February 16, 2019, 10:09:05 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: F2-99 visa -- what are the requirements these days?  (Read 13545 times)

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: F2-99 visa -- what are the requirements these days?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 10:35:10 PM »
Seems like they may have cut the points for the volunteering and other bits? Or am I reading that incorrectly? I just see stuff for age, education, Korean language and KIIP, taxes, etc.

Offline BikeGuyYangji

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Those are included still.  If you look at 가정하목 they have spots for volunteering and work experience in countries other than Korea, studying in Korea and the amount of tax you paid in Korea. 

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
Have any of these rules changed?

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »
Have any of these rules changed?

The salary requirement increases by about 100,000-200,000 won every year.  Yet, salaries are more or less stagnant. No idea what it is these days, but in 2015 it was 28million won. I suspect that it stands at around 32millon won now.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »

has anyone done it lately?

do you need to bring in your diplomas? or can they just check the ones on file at immigration?

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 08:34:45 AM »

i just applied for the f2-7 in case anyone has any questions. it needs to be processed for up to a month but hopefully there isn't any problems after this point.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 07:55:14 PM »
Does anyone know for sure whether things like multiple school allowance and housing are included in the calculations for the minimum salary requirement for the F2-99?

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 06:17:23 AM »
I read no for housing... but if you're getting the housing allowance (400,000) as payment rather than the school paying your rent it might. In fact I'd say probably yes. Call immigration to see (though you might get a different answer every time and it might be incorrect).

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »
I basically get 2.7x million (3m minus deductions) paid into my bank account in a lump sum. 2.5 base + 0.1 multiple school allowance + 0.4 housing = 3m. My salary should rise to the top level next year, which would give 3.2 minus deductions.

3.2 would be enough for the F2-99, but I fear that 2.8 might not be and 2.7 almost certainly wouldn't be if I were to apply for the visa in May 2020 (which is my plan).

I don't trust answers given by 1345, for the same reason you mentioned.

Offline TexasChicken

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
I got my F-2 99 in 2016. Go to your schools accounting department and ask for 원천징수영수증. This document will show your exact income. Im not sure what is the GNI this year my wife said something like 3360 man won. If your income for the previous year was higher than that number you should qualify. I would get it done as quick as possible though. The minimum wage had a huge increase this year and I expect the GNI will increase to follow that hike.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 12:01:01 PM »
Correct. StillInKorea, try to pick up some extra classes for overtime. Because by 2020, 3.2 may not be enough. If you can't make the income cutoff, there's the points system visa. Study your @$$ off to get really good at Korean. That's what I did. I studied Korean 4-5 hours a day for years. (Then barely passed the test. Anything above beginner level TOPIK is super hard.)

Offline TexasChicken

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Stillnkorea if youre making 3 million apply in March after payingn taxes and you should have the income requirement.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
Unfortunately, I came back to Korea on a new E-2 visa in March 2015, having taught in another country for a semester. I did 3.5 years on a previous E-2, but of course that doesn't count. My present job is April-April, so the earliest I could apply would be May 2020.

I asked my current school for extra classes because I'm bored of deskwarming and teaching the same crap over and over again, but my supervisor was quite rudely dismissive of the idea. I'm planning to transfer to a middle or high school in April, which might be more willing to provide extra classes.

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:15 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the current requirements for this visa?  I can't seem to find anything from an official source, only expat blogs and old forum posts.

Also...did I make this up in my mind or can you satisfy the income requirement by showing proof of your housing deposit/any other assets as long as they total X amount?

The biggest hurdle for me is the language component.

StillinKorea - are you studying at the moment to reach TOPIK 2?

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
I got my F-2 99 in 2016. Go to your schools accounting department and ask for 원천징수영수증. This document will show your exact income. Im not sure what is the GNI this year my wife said something like 3360 man won. If your income for the previous year was higher than that number you should qualify. I would get it done as quick as possible though. The minimum wage had a huge increase this year and I expect the GNI will increase to follow that hike.

I got the document you quoted from the administration office today. My pay for 2017 showed 2 months gross salary (not including housing allowance) from 2017/01/01-2017/2/28, nothing for the 2 months I was unemployed, and what appears to be net salary (inclusive of housing and travel allowance) from 2017/04/24 to 2017/12/31.

I'm still not clear on exactly how it's all calculated, or how consistent it even is.
Does anyone have a link to the current requirements for this visa?  I can't seem to find anything from an official source, only expat blogs and old forum posts.

Also...did I make this up in my mind or can you satisfy the income requirement by showing proof of your housing deposit/any other assets as long as they total X amount?

The biggest hurdle for me is the language component.

StillinKorea - are you studying at the moment to reach TOPIK 2?

I read a bunch of stuff and the consensus seems to be:

* No criminal record in Korea.
* Higher income than the average Korean (not sure how it's calculated).
* 30m KRW in the bank or Korean property.
* TOPIK Level 2.

I'll start formally studying for TOPIK 2 later. I don't think it's difficult to pass that level.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »

Have you had to renew it yet? I got mine last year. When you go in to renew, do they check that you still qualify for everything, or do they just stamp stamp and give you a fresh one?

Offline TexasChicken

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »
My renewal is at the end of November. I'll let you know afterwards how it goes.

TexasChicken

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »
TexasChicken, what documents did you provide to prove your salary and savings?

The document provided by our school's admin office seemed to show my net salary, which would be slightly below the GNI per capita at present. However, as the GNI is of course gross and not net, I'd assume only my gross salary would need to be above the GNI per capita?

Also, I found an article claiming that you need to prove savings of 30k KRW for at least a year. Was that true for you? My plan would be to have my Dad (retired businessman) transfer the money just for the immigration check, as I don't have 30k just sitting in the bank, and only 5k down on the apartment I rent.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:22:40 PM by StillInKorea »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 03:05:14 PM »
TexasChicken, what documents did you provide to prove your salary and savings?

The document provided by our school's admin office seemed to show my net salary, which would be slightly below the GNI per capita at present. However, as the GNI is of course gross and not net, I'd assume only my gross salary would need to be above the GNI per capita?

Also, I found an article claiming that you need to prove savings of 30k KRW for at least a year. Was that true for you? My plan would be to have my Dad (retired businessman) transfer the money just for the immigration check, as I don't have 30k just sitting in the bank, and only 5k down on the apartment I rent.

You have to go to the bank to get the documents proving you total monetary worth in Korea. I'm not sure what you'd do if you had to show your housing deposit value - I didn't need to because I had enough in my accounts.

As for having to have maintained a net cash worth over their limit for over a year, that is accurate. The documents I got from the bank showed that I had had that money in there for a long time, and it wasn't just a quick infusion to get over the limit.

So, I guess you'd better get your dad to transfer the money a year early. You may get taxed on that - I'm not fully clear on the rules for foreign deposit gifts. Or just start saving.

Offline TexasChicken

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »
I got the 원천징수영수증 document from my schools accounting department. The gross income is the only number that matters to prove your income I believe. So if your gross income is above the GNI you check off that box.

I believe to prove the asset amount you just have to have had the money in a bank account for 24 hours, but I'm not 100% sure on that. There's some official document you can ask from your bank to prove you have that money and it places a freeze in your account for 24 hours after receiving the document. Sorry I can't remember the name.

When I applied I simply showed a copy of my jeonsae contract. I don't think you need to have had the money in an account for a year but I could be wrong, I'll ask my wife for the bank documents name when I get home tonight and Post tomorrow.

TexasChicken

I'm planning on applying for the F5 permanent resident visa in March once 2018's taxes have been paid. I'll let you guys know the process involved to switch from F2-99 resident visa to permanent residence as I find out more stuff myself.