

That's it. My life has peaked. It's all downhill from here. Not to mention school lunch is of course ruined for the rest of my time.

I need a cigarette.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2285 on: November 09, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »

Donkatsu, of course DELICIOUS and the salad was a nice change of pace but what's this?? JAPAN STYLE MISO RAMEN?

That's it. My life has peaked. It's all downhill from here. Not to mention school lunch is of course ruined for the rest of my time.

I need a cigarette.

Wow, that does look nice. I always try to avoid the poison sugar sauce they put on the donkatsu, but I won't deny it's tasty. That soup looks awesome.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2286 on: November 09, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »

I need a cigarette.

Wow, that does look nice. I always try to avoid the poison sugar sauce they put on the donkatsu, but I won't deny it's tasty. That soup looks awesome.

Gahh really missing Hakata tonkotsu ramen right now. 

But I might go to Osaka for a brief weekend this month.  One way there so I can get my sweet, sweet pension money  :evil: and then one way back.  Never been before

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2287 on: November 09, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »
Just booked tickets to Indonesia for winter vacation. I have a free tour guide, too.

All I have to do is pay the hotels.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2288 on: November 09, 2017, 01:40:43 PM »
Just booked tickets to Indonesia for winter vacation. I have a free tour guide, too.

Indonesia is one of only two countries (three if you count Brunei, but uh, nobody counts Brunei) in this corner of the world I've never visited. Always wanted to go, though. Bali looks miserable, though.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2289 on: November 09, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »

I know Indo is a pretty big spread out area, and you are probably going to a different area than I did, but I loved it there! So fun and very pretty.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2290 on: November 09, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »

Indonesia is one of only two countries (three if you count Brunei, but uh, nobody counts Brunei) in this corner of the world I've never visited. Always wanted to go, though. Bali looks miserable, though.
What is the second?

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2291 on: November 09, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »

What is the second?

Myanmar. Oh actually, I haven't been to Laos, either. So. That makes three (and Brunei).

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2292 on: November 09, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »
I'm going to Cilacap for 4 days and Yogyakarta for 3. I have people in both so I'll get the deluxe tour, all the genuine shit.

Wouldn't have to stay in a hotel though if Indo Girl's house was done being built. It'll be done in March. Now I risk being arrested by the morality police in a hotel. FML

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2293 on: November 09, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »

My pic doesn't even really do it justice. Rich, deep broth. Springy, perfectly cooked noodles. Couldn't believe I was sitting in the school cafeteria eating something that good TBH

But I might go to Osaka for a brief weekend this month.  One way there so I can get my sweet, sweet pension money  :evil: and then one way back.  Never been before

DO IT! Get your money but instead of coming back to Korea, you know, just stay in Japan forever. That's what I would do. I'm thinking of doing Hokkaido this winter vaca. 8)

Seriously though, yirj17, why are you coming back if you don't need to? I love Korea but if I was done working here I probably wouldn't stick around too long.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #2294 on: November 09, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »
I have mixed feelings about which thread to put this on...but I figured it's more good than bad.
My boss told me I can start my vacation as of January 5th and I don't have to return (if I renew, that's still up in the air) until March 1st so I can visit my family that I haven't seen in years...however, I don't have enough money to go  :laugh: :cry: Back in may 1 way tickets to LA were only $350 taxes included but I didn't know what whether I could go then, so I didn't buy (kicking myself now) and now they are double the price. I am going to keep checking tickets though, hoping for a miracle.
but even I can't go...I have almost two months off! Woot! Woot!
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2295 on: November 09, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »

What is the second?

Myanmar. Oh actually, I haven't been to Laos, either. So. That makes three (and Brunei).
I would still like to go to Myanmar as well.

@CO2: Yogyakarta is cool, but I don't know Cilacap. I went to Lombok for the majority of my time. I had wanted to go see the Komodo dragons since I was 7, so it was really awesome to get down there!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2296 on: November 09, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
@CO2: Yogyakarta is cool, but I don't know Cilacap. I went to Lombok for the majority of my time. I had wanted to go see the Komodo dragons since I was 7, so it was really awesome to get down there!
Yeah, it's not huge on my list but it'll be interesting to meet her friends and see where she lives. I'm going to see a new country, but mostly it's to see her. haha

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2297 on: November 09, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »

DO IT! Get your money but instead of coming back to Korea, you know, just stay in Japan forever. That's what I would do. I'm thinking of doing Hokkaido this winter vaca. 8)

Seriously though, yirj17, why are you coming back if you don't need to? I love Korea but if I was done working here I probably wouldn't stick around too long.

Nah, I got ya.  I loooove me some Japan (and if I had an indefinite stay there, I certainly wouldn't be opposed).  But I'm gonna study Korean for a while at a uni (hopefully whilst working part time as well) and kind of have my "gap year" that I never had.  And I never studied abroad before which I regret, so why not now while I'm not beholden to a career or anything?  Also, curious to see where things might go with this person I'm kinda seeing at the moment so...

Plus, Japan is a mere stone's throw away for anytime I wish to hop over  ;D

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2298 on: November 10, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »

Nah, I got ya.  I loooove me some Japan (and if I had an indefinite stay there, I certainly wouldn't be opposed).  But I'm gonna study Korean for a while at a uni (hopefully whilst working part time as well) and kind of have my "gap year" that I never had.  And I never studied abroad before which I regret, so why not now while I'm not beholden to a career or anything?  Also, curious to see where things might go with this person I'm kinda seeing at the moment so...

Plus, Japan is a mere stone's throw away for anytime I wish to hop over  ;D

Ah you've got a special someone here in Korea, that makes sense. Hope it all works out the way you want it to!

My (Korean) girlfriend and I have been together for a while now and it's starting to feel like I need to either make a real commitment or get out of the way, so to speak. So, yeah, big decisions for me too haha

Anyway, I took evening Korean classes at my local uni for a while (would have continued too, but there weren't enough students for the higher levels this semester :cry:) and IMO it's super helpful. Definitely worth the time and money. If your SO is Korean and/or you have a solid group of Korean friends to practice with, a year of uni classes + solid practice IRL will get you almost, if not completely, fluent. Either way you will be kicking ass and blowing minds, trust me.

...and of course, japan4lyfe  :cheesy:

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2299 on: November 10, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »
My travel school will not have English camp this winter.