October 18, 2018, 06:05:43 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Do I need a visa for a stopover in the USA?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
Do I need a visa for a stopover in the USA?
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »
I just want to be sure about this.

I'm Canadian, heading home for the holidays, and then coming back to Korea at the end of the month.

I have a 3-4 hour stopover in Dallas, Texas both when going to Canada, and when coming back to Korea.

At any point during this trip will I need a US (transit) visa, because I will be in Texas during the stopover?

Offline Korea13

• Super Waygook
Re: Do I need a visa for a stopover in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »
No, you will not will a visa.

Whenever you are traveling aborad (USA, Canada, China, Russia and etc). As long as you are not leaving the airport and have a transit/transfer ticket to your final destination you do not need a visa.

Offline courtneym

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:54:38 AM »
As Korea13 said, you will not need a visa for transit in the US (or for short-term tourism, if you were doing that). Canadians only need visas for the US if they will be working, studying, or taking an extended trip.

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »
That's a relief. Thanks for the replies.

If any other Canadians have had any personal experiences with stopovers in the U.S. and can also confirm that no transit visa is required, I will never tire of hearing that my first trip home in 4 years won't get f**ked up by this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:27:44 PM by BTeacher »

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
I would think that for a Canadian it would be basic knowledge that the US doesn't require visas from us for a visit?

Trump isn't in office just yet, you know...

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
You're 100% safe.  As has been mentioned you'd be 100% safe if you intended to holiday in the states, let alone transferring flights.

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »
I would think that for a Canadian it would be basic knowledge that the US doesn't require visas from us for a visit?

It's not a visit, it's a stopover.

Last time I visited the States I didn't need a visa (actually I once entered the US without a passport or even ID, but that's another story), but that was years ago. Things change.

Like I said, I just wanted to be doubly sure since I've never had a stopover in the US before, (and I once had some issues with a stopover in India on Christmas Eve.)

Anyway, I'm glad I'm safe.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:33:20 PM by BTeacher »

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 03:32:25 PM »

It's not a visit, it's a stopover.

Last time I visited the States I didn't need a visa (actually I once entered the US without a passport or even ID, but that's another story), but that was years ago. Things change.

Like I said, I just wanted to be doubly sure since I've never had a stopover in the US before, and I once had some issues with a stopover in India on Christmas Eve.

It should follow that if you are permitted to visit visa-free, you should certainly be able to transit visa-free, no?

In any case, you'll be fine.