February 16, 2019, 09:27:30 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282522 times)

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #880 on: July 15, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »
I'm two books deep into my first A Song of Ice and Fire re-read. Just as gut-wrenching, if not more, than the first.

You are a very brave person to re read them. The next book will most likely be no where close to being done by the time you finish.

Offline Dixie Wolf

• Adventurer
« Reply #881 on: July 15, 2015, 08:06:47 AM »
I'm two books deep into my first A Song of Ice and Fire re-read. Just as gut-wrenching, if not more, than the first.

You are a very brave person to re read them. The next book will most likely be no where close to being done by the time you finish.

Yeah, The Winds of Winter remains as elusive as ever, but I have steeled myself to that fact. The George will come through when he comes through.

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #882 on: July 15, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
I just finished No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.  Maybe I'll watch the movie sometime.

McCarthy is a master, I totally recommend the movie and The Road both the book and the movie version. I can honestly say the movie version is almost identical to the book in such a way as to make it an astonishing watch. I can't recall who directed it, but he must have been a mega fan of McCarthy's writing to keep it so close to the book.

Offline JLCutler

• Veteran
« Reply #883 on: July 15, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »
One hundred pages left of Gravity's Rainbow. This one's taken me longer than Infinite Jest did.

Offline tigersfan

• Waygookin
« Reply #884 on: July 15, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
I just finished "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts. It was a good read. I'd recommend it for the beach.

Offline matthews_world

• Super Waygook
« Reply #885 on: July 15, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »
Mostly into non-fiction and (auto)biographies.

As for fiction, I just finished the short story "The Professor and the Housekeeper" by Yoko Ogawa.  A simplistic, endearing read.  Ties the subject of math with life.

Just finished founding father biography of John Adams by David McCullough, "The Royals" by Kitty Kelley.

Starting on a book about the U.S. Civil War by Adam Goodheart "1861: The Civil War Awakening"

Finally trying to attempt to finish my TOEFL Master's and will be reading "How Languages are Learned" and "How I Learned English".  Should be pretty basic.

Offline MatthewHockey1987

• Adventurer
« Reply #886 on: July 15, 2015, 12:48:26 PM »
Finally got around to reading 'Lord of the Flies' - the language is dated as it was written in the 50s but it still holds up amazingly well.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #887 on: July 15, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
Finally got around to reading 'Lord of the Flies' - the language is dated as it was written in the 50s but it still holds up amazingly well.

It's a good classic.

Also like the film.

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #888 on: July 15, 2015, 02:21:27 PM »
If you've got the time for a non-fiction documentary style masterpiece, I'd suggest reading Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine...

A brilliantly in depth and highly researched book about the history of disaster capitalism in mostly developing countries, staring the twin Satans, the IMF and the CIA themselves.

Offline MatthewHockey1987

• Adventurer
« Reply #889 on: July 15, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »
I just finished No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.  Maybe I'll watch the movie sometime.

McCarthy is a master, I totally recommend the movie and The Road both the book and the movie version. I can honestly say the movie version is almost identical to the book in such a way as to make it an astonishing watch. I can't recall who directed it, but he must have been a mega fan of McCarthy's writing to keep it so close to the book.

It was the Coen Brothers. Script and direction. I know this is a book thread so I won't go on for too long, but if you haven't seen it you really owe it to yourself to give it a watch. It is the only film I have ever watched and then immediately watched it again without getting out of my chair. Could not give it a higher recommendation.

Offline onewsouffle

• Explorer
« Reply #890 on: August 21, 2015, 05:46:38 AM »
I had a Harry Potter withdrawal recently and decided to re-read the whole series to ease the pain  :P

Offline DireneedofDