September 25, 2018, 01:35:32 PM

Author Topic: Koreans really need to take walking lessons.  (Read 41244 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Koreans really need to take walking lessons.
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2016, 11:57:16 AM »
does anyone know why there are signs that state 'no walking on the escalators'? am i missing something?

what's the difference between walking on an escalator or up some stairs?

Offline dizzl

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2016, 12:03:57 PM »
Same with trolleys/shopping carts. Drives me insane as they meander with the trolleys not watching where they are pushing or stop in the middle of the isle, or my favourite stop and look at a section with their cart sideways blocking the entire isle!

I watched a woman get run over in emart the other day as she was crouching down helping her child get milk, and the ajumma pushed her trolley while looking backwards and ran them over. She just stood and stared at the woman sprawled on the floor and then carried on shopping. I almost punched her.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2016, 12:04:13 PM »
does anyone know why there are signs that state 'no walking on the escalators'? am i missing something?

The escalator is moving and you could die.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »

The two subway operators are going to merge, so things might change, as they each have opposing policies, so it is a bit confusing.

That said, are you being sarcastic in asking what the difference is?

It is very different in terms of deadly accidents, etc., also there is an ever increasing amount of elderly in Korea, so it is more than likely an attempt to try and protect them.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 12:10:28 PM »

i think it's because the Seoul city govt or someone was claiming that everyone standing on one side so that people could walk on the other side was putting undue strain on the escalators, causing them to break down more frequently.

apparently if people stand on both sides it also allows more people to get on the escalator per minute: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/01/22/standing_on_escalators_faster_than_walking_according_to_transport_for_london.html
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:15:05 PM by johnny russian »

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 12:18:37 PM »

Given that we've established they have difficulty walking on level ground that isn't moving, it might be for the better that they don't attempt it on moving stairs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:11:53 PM by Mister Tim »

Offline BigEaredHylian

• Super Waygook
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »
What gets me is the lack of communicating with each other. When you need to get past someone open your mouth and say "Excuse me." You don't have to grunt and nudge with your elbows. I slightly understand that some won't say it to me as they may assume I won't understand the complex grammar and nuances of "잠시만요" but why do they seem to have such a hard time talking to each other?

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
Saying Koreans need walking lessons is a bit silly.

They do.

But they also need lessons in driving, flying, boating, training, basically anything that moves or requires a level of technical expertise Koreans can't do it properly.

So they really need just lessons in life.

Offline brenng87

• Adventurer
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2016, 01:01:18 PM »
  ;D Thank you for bring up this topic. It literally winds me up and frustrates me every single day. Koreans have a total lack of spacial awareness. This is intensely magnified by everyone's obsession with their smart phone. But still in the absence of the smartphone they still  don't have spacial awareness or consideration of the world going on around them.

And yes there are reasons why nobody is aloud to walk up/ down a moving escalator but those reasons are stupid. Korea has a way of treating everyone like they are in a hospital and in need of very gentle care.

They just flatly don't obey common world practices of foot traffic order. The results are endless amounts of irritating congestion. I have been to busy cities all over the world. Nobody, anywhere are so oblivious. In Japan specifically foot traffic is like a bloody miracle compared to Korea. It's ordered and highly functional. Everyone should take note and apply it to their daily routine.

There absolutely need to be traffic classes or just public awareness campaigns would probably suffice.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »
The two subway operators are going to merge, so things might change, as they each have opposing policies, so it is a bit confusing.

That said, are you being sarcastic in asking what the difference is?

It is very different in terms of deadly accidents, etc., also there is an ever increasing amount of elderly in Korea, so it is more than likely an attempt to try and protect them.
elderly can stand on the left, walkers on the right. deadly accidents caused by escalators? by walking on them?

i think it's because the Seoul city govt or someone was claiming that everyone standing on one side so that people could walk on the other side was putting undue strain on the escalators, causing them to break down more frequently.

apparently if people stand on both sides it also allows more people to get on the escalator per minute: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/01/22/standing_on_escalators_faster_than_walking_according_to_transport_for_london.html
i've never noticed broken escalators in london or anywhere else where people stand to one side. source?

also, even if that article is correct- surely the people standing don't give a shit and aren't in a hurry anyway, and the people that walk are trying to get somewhere.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2016, 01:13:54 PM »
I love the Koreans who when "busy" run towards the escalator but then walk slow-assed up it to make their subway train. Then when lots do it, the walking lane up becomes a slow-moving bottleneck.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2016, 02:53:21 PM »

There absolutely need to be traffic classes or just public awareness campaigns would probably suffice.

Doesn't matter, Koreans won't do something unless their mom or boss tell them to.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »
I love the Koreans who when "busy" run towards the escalator but then walk slow-assed up it to make their subway train. Then when lots do it, the walking lane up becomes a slow-moving bottleneck.

Or how Koreans will rush around recklessly all day long, driving 140kph through a school zone, shoving old people to be the first to get out of the subway, running into traffic, etc.

Then they see an escalator and suddenly they are the paragon of safety and patience.

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2016, 03:06:26 PM »

Or how Koreans will rush around recklessly all day long, driving 140kph through a school zone, shoving old people to be the first to get out of the subway, running into traffic, etc.

Then they see an escalator and suddenly they are the paragon of safety and patience.
I still find it disturbing how some people don't walk on the whatever-you-call-it flat escalator walk paths. You know... the ones that are there to help you get to your destination faster because the pathway is long... people somehow think that those things are there for you to just stand on and wait patiently for it to take you to the other side like some magical carpet ride...

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »
The Shibuya crossing should be replicated in Seoul.

I will swirl brandy and look down with amusement.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »

I still find it disturbing how some people don't walk on the whatever-you-call-it flat escalator walk paths. You know... the ones that are there to help you get to your destination faster because the pathway is long... people somehow think that those things are there for you to just stand on and wait patiently for it to take you to the other side like some magical carpet ride...

Right? I see it as "Sweet, I can get there even faster!" NOT "I can get there a little slower but I don't have to do anything."

BUT

Please understand I'm tired.............  :-[
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »

i've never noticed broken escalators in london or anywhere else where people stand to one side. source?

also, even if that article is correct- surely the people standing don't give a shit and aren't in a hurry anyway, and the people that walk are trying to get somewhere.

been digging around now for a source for the broken escalators thing, can't really find one, but sure i read it in a korean paper somewhere. i personally don't believe standing on one side causes escalators to break down more often, just what i read.

as for the people standing to the side thing, it's not really to do with the people standing not being in a hurry/caring. it's to do more with the fact that since only 25% of people walk, you have the remaining 75% trying to get on one side of the escalator. so if everyone stands - using both sides to stand on - more people per minute can board the escalator, which can reduce bottlenecks at the bottom.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »

Moving walkways.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2016, 03:43:24 PM »

been digging around now for a source for the broken escalators thing, can't really find one, but sure i read it in a korean paper somewhere. i personally don't believe standing on one side causes escalators to break down more often, just what i read.

as for the people standing to the side thing, it's not really to do with the people standing not being in a hurry/caring. it's to do more with the fact that since only 25% of people walk, you have the remaining 75% trying to get on one side of the escalator. so if everyone stands - using both sides to stand on - more people per minute can board the escalator, which can reduce bottlenecks at the bottom.

Escalators are slow here. If I want to be some place or if my subway is coming and the next one comes 10+mins later then I'll be walking fast up it. Hong Kong subway has wonderful fast moving escalators.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »

my point is that the people who don't walk don't give a shit if there's a bottleneck/congestion at the bottom because they aren't in any hurry anyway.

and it would probably be solved if people didn't stop dead at the bottom of escalators in the first place (does anyone else notice this?)

or, just speed up the ****** things. why do they go so slow in korea anyway?