February 16, 2019, 08:48:34 AM

Author Topic: THE NETFLIX KOREA THREAD  (Read 35697 times)

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
Re: Netflix Under Fire from Korean Media
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »
I get the same error message, "The date of birth you entered doesn't match the account on file. Be sure to enter all 4 digits for the year." I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Netflix since you aren't required to input a date of birth when you sign up. This has to do with your phone company not having your DOB registered correctly or something of that sort.

This is just more of the usual BS from Korea's backwards security bloatware technology that is more of a hassle than it's worth (especially for expats). Bye Netflix, you were fun for a week I guess.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
I get the same error message, "The date of birth you entered doesn't match the account on file. Be sure to enter all 4 digits for the year." I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Netflix since you aren't required to input a date of birth when you sign up. This has to do with your phone company not having your DOB registered correctly or something of that sort.

This is just more of the usual BS from Korea's backwards security bloatware technology that is more of a hassle than it's worth (especially for expats). Bye Netflix, you were fun for a week I guess.

When crap like this happens, COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN.

I have no high hopes that this will change overnight, but Netflix is a massive company and if they start to get frustrated with the Korean way, maybe they can have one iota of incremental change in this abhorrent system.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »

I have no high hopes that this will change overnight, but Netflix is a massive company and if they start to get frustrated with the Korean way, maybe they can have one iota of incremental change in this abhorrent system.

Or they could just pull out like so many other international corporations have done in the past.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »

Or they could just pull out like so many other international corporations have done in the past.

The pull-out method has been shown to not be very effective.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »

The pull-out method has been shown to not be very effective.

It does tend to make a mess of things.

NetflixKorea and their stupid censorship can kiss my ass. Weigh anchor at the Pirate Bay fellow sailors.

YoungMin

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
I contacted Netflix live chat. It's a technical problem with phone companies that they are trying to fix.

I also asked about Better Call Saul Season 2 and they said that some shows are down while the KCSC give the show/episodes a rating. Should be back up when they rate it but no time frame was given.

I'm just gonna download it from piratebay cos I can't be arsed to wait or do things properly cos what's the point?

Offline tunacookie

• Veteran
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »
I contacted Netflix live chat. It's a technical problem with phone companies that they are trying to fix.

I also asked about Better Call Saul Season 2 and they said that some shows are down while the KCSC give the show/episodes a rating. Should be back up when they rate it but no time frame was given.

I'm just gonna download it from piratebay cos I can't be arsed to wait or do things properly cos what's the point?

I also just contacted Netflix about the sudden removal of content. Told them it was annoying to have the content removed without warning. This was the reply:

Oh totally understand you, my friend. Indeed I was checking this matters as soon as I got your message to check what's going on there, and you have nothing to worry about. This content will be totally added back, what we're doing is just adjusting some information to mach the local rating, but once those movements are done, the series will be back in track for you to enjoy.

Gotta give them points for peppiness at least!

YoungMin

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »

I also just contacted Netflix about the sudden removal of content. Told them it was annoying to have the content removed without warning. This was the reply:

Oh totally understand you, my friend. Indeed I was checking this matters as soon as I got your message to check what's going on there, and you have nothing to worry about. This content will be totally added back, what we're doing is just adjusting some information to mach the local rating, but once those movements are done, the series will be back in track for you to enjoy.

Yeah I don't have a problem with Netflix, the person I spoke to was great. Just your typical Korean bureaucracy causing all the problems. 

Offline tunacookie

• Veteran
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2016, 01:02:30 PM »

Yeah I don't have a problem with Netflix, the person I spoke to was great. Just your typical Korean bureaucracy causing all the problems. 

Absolutely agreed. I also contacted the live help when I was trying to figure out the age verification and I have to say their customer service is great. As you say it's the Korean bureaucracy that's throwing the spanner in the works.

Offline Zaiterade

• Super Waygook
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2016, 02:35:11 PM »
Thank goodness better Call Saul season 2 is coming back, because I just noticed that it was gone and nearly had a heart attack...

Offline bgale2009

• Waygookin
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2016, 11:11:41 PM »
I was so worried that all the shows I was binging weren't going to be available anymore! Nice to hear some good news.

I didn't read all 6 pages, but I think Netflix already  implemented their age verification system the other day. When I tried to watch Daredevil, it asked my age and I had to do all that phone jazz (So happy I figured that out a few weeks ago... solely so I could *not* gamble playing Seotda on my phone :P ).

