October 18, 2018, 07:13:37 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 371065 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1400 on: December 09, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »
Lucky! I teach classes all through the end of this month and then go straight into winter camp  :cry:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1401 on: December 09, 2016, 09:47:14 AM »
Yesterday my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. He came early but seems to be doing very well atm. But he is a tiny lil guy. Hoping and praying for the best.

Congrats Loki!!  Sure the Tiny Lil guy will get bigger soon!  :-*

Congrats! I'm sure he's super precious! Pro to baby being very small: your wife/MIL can easily knit adorable hats and jumpers for him in a day!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1402 on: December 09, 2016, 09:48:08 AM »
Lucky! I teach classes all through the end of this month and then go straight into winter camp  :cry:
I technically still have class, but the week before Christmas is study periods that I oversee and the week after Christmas are three half days for exams and then done.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1403 on: December 09, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
I technically still have class, but the week before Christmas is study periods that I oversee and the week after Christmas are three half days for exams and then done.

Exams the last week?? That's interesting, all my schools have 'em before Christmas.

Somehow the scheduling this month ended up so that the test days never work in my favor and I'm always at a school that isn't doing testing on my day. Alas

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1404 on: December 09, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »
During the holidays in Europe my credit card was copied. 

Same thing happened with my wife's card, only I got the text during the night and saw it when I work up.

"Honey, did you sneak out last night and have a $100 party at the McDonald's in Brampton, Ontario?"

Went to the branch first thing, and there was a second charge that they declined.

This happened last year also.  I was in Sweden and woke up in the morning with a message from the bank asking me to call them.  Some person had put through a transaction for 5000 won at some engineering company in Canada.  They were suspicious so stopped the card directly.  Then that person tried to put through a 1.2 million flight too.  Obviously declined. 

That's a lot of chicken burgers, seeing as they don't have any beef products.

That's what I thought.  Then after the Subway sandwich thing they tried to put through another 200 dollars at Pizza Hut, but that exceeded my limit.  That is one hungry dude.

위어드. I had never even heard of card-skimming devices until a couple of days ago when my dad had his card skimmed at a gas station and then a mysterious charge appeared on his card for $999.96 from a HyVee supermarket in Urbandale, Iowa. Not too far from Peoria, Illinois, as a matter of fact, but also not so far from where he lives in Wisconsin.  I'm not sure how much, if any, of that he's going to be able to recover. Congrats on your victory~!

Apparently, Hanacard requested a chargeback on VISA online.  She said it takes 50 days and if the foreign bank doesn't reply in that time, we can win the case.  Strange process.  I'd kind of written it off, so it is like getting 250 000 won.

I had heard that usually after they skim and copy, they wait a month or two before using.  Sneaky buggers.

I suppose the wait is so that you don't remember exactly what you did. 

They also look for foreign cards, because you are less likely to know exactly where you used the card. 

If it was skimmed here in Korea, my wife would know where because she only uses it at one gas station and 3 restaurants. On vacation, it could have been anywhere!

donovan

« Reply #1405 on: December 09, 2016, 01:36:43 PM »
Yesterday my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. He came early but seems to be doing very well atm. But he is a tiny lil guy. Hoping and praying for the best.

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear he's doing well despite the early arrival. ;D

My own is due July 4~ :azn:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:50:47 PM by donovan »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1406 on: December 09, 2016, 01:47:51 PM »

Same here. 5-6 weeks of winter camp. >.< Please shoot me now.

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1407 on: December 09, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »

Unrelated: Brand New is such a wonderful band and I'm grateful they exist.

I'm always so happy to see this, it warms the cockles of my heart.  Too bad they're breaking up.  I've been waiting for another Devil and God type record since it was released in 2006. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1408 on: December 09, 2016, 03:11:07 PM »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1409 on: December 12, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »
Most of the kids that have won the drawing to attend Winter Camp are ones I like, so that's great. There's one little 3rd grade girl who is coming and her English is better than most of my 6th graders, so I'm glad she'll be there to help out. I think this camp will be more fun and smoother than summer camp (since I sort of know what I'm doing now), and I'm kind of looking forward to it.  ;D

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #1410 on: December 12, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
I have to do 2 weeks of summer camp, one week the 5th and 6th, and one with 3rd and 4th. The max. number of students that can attend is 30. Naturally, 3rd/4th grade camp is booked, but only 12 students signed up for the 5th/6th grade portion, which is great! They're super hard to please, most of them are only there because their parents are making them, and maybe since there's only a handful of them, it won't be so stressful like summer camp was.

But it makes me wonder, was summer camp so awful? I had at least 20 sign up last semester...

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1411 on: December 13, 2016, 11:43:45 AM »
I have to do 2 weeks of summer camp, one week the 5th and 6th, and one with 3rd and 4th. The max. number of students that can attend is 30. Naturally, 3rd/4th grade camp is booked, but only 12 students signed up for the 5th/6th grade portion, which is great! They're super hard to please, most of them are only there because their parents are making them, and maybe since there's only a handful of them, it won't be so stressful like summer camp was.

But it makes me wonder, was summer camp so awful? I had at least 20 sign up last semester...
My ct told me that because of the (small amount of) snow students usually don't sign up for winter camp. Sometimes the camps get cancelled because of the weather so parent's are more likely to just let their kids stay home. Last year 3 days were cancelled at my school so some of my camps have like 3 kids signed up (from a class of 10 kids) but that's normal supposedly.

Offline sisususi

• Adventurer
« Reply #1412 on: December 14, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
My co-teacher told me yesterday that if enough 6th graders sign up for winter camp, that I could teach 5th and 6th and she would do 3rd and 4th. She also said not to get my hopes up though, because last year only one 6th grader signed up for winter camp.

This morning, six 6th graders came in to the office to sign up for winter camp! They told the 6th grade English teacher that they wanted to see me before they move to middle school.

In other words, I now have half the work for winter camp and I love my sweet 6th grade students!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1413 on: December 14, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »
I am soooo grateful that I work with coTs and KTs who don't try to hide things from me and who speak frankly about what's going on and with whom. This has made it so much easier to navigate around the office and school.

I'm going to hate having to give that perk up if I end up having to switch schools again.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1414 on: December 14, 2016, 03:28:58 PM »
One of my favorite songs decided to play on Pandora as the last one I'm listening to before I leave work <3

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1415 on: December 14, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
The winter camp budget seems to keep growing. When my coT gave me the initial figure, I was like all right, I'll make this work. I'm accustomed to spending just under the budget limit so as not to go over but she keeps telling me if I need more, to tell her and she'll get more.

So then the original budget became that, plus food budget separate. Then the budget seemed to grow again (she decided some of the art supplies could be mementos for the students (calligraphy marker pens)). Then I saw the separate food budget and she told me if it wasn't enough she would request more.

Dang. This is a far cry from "no budget" my first winter camp. Lol. I guess she was truly horrified I spent my own money on supplies and some snacks and is trying to prevent me from doing so again. We have a really small school so any bit of money can go a long way for so few kids.

Offline chrislis90

• Adventurer
« Reply #1416 on: December 15, 2016, 07:47:17 AM »
The winter camp budget seems to keep growing. When my coT gave me the initial figure, I was like all right, I'll make this work. I'm accustomed to spending just under the budget limit so as not to go over but she keeps telling me if I need more, to tell her and she'll get more.

So then the original budget became that, plus food budget separate. Then the budget seemed to grow again (she decided some of the art supplies could be mementos for the students (calligraphy marker pens)). Then I saw the separate food budget and she told me if it wasn't enough she would request more.

Dang. This is a far cry from "no budget" my first winter camp. Lol. I guess she was truly horrified I spent my own money on supplies and some snacks and is trying to prevent me from doing so again. We have a really small school so any bit of money can go a long way for so few kids.

Same as me, although my main school is quite big. After buying supplies and candy throughout my first term, they decided to take over for the second term and fork out for everything I need. My co-teacher is always asking me if I need new things in my home and what we need at school. With classes between 30-35 students she ordered 9 monopoly boards (which will likely be played just once a year), countless number of chess boards for the English booth at the school Festival and gave me a "buy whatever you want for camp" budget. I think they just have a massive surplus of money nearing the end of the year so are looking to clear it - which is brilliant for me and the students!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #1417 on: December 15, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
I am soooo grateful that I work with coTs and KTs who don't try to hide things from me and who speak frankly about what's going on and with whom. This has made it so much easier to navigate around the office and school.

I'm going to hate having to give that perk up if I end up having to switch schools again.

Yeah. My coteachers right now are primo, too.

Makes things so much easier.

I get to go home next Friday for two weeks for Christmas and New Year.  I asked today about winter classes, my co-teacher's idea was two hours a day from 9th to 17th.  I just have to come in the afternoon for them.  I get paid extra for them too.  'Cool?' 'Erm, yep, and cooking class for last two classes?' 'Cool!'  Job done.  In Korean, this is my 황금기 (golden time).  I won't be going to any other school when I finish here, would be a step down.   ;D

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1418 on: December 15, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »
My camp planning is/was very low-stress. Coteacher just wanted to do exactly the same thing we did for summer camp. I told her I couldn't do exactly the same, because I used some of the classes for end of semester time (summer camp was at a different school). She said that while she'd like it to be relevant to American culture, what she wants most is for the classes to practice speaking. In the end, we're doing a mix of the classes I didn't already do during the semester and speaking games, plus the movies we watched for summer camp with the worksheets I already made, and some reading period that she's in charge of.

I haven't had to make a single booklet, or in-depth plan, or anything.

If it wasn't for jerk boss who could fly off the handle unexpectedly, and I didn't have important reasons to go back home, this wouldn't be a bad gig to stay at for a while.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1419 on: December 15, 2016, 08:55:25 AM »
I am so glad I have no camp.

Today I have my little toasty seat warmer and I'm pretty sure my bf and I are going to the new One Piece cafe tonight. Though I am a little worried some of my students will be there.