February 16, 2019, 08:51:39 AM

Author Topic: THE NETFLIX KOREA THREAD  (Read 35699 times)

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
Re: Netflix Under Fire from Korean Media
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 09:27:19 AM »

With things like Kodi/XBMC out there, I might just cancel my Netflix subscription if they decide to block VPNs. Even if there's an easy way around the block, I'd consider cancelling just on principle and sticking with Kodi. If companies are so determined to prevent me from paying for their content, I'm more than happy to use alternative methods to watch it for free. It's their loss, not mine.

Kodi/XMBC is a godsend. Absolutely love it and personally, I have no use for Netflix or any other streaming sites since I've started using it. People who don't it, I would highly recommend checking it out...100% free

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »

Um, your misogyny is really inappropriate and offensive. You have absolutely no right to refer to women in that way.

You're right, I'm sorry..

I meant, those super classy women, who get their way to the top by means of talent and pure will to persevere through a tough competitive environment. They really are role models for today's youth, and I'm so proud of them. I also really appreciate how they teach young children how they should be viewed, and what is valuable to their male counter parts.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline ithinkinailedit

• Super Waygook
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
Well, the last movie I watched on Netflix was a Korean film called Moebius or something (definitely butchered that). It was about a mom who attempted to cut off her cheating husband's penis, but then decided to do it to the son. Before it could be saved she put said penis in her mouth and chewed it up. So the son has no dick and the supportive father is trying to research ways to help. Eventually more penises end up getting removed and it's just a whole lot of f*cked up from there.

Does this qualify as "X-rated"?

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
Well, the last movie I watched on Netflix was a Korean film called Moebius or something (definitely butchered that). It was about a mom who attempted to cut off her cheating husband's penis, but then decided to do it to the son. Before it could be saved she put said penis in her mouth and chewed it up. So the son has no dick and the supportive father is trying to research ways to help. Eventually more penises end up getting removed and it's just a whole lot of f*cked up from there.

dont think there is enough weed is the world to make that watchable.
Open your mind.

Offline coffeesmith

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 10:52:28 AM »

I don't know if it's x-rated, but it did make me curious about using rocks.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »

Um, your misogyny is really inappropriate and offensive. You have absolutely no right to refer to women in that way.

I meant, those super classy women, who get their way to the top by means of talent and pure will to persevere through a tough competitive environment. They really are role models for today's youth, and I'm so proud of them. I also really appreciate how they teach young children how they should be viewed, and what is valuable to their male counter parts.

Yeah, because I'm sure all of those women chose that as their career path in elementary school and are thrilled to be doing that kind of work...

What a condescending and insensitive comment.  No one is saying you have to approve of that lifestyle, but there's no need to go around degrading people who are (or maybe have no choice in) living it either.  You certainly have a "right" to refer to women as "f*cking sluts", but you only make yourself look like a completely pig-headed tw*t by saying it. :undecided:

(Not to mention there are plenty of men in that industry as well...) :rolleyes:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »

Yeah, because I'm sure all of those women chose that as their career path in elementary school and are thrilled to be doing that kind of work...

What a condescending and insensitive comment.  No one is saying you have to approve of that lifestyle, but there's no need to go around degrading people who are (or maybe have no choice in) living it either.  You certainly have a "right" to refer to women as "f*cking sluts", but you only make yourself look like a completely pig-headed tw*t by saying it. :undecided:

Oh, they're sluts too.  ;D
The joys of fauxtherhood

YoungMin

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »
If netflix are forced to use the same verification system that YouTube currently uses I will personally assassinate Park Geun Hye or whomever is responsible for enforcing it.

Offline seoil

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »
Yes, little Bum Su can use a smartphone and easily gain access to shadow banking accounts, if the password is automatically realized, and register for games and websites and the like.  Many a Korean child has run up phone bills due to this.

Downloading in S. Korea is superfast using torrent clients.  I've not used Netflix once since I've been in Asia.  Torrents are your friends.  Even Netflix or Amazon programming can be found via torrent, plus all the adult programming you want. 

These people like Google and Netflix want to keep restricting our use of the Internet.  It's getting out of control.  Your local service providers in the US monitor each IP for illegal downloading and will cut you off.

Many expats use torrents and Google freely in China behind a VPN.

Please don't preach to much about Torrents in open online montiored boards like this one. I myself have used such services for years and was surprised when the "pirate" was shut down for about a month last year. LONG LIVE THE PIRATES ;D

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 11:18:25 AM »

From Oxford's English Dictionary:
Slut - a woman who has many sexual partners

It's a derogatory term specific to women, and is rather specific in saying it means she sleeps around with multiple men.  Just because a girl is working in a strip club doesn't mean she's sleeping with multiple men there.  Correlation is not causation. :rolleyes:

Why don't we just not use degrading and derogatory terms for people we don't even know who live lives we don't understand or (I'm guessing) have experience with? :undecided:

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »
If netflix are forced to use the same verification system that YouTube currently uses I will personally assassinate Park Geun Hye or whomever is responsible for enforcing it.

Good plan. But since Netflix in Korea is so basic and crap, we will long be using a proxy anyway and bypassing such a stupid system.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »

From Oxford's English Dictionary:
Slut - a woman who has many sexual partners

It's a derogatory term specific to women, and is rather specific in saying it means she sleeps around with multiple men.  Just because a girl is working in a strip club doesn't mean she's sleeping with multiple men there.  Correlation is not causation. :rolleyes:

Why don't we just not use degrading and derogatory terms for people we don't even know who live lives we don't understand or (I'm guessing) have experience with? :undecided:

Hmmmmmm, sexy dancers? hahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

YoungMin

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 11:42:30 AM »
Are folk that use a vpn for netflix getting HD streams or potato streams?

Offline afheil89

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »
yeah I'm still going to watch the American netflix through my brother's account back home....I use the hola unblocker to watch it and it works great. Don't know what "x-rated content" netflix has either.
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 11:58:18 AM »
A brief summary of why I'll stick to torrents:

- With Netflix, at least a US or European account, one is spoilt with an overwhelming amount of
  choices, which can encourage the couch-potato lifestyle.

- Watching television, for entertainment, is often a waste of time. I'd rather research and download
  something, when I feel a need, instead of vegetating and watching crap, because I've
  been rendered too lazy to do anything else (look at what excessive TV and games are doing to
  your students).

- VPNs, even the ones you pay for, are shite.

- I don't believe a customer or client should have to jump through hoops to pay for a product or
  service.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »
Korean hypocrisy at its best.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
A brief summary of why I'll stick to torrents:

- With Netflix, at least a US or European account, one is spoilt with an overwhelming amount of
  choices, which can encourage the couch-potato lifestyle.

- Watching television, for entertainment, is often a waste of time. I'd rather research and download
  something, when I feel a need, instead of vegetating and watching crap, because I've
  been rendered too lazy to do anything else (look at what excessive TV and games are doing to
  your students).

- VPNs, even the ones you pay for, are shite.

- I don't believe a customer or client should have to jump through hoops to pay for a product or
  service.

That's all well and good, but for people like me, TV isn't the primary focus of the evening. I tend to just have it on in the background while I do other things, so I'm fine with just being able to log into a streaming service and pick whatever looks mildly interesting rather than searching for the absolute perfect thing to watch, DLing it, and setting aside everything else I planned that evening in order to watch it.

Different strokes, I suppose.

Offline Brennand

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 12:10:05 PM »
Netflix is planning to crack down on many users accessing the USA Netflix using VPNs.

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/netflixs-vpn-ban-isnt-good-for-anyone-especially-netflix/

That rumor's been floating around for years, including recently when Netflix went international. I hope it doesn't happen, but frankly, I'll believe it when I see it. If it does happen, then VPNs will just find new ways to get around it. The only way to block VPNs in the first place (as far as I know) is to block common VPN ISP addresses, so getting around a VPN block could just be as simple as using a different server, and some VPNs have hundreds of servers to choose from.

With things like Kodi/XBMC out there, I might just cancel my Netflix subscription if they decide to block VPNs. Even if there's an easy way around the block, I'd consider cancelling just on principle and sticking with Kodi. If companies are so determined to prevent me from paying for their content, I'm more than happy to use alternative methods to watch it for free. It's their loss, not mine.

I don't know what VPNs you guys are using but I haven't been able to access American Netflix through my VPN for almost a couple weeks now.  No matter which server/location I choose it seems to know that I am using a VPN and tells me to shut it down to continue.  After reading some articles about it, it appears that Netflix is using some secret way to detect VPNs but I'm sure people will figure out a way around it if they haven't already. 

Offline pjst

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 12:27:42 PM »
Netflix is planning to crack down on many users accessing the USA Netflix using VPNs.

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/netflixs-vpn-ban-isnt-good-for-anyone-especially-netflix/

That rumor's been floating around for years, including recently when Netflix went international. I hope it doesn't happen, but frankly, I'll believe it when I see it. If it does happen, then VPNs will just find new ways to get around it. The only way to block VPNs in the first place (as far as I know) is to block common VPN ISP addresses, so getting around a VPN block could just be as simple as using a different server, and some VPNs have hundreds of servers to choose from.

I don't know what VPNs you guys are using but I haven't been able to access American Netflix through my VPN for almost a couple weeks now.  No matter which server/location I choose it seems to know that I am using a VPN and tells me to shut it down to continue.  After reading some articles about it, it appears that Netflix is using some secret way to detect VPNs but I'm sure people will figure out a way around it if they haven't already.

Yeah - same thing has happened to me. The only solution I've seen discussed is to pay for your own, dedicated USA IP address, as Neflix is blacklisting known VPN IP addresses.

I've been using my family's netflix subscription so rather than pay for a dedicated IP address (costs as much as a 6-month VPN subscription), I'm just going to check out Kodi or Smartflix.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »

Yeah - same thing has happened to me. The only solution I've seen discussed is to pay for your own, dedicated USA IP address, as Neflix is blacklisting known VPN IP addresses.

I've been using my family's netflix subscription so rather than pay for a dedicated IP address (costs as much as a 6-month VPN subscription), I'm just going to check out Kodi or Smartflix.
getflix works well for me since the ban