As for credit card issues, I didn't see it mentioned, but does anyone else notice how many kids have their parents cc's?
I have a few korean friends, some are younger, and when we've gone out places the younger ones especially seem to use their parents cards often (youngest is 17 because she is the sister of a friend who is 20 (western age. I was introduced to them as 19 and 22. I'm not *much* older but promise I'm no creeper  :huh:) ).
found this out a few times when we would get food and they were super insistent on paying because "It's cool. dad's card lol."

So I could see why that would be a cultural problem netflix might have not considered... I mean how many other countries is it common to let your kid run around with your cc? Maybe times is changed but when I was young, I only ever saw that happen in early 90's "shopping spree" scenes on tv... something that totally died out as soon as the economic recession became a thing... The more I think about it the more I realize that S.Korea is like the US early 90's except in the future  :shocked:

/ramble but it's so interesting.

Offline sleepyinseoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »
I too was having major issues with getting the bul*$h*t age verification system to work.  My only tips are like a few have said before:
1.  name all caps no spaces (exactly how it's written on your bill not how you think it should be spelled.
2.  do it from a desktop computer (for me that was the biggest issue).

or

Get a korean friend/GF/wife to use their name.  Only one person on the account has to do it after that anyone without age restriction in their personal settings can watch anything they want.....good luck everyone.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »
Only one person on the account has to do it after that anyone without age restriction in their personal settings can watch anything they want.....good luck everyone.

So junior just had to answer "who is watching?" with
"mom" to watch anything he wants?

Very effective system they got there.

PS: Neflix Canada suscriber here... several paid VPN options in my playbook, so never shut out for long.

Offline gnomon

• Veteran
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2016, 07:38:42 AM »
Have all of you who have gotten the age verification thing used a Korean credit card to sign up? I wonder whether anyone using Netflix in Korea but using a foreign credit card has had to do age verification.

Also, I noticed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 2 is not available. It says "Coming Soon." I swear it was up Friday when it premiered elsewhere.

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2016, 07:43:54 AM »
Have all of you who have gotten the age verification thing used a Korean credit card to sign up? I wonder whether anyone using Netflix in Korea but using a foreign credit card has had to do age verification.

Also, I noticed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 2 is not available. It says "Coming Soon." I swear it was up Friday when it premiered elsewhere.

It said season 2 on April 15 but Friday evening rolled around, it changed to Coming Soon. I'm going to guess it has to do with the parental ratings. Once the rating is approved, it'll be up. Sucks we have to wait though.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2016, 11:46:51 AM »

I'm paying with my US debit card. Yesterday I tried watching some Korean Netflix stuff with high age ratings (17 or 18) and no message about age verification.

Yiu guys can complain all you want but it is Korean law and Netflix won't challenge it because they want to get into Korea's protectionist market. 99% of their customers here are Koreans who put up with their country's silly laws.

Age verification in theory is an ok idea but as usual here it's just an illogical and useless giveaway to some corrupt "internet safety" company that is using personal info for data mining and spyware/spamware purposes.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline mwilson92

• Waygookin
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »
oh thank goodness Korea will eventually get Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 2. it's been hard going on facebook and avoiding all the spoilers about the season. but i'm not sure if i'm patient enough to wait for Korea to give it a rating. this will be happening to all the shows right? Including OITNB? because that's just great......

also does the age verification only apply to those who made an account in Korea? i'm assuming yes because i haven't come across it but i rather be safe than sorry (i'm not paying for netflix, my mother is haha)
Nothing is original.
Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.

Offline courtneym

• Adventurer
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »
I share a Netflix Canada account with my brother that's billed using a Canadian credit card. So far, I haven't been asked for any form of age verification while watching content here in Korea without a VPN.

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »
oh thank goodness Korea will eventually get Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 2. it's been hard going on facebook and avoiding all the spoilers about the season. but i'm not sure if i'm patient enough to wait for Korea to give it a rating. this will be happening to all the shows right? Including OITNB? because that's just great......

also does the age verification only apply to those who made an account in Korea? i'm assuming yes because i haven't come across it but i rather be safe than sorry (i'm not paying for netflix, my mother is haha)

My family shares my sister's Netflix. Everyone is in the States except me. Neither them nor I have had any issues and the age verification has never come up for me yet.

YoungMin

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2016, 10:22:57 AM »
Public service announcement:

Better Call Saul season 2 is back! (watched the last 3 episodes on the pirate bay out of spite/frustration anyway)

For those that can't pass the date of birth bull shit. (not sure if they've fixed that/customer support told me it was impossible for foreigners)...Just ask any Korean,wife, gf, old lady off the street, your CT, whatever floats your boat.

Finally, you must use a Korea card now.  :rolleyes: