October 17, 2018, 03:22:03 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 370805 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2016, 08:58:10 AM »
One of my elementary schools has a grade 3 class where there are 9 boys and only 1 girl.

We got a new student this week-- who is a grade 3 AND a female!

She's not alone anymore! And she seems happier. Not that she seemed unhappy to begin with, but now she doesn't have to be the ONLY girl.

Offline Angelinkorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:42 AM »
Today is Science Day! No classes and everyone except me has been roped in to do host activities.

I toyed with the idea of making myself useful but I have 3 weeks worth of gift cookies and I Claudius episodes on youtube. Not going anywhere.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2016, 09:14:40 AM »
Today is Science Day! No classes and everyone except me has been roped in to do host activities.

I toyed with the idea of making myself useful but I have 3 weeks worth of gift cookies and I Claudius episodes on youtube. Not going anywhere.

Me too. They asked me to help yesterday, but then retracted that request. Now I be chilling at my desk eatin some choco pies.

But, later today we have a "compulsory" teachers trip... :rolleyes:

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
FRIDAY NUMBER 2!!

Yes!! Wednesdays should be off every week

Yes!

Also, I found out that in two weeks all my Friday classes are cancelled ;D
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2016, 09:34:12 AM »
One of my 6th grade students is constantly drawing me pictures and making me origami things and they are absolutely beautiful. I wonder if I should give her something back but I feel that wouldn't be fair to other students. Regardless she is so sweet. Today we were wearing similar baseball tee style shirts and she was over the moon lol

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2016, 09:49:36 AM »
FRIDAY NUMBER 2!!

Yes!! Wednesdays should be off every week

Yes!

Also, I found out that in two weeks all my Friday classes are cancelled ;D

Ah yes midterms! Me too, I'll have no classes Wed, Thurs and Friday that week. 'Tis one of the most wonderful times of the year.

Some of my classes have already been shanghaied by my co-ts in order to cram for the upcoming tests.  8)

Also, continuing my trend of only posting in this thread when my classes are cancelled  :P

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
It's Friday and I'm done with my classes for today, I've got a great trip planned for this weekend, and I don't have any classes to teach Monday-Wednesday next week.

Also, brain is nothing but used up ball of paste right now, looking forward to catching up in sleep.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »
My happy shit for the day:
Morning classes at my travel school were canceled today, so I got to sleep in and take my time packing things for my trip up to Seoul this weekend.  I also have dates.  So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. :undecided:

One of my 6th grade students is constantly drawing me pictures and making me origami things and they are absolutely beautiful. I wonder if I should give her something back but I feel that wouldn't be fair to other students. Regardless she is so sweet. Today we were wearing similar baseball tee style shirts and she was over the moon lol

I don't see why not, as long as it's not done in front of others.  Just make it sentimental, like a drawing you did or something.  Don't do candy or a gift with monetary value.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:09:35 PM by nomadicmadda »

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »
Couldn't agree with the Wednesdays off and having a second Friday this week! :)

As for me I'm finally NOT going to Seoul for the weekend but rather down to Gwangju, do some site seeing and exploring the Boseong green tea fields and getting my taste of the green tea ice cream and actual tea haha.

My students today learned I'm yours and took my cellphone momentarily and ran around with it claiming they wanted to see my supposed girlfriend haha.

So all in all it's a good day.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2016, 01:29:42 PM »
It's Friday and I'm done with my classes for today, I've got a great trip planned for this weekend, and I don't have any classes to teach Monday-Wednesday next week.

Also, brain is nothing but used up ball of paste right now, looking forward to catching up in sleep.

LOL for a second, I thought I was in the ranting thread and as I read this I was like "Good for you? Where's the rant?" :laugh: Clearly, my brain is also a used up ball of paste right now.

Also, I noticed that some users will post in here and the ranting thread back-to-back (myself included) which I think is hilarious. One minute it's OMFG I HATE MY LIFE and in the next YAY I'M SO HAPPY :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (Nomadicmadda just did this hahaha which is why I noticed :laugh: )

Edit: I use the smiley a lot, too, apparently. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:31:50 PM by yirgacheffe »

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
I walked by a little ajumma yesterday in my stylish hater blockers 8) and as I walked by the ajumma she said "멋있어" to herself.  I know I am so cool and awesome but she verified it.   8) Yeah

Offline Allegsue

• Waygookin
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »
I'm sorry if I make people jealous, BUT I just found out I have 3 Thursdays + Fridays off in a row (well one set will be because of the mid terms). I'm pretty happy vibes, not gonna lie.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2016, 03:16:33 PM »
Going on a field trip tomorrow! With my main coT and a handful of students (including one of my favorites!). Unfortunately the trek begins around 6:30am but I think it'll be fun ^^

Also, I just scored near a dozen tomatoes! Apparently it was the snack of choice today (I can't eat them alone, need a burger or something to go with it, hahah) and on Fridays the leftover snacks get dumped on the lone foreigner  8)

Time to find some tomato-heavy recipes!

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2016, 03:24:36 PM »
FRIDAY NUMBER 2!!
Crunk
Crunk
Crunk
Crunk
Crunk it up

;D

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2016, 03:30:08 PM »

LOL for a second, I thought I was in the ranting thread and as I read this I was like "Good for you? Where's the rant?" :laugh: Clearly, my brain is also a used up ball of paste right now.

Also, I noticed that some users will post in here and the ranting thread back-to-back (myself included) which I think is hilarious. One minute it's OMFG I HATE MY LIFE and in the next YAY I'M SO HAPPY :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (Nomadicmadda just did this hahaha which is why I noticed :laugh: )

Edit: I use the smiley a lot, too, apparently. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

]

Haha yeah I know I do it all the time!  I feel like it's good for me to think of something positive after venting something negative, though.  There's a lot that I love about my job and life here, and before this thread only the negatives really had the opportunity to come out. :azn:

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »
I walked by a little ajumma yesterday in my stylish hater blockers 8) and as I walked by the ajumma she said "멋있어" to herself.  I know I am so cool and awesome but she verified it.   8) Yeah

I read this wrong and thought she wanted to eat you

Me too. But 맛 있어 has a very different meaning when said to a person of the opposite sex...

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »

I read this wrong and thought she wanted to eat you

A problem I had a while ago with my Vice Principal.  I had an open class and wore a smart suit for the day.  'You look delicious today' he said.  All day I thought he wanted to eat me.

Me too. But 맛 있어 has a very different meaning when said to a person of the opposite sex...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:10:30 PM by Dave Stepz »

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »
On Friday, I was in the bank, and saw a bunch of posters about the new Hana Points app.  I had a bunch of points accumulated during the past 16 months, and no easy way to use them

I asked the teller to help me set it up, but my phone was too full, so I told her I would ask again next time I was in.

Yesterday, I cleaned up my phone, and managed to set the app up myself, despite my extremely low level Korean skills. (I have mad Google Translate skills to make up for it.)

Today, I took the family to Outback Steakhouse, and was pleasantly surprised when, after paying, the app asked me if I wanted to offset the cost of the meal with points.  Over 100 000 won paid for in points, and I still have lots left.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2016, 08:12:20 AM »

]

Haha yeah I know I do it all the time!  I feel like it's good for me to think of something positive after venting something negative, though.  There's a lot that I love about my job and life here, and before this thread only the negatives really had the opportunity to come out. :azn:

Absolutely! It's all about balance. :azn:

Also, most of my classes have been cancelled today which means I can study for the GRE today while I'm at school!! ;D ;D ;D Woohooooo!!!

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »
The classes are really big in the school, so they're splitting 4th and 6th grade into 4 classes each instead of just 3. It will be nice to not have 30 students in those classes any more! They're also splitting 1st grade (which I don't teach) and they've told my 3rd and 4th grade co that she'll be new class's homeroom teacher which means I don't have to teach with her any more! She's a very nice person, but she's terrible to teach with. I hope 1st grade goes well for her, but I'm so relieved to not be teaching with her.