November 18, 2018, 09:14:09 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 378442 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
I get it  :angel:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
Re: RAVING/HAPPY MEGATHREAD
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:08 PM »
I was just asked when I wanted to do summer camp in APRIL!AND I got to choose my vacation dates! And have been informed of all holidays and tests. This day is amazing.
How is there enough time in April for that?
Sorry yeah, I mean I was informed in April of my summer camp dates in the summer. whoops haha

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
No classes for the rest of the week!
:shocked: tests??

Nope, spring field trip.  Kids are all off to Jeju for the week :evil:

Is that legal? I hope they're flying.....

Why wouldn't it be legal?  And yeah, they're all flying from Gwangju.
After.......... the incident.

Pretty sure boats are still "legal" and much of the reactions to that event were a show of face.  Similar to hygienic practices before, during, and after MERS, things went right back to the way they were after the socially appropriate amount of time :rolleyes:

I figured it would take 10 years for it to become okay again. Colour me foolish.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »

Pretty sure boats are still "legal" and much of the reactions to that event were a show of face.  Similar to hygienic practices before, during, and after MERS, things went right back to the way they were after the socially appropriate amount of time :rolleyes:

I figured it would take 10 years for it to become okay again. Colour me foolish.
LOL someone just asked me if the ferry is booked way in advanced (wanting to go during May 5th weekend). I was like...that's like actually around the anniversary time...I don't think she will have to worry about it being booked up. 

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2016, 02:55:02 PM »
Today in class, I was asking my 5th graders to name off famous people so we could guess their favorite subject. One kids shouts, "Warren Buffet! His favorite subject is money!"

Right on, little dude.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2016, 03:12:21 PM »

Didn't mean to imply you were dumb for thinking that--I agree that would totally be the norm.  But, you know Korea and "safety" and "learning from mistakes".... :undecided:

ChrisKorea

« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2016, 07:53:13 AM »
Sixteen more days in this school, twenty more days in this country. GO FASTER TIME.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2016, 12:07:23 PM »
I've spent my entire morning sending out emails to the language and CELTA programs I'm interested in, as well as longer messages to the professors and doctors in the masters program I want to enroll in.  I don't think I've ever had a desk warming day this productive before, and I don't even feel tired :huh:

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2016, 12:56:58 PM »
1. A student asked if he could come to my summer camp today...felt nice that he wanted to come. He even asked if grade 3s were allowed to come!

2. Students that genuinely pay attention and are interested in learning, it's just a pleasure not having to micro manage students to tell them to take out their pencils or open their books to the correct page.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2016, 01:31:23 PM »
I've spent my entire morning sending out emails to the language and CELTA programs I'm interested in, as well as longer messages to the professors and doctors in the masters program I want to enroll in.  I don't think I've ever had a desk warming day this productive before, and I don't even feel tired :huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I've been the same way these past couple of days. I'm using my deskwarming time to research grad schools AND potential PhD programs after that (you can never be too prepared, right? RIGHT?!). It's actually really motivating me and making the days go by faster. Oh, and also studying for my GRE which is LESS THAN A MONTH AWAY OMG HYPERVENTILATING NOW.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
This morning I was told the dates of all 3 ( :huh:) of my camps, and the dates of my vacation!  They arranged it to include the August 15th holiday which is super nice!  ;D

She said it's not "official" yet, which I think just means it's basically official but a million more people need to sign it first.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I've been the same way these past couple of days. I'm using my deskwarming time to research grad schools AND potential PhD programs after that (you can never be too prepared, right? RIGHT?!). It's actually really motivating me and making the days go by faster. Oh, and also studying for my GRE which is LESS THAN A MONTH AWAY OMG HYPERVENTILATING NOW.

I just finished and now I'm suuuuuuuper tired haha.  Just have to wait for replies now.  All I want to do is go home and watch TV or a movie and shut my brain off for the day :undecided:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2016, 02:08:03 PM »

I just finished and now I'm suuuuuuuper tired haha.  Just have to wait for replies now.  All I want to do is go home and watch TV or a movie and shut my brain off for the day :undecided:

Finished your GRE or your applications? Either way, good luck! I still have a lot of studying to do, but my scores are improving each time I take a practice test, so that's encouraging.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
Today my 6th graders saw me write in Korean for the first time and they clapped and cheered. I was just copying it off of a piece of paper, but they were still so impressed. They're constantly making me laugh. :laugh:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »

Finished your GRE or your applications? Either way, good luck! I still have a lot of studying to do, but my scores are improving each time I take a practice test, so that's encouraging.

The school I want to attend isn't in the USA and the GRE/equivalent test isn't required.

And I finished scouring the professor list of the whole department and sending off emails to those who have focused their research in my areas of interest.  Next is contacting current students.

And I'm trying to coordinate doing a CELTA as well as a Sogang Korean course this fall/winter, and the dates are giving me a headache.  Ended up having to email both to get more info and see what my options are :lipsrsealed:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »

The school I want to attend isn't in the USA and the GRE/equivalent test isn't required.

And I finished scouring the professor list of the whole department and sending off emails to those who have focused their research in my areas of interest.  Next is contacting current students.

And I'm trying to coordinate doing a CELTA as well as a Sogang Korean course this fall/winter, and the dates are giving me a headache.  Ended up having to email both to get more info and see what my options are :lipsrsealed:

Ohhh okay. If you don't mind me asking, what program are you applying to?

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
What do you want from these people?
I'm genuinely curious because I'm never one to take initiative like that.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »
Ohhh okay. If you don't mind me asking, what program are you applying to?
MSc in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition

What do you want from these people?
I'm genuinely curious because I'm never one to take initiative like that.

:laugh: Haha but jokes aside....

My interests in the field are sort of all order the board, so I contacted six professors whose research was of interest to me in some way.  I sent them an email introducing myself and explaining why I was so interested in the program, and asked them questions specific to their research.

The main goal is to just reach out and establish a connection, which is incredibly important with a school this competitive.  I want to improve my chances of being accepted as much as possible, so, even though I'm not applying until the fall semester of 2018, I want to make sure they're familiar with my name and interests and know how hard I would work.

It's sort of the same reason why I started that thread a while back about "Why English Language Instruction is Failing in South Korea"--I just like discussing and exploring the topic in general, so even just emailing back and forth with these professors and hearing their point of view first-hand is fascinating to me.  I've already been emailed back by the director of admissions as well as one professor who gave me a list of academic journals and tips for the next year and a half, which I was really excited about. :shocked:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:12:51 AM by nomadicmadda »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
Played MJ's Heal The World for my 1st graders at the end of class, watched them earnestly sing along and had to keep myself from tearing up because we're all just, like, in this together, you know?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
One of my middle grade 2's used the word "elegance" today. I told him I was very impressed!

I adore my coT at this school. There are two grade 1 students who have trouble reading while the rest are fine. At first I thought she was going to ask me to slow down the lessons to their level (cause ain't that how it usually goes?) but she surprised me by saying she wanted to focus on tutoring the two of them while I teach the rest of the class, and she just wanted to check if that was okay with me. She legitimately cares about the students.

Whereas my elem. coT... well let's say, "Oh just ignore them" is her motto regarding struggling students (sorry, I realize this last bit belongs in the other thread but the comparison among coTs is sometimes astounding).