February 16, 2019, 03:51:25 PM

Author Topic: F2-99 visa -- what are the requirements these days?  (Read 13548 times)

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
F2-99 visa -- what are the requirements these days?
« on: February 24, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »
I'm not even sure if the F2-99 visa is available anymore. As always, searching the internet in English just gets you really, really old results and a lot of half-baked nonsense. A five-year-old thread on Dave's was all I could find with any substance, and you know what that's worth.

ANYWAY... Anyone know what the requirements are for the F2-99 visa these days?

I know the least is five years non-stop on the same visa (if you're E2). But are there income or language requirements now?

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
Re: F2-99 visa -- what are the requirements these days?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »
Yes and Yes.

I tried to apply last year and failed because I did not meet the income requirement for 2015/2016.

You need to have 30 million won saved in the bank and have a taxable salary of *over* 30 million won (ie, housing not included) for the current tax year. This will increase again at the start of the new tax year (it was only 26 million in 2012/13, which was the latest available information I could find on it online at the time of my application, to give you an indication of the yearly rise)

You also need TOPIK level 2, which is the easy part of this ridiculous process.

Essentially, unless you are working multiple schools in the boondocks, or one of the very few teachers left on EPIK salary grade 1 or 1+ (or GEPIK level S lol), or working a uni job then you are **** out of luck.

The Immigration hotline number is also useless for this because they're not familiar with the visa and have out of date information themselves. Go figure.  :rolleyes:

To borrow a colourful metaphor, it's just chasing the dragon from an E-2 point of view. No matter how hard you try, you can never quite catch it and within a few years it will be out of the reach of E-2 teachers for good because our average salaries are falling behind Koreans at a rapid pace.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:50:31 PM by Epistemology »
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:57:24 AM »
I called 1345 this morning. They said applicants need:

Five or more years on the same E2 visa, unbroken (different employers are okay as long as you never had to change your visa or do a visa run, etc.)

At least 30 million won in savings

Must make 29 million won and change annually (but this will increase in March 2016)

A language skill equal to TOPIK level 2 or higher

And a lot of paperwork like proof of housing, the application fee (130,000 won), and so on

So basically, as Epistemology said, they want a severely small number of people who make an almost impossible amount of money.

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »
Has anyone heard if the minimum income has been changed? It was supposed to be adjusted this month; maybe I'm asking too early. Just wondering 'cause it's the only thing in my way right now.

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Having 30 grand in the bank and being here on an e2 visa is risky enough. The bank could default, the won could depreciate fast do to our neighbors, your home country could audit you, etc. 

The F2-99 visa is ridiculously hard to obtain. I'm married and the f6 visa is looking like a good choice to start life past my e2. However the f2-99 seems like a outdated visa.

If you get denied for F2-99 visa and can't find an E2 job how could you safely transfer large amounts on Money from Korea fast without raising multiple eyebrows?

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
Having 30 grand in the bank and being here on an e2 visa is risky enough. The bank could default, the won could depreciate fast do to our neighbors, your home country could audit you, etc. 

The F2-99 visa is ridiculously hard to obtain. I'm married and the f6 visa is looking like a good choice to start life past my e2. However the f2-99 seems like a outdated visa.

If you get denied for F2-99 visa and can't find an E2 job how could you safely transfer large amounts on Money from Korea fast without raising multiple eyebrows?

it's not easy anymore, but still seems way easier to me than the points-based visa. For that you need like a TOPIK level 4 or 5, plus a masters degree minimum, plus minimum income requirement, plus some points from volunteering, etc.

for all their talk of wanting to encourage immigration and of making korea a multicultural country, they really don't seem to want people to actually get F-visas.

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »

it's not easy anymore, but still seems way easier to me than the points-based visa. For that you need like a TOPIK level 4 or 5, plus a masters degree minimum, plus minimum income requirement, plus some points from volunteering, etc.

for all their talk of wanting to encourage immigration and of making korea a multicultural country, they really don't seem to want people to actually get F-visas.

I agree that the F-2-7 (the points one) is the easiest way to go.  I just got mine.  It's not as hard as he makes it seem though.  I only have a BA, no volunteer experience, and make the bare minimum income.  Most of your points come from your age (it's better if you're over 25 and under 35) and your experience with the KIIP.  If you finish the KIIP, that's 28 of the 80 points you need. 

Also, as far as I remember you need a Korean person to "vouch" for you for the F-2-99 (aka a sponsor).  I think I could be misremembering though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:30:17 PM by rhchris1 »

Offline Teachersa

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »

I agree that the F-2-7 (the points one) is the easiest way to go.  I just got mine.  It's not as hard as he makes it seem though.  I only have a BA, no volunteer experience, and make the bare minimum income.  Most of your points come from your age (it's better if you're over 25 and under 35) and your experience with the KIIP.  If you finish the KIIP, that's 28 of the 80 points you need. 

Also, as far as I remember you need a Korean person to "vouch" for you for the F-2-99 (aka a sponsor).  I think I could be misremembering though.

Did you complete the KIIP?
Even if I complete the KIIP I'm nowhere near 80 points and I have a masters and am under 35.

You don't need a Korean to vouch for you anymore. But, getting the F2-99 depends on the immigration official. I went to the immi office to ask about the requirements and was told I need to live in Korea for 8 years before I can apply for the visa and its simpler to go through the points process.

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »

Did you complete the KIIP?
Even if I complete the KIIP I'm nowhere near 80 points and I have a masters and am under 35.

You don't need a Korean to vouch for you anymore. But, getting the F2-99 depends on the immigration official. I went to the immi office to ask about the requirements and was told I need to live in Korea for 8 years before I can apply for the visa and its simpler to go through the points process.

I did complete the KIIP.  I got 10 for completing it, plus completing it is equivalent to TOPIK 5, so that's 18.  I'm 25, so I got 23 points for that.  I have one BA which is 26.  My income gave me 2 points, and I took a level 1 class at Yonsei several years ago, giving me 1 point.  Add it all up and I was at exactly 80.  I'll attach the point breakdown from immigration to this.

Offline Teachersa

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
Ah, then I was misinformed.

I've heard you get KIIP completion points OR Korean level points, not both.

Looks like I've got to complete this program then.

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 05:36:40 PM »
People are wondering off topic. I was asking about the F2-99, and that is all. If you know, reply. If not, what's the point?

Offline Teachersa

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
People are wondering off topic. I was asking about the F2-99, and that is all. If you know, reply. If not, what's the point?

I'll repeat what I said.
Went to my immigration office and the guy behind the desk said I could only apply after 8 years. He didn't tell me about any other requirements (I asked him) and he told me I should apply for the points visa instead.

Apologies for wandering off topic but when you get to immigration they might change the story on you, too.

Right after I spoke to the guy at the desk I called immigration and they told me the same thing you've been told. 5 years on one visa. 30 million in the bank. 30 million taxable income and TOPIK 2.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:14:22 PM by Teachersa »

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
Yeah, the variability of the requirements is crazy. I get different information each time I call 1345. Which, if anything, reminds me of how you can basically go pencil-pusher shopping and ask several different immigration bureaucrats to consider your paperwork until one of them says okay. So strange.

Anyway, I'm just three million short of the annual income requirement for last year. This year I am well over the top. I asked if this means I have to wait a year to try again, and got a myriad of ifs and ums. Grrr.

Offline Teachersa

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »
Yeah, the variability of the requirements is crazy. I get different information each time I call 1345. Which, if anything, reminds me of how you can basically go pencil-pusher shopping and ask several different immigration bureaucrats to consider your paperwork until one of them says okay. So strange.

Anyway, I'm just three million short of the annual income requirement for last year. This year I am well over the top. I asked if this means I have to wait a year to try again, and got a myriad of ifs and ums. Grrr.

Just go. The F2-99 guidelines are just that "guidelines". Go with your existing paperwork and hope for the best. If you're refused you can just try again next month... or year.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 10:14:40 PM »

the other visa - F-2-7 - is a viable alternative to the F2-99. that's the point. there's good information in here for anyone who comes across this thread in the future.

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
The new annual income requirement for 2016 is 32 million.

Applicants for the F2-99 visa should have made about 2.66 million a month last year.

So... Yeah. This tells you how Korea really feels about people who put in a lot of time and energy contributing to their country and economy. So why bother? Go teach in Taiwan.

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 12:30:45 PM »
The new annual income requirement for 2016 is 32 million.

Applicants for the F2-99 visa should have made about 2.66 million a month last year.

So... Yeah. This tells you how Korea really feels about people who put in a lot of time and energy contributing to their country and economy. So why bother? Go teach in Taiwan.

Now its just reached the point of ridiculousness. 2.5 was pushing it. With salaries actually decreasing for the vast majority of the people eligible for the F2-99, its a bit of a kick in the balls to push it up even further.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »
might seem a bit high, but the 1+ pay scale in some of the provinces is 2.7 million. if someone's been here 4-5 years they should be on that.

if you live in a city or province where the pay scale is lower, you can take the 400k housing allowance instead of the provided housing. since the housing allowance is considered part of your salary, it will push you up by an extra 400k.

the salary requirement is based on GNI per capita i think.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:49:30 PM by johnny russian »

Offline Teachersa

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
I don't think that's too bad. I reach the requirement but I need to get my TOPIK 2 STAT. As I don't have a lot of overtime this semester and will just miss the 32 million KRW requirement next year.

I'm going to take those KIIP classes, too. I've read I have the option of transferring the F2-7 to my spouse and that would be better than just one of us having an F2.

Offline BikeGuyYangji

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »
This Naver Blog has the lastest points scheme on it.  I just got mine last week and they pulled out this exact table to calculate the points. 

http://blog.naver.com/seohaeng1012/220526855861

Hope this is helpful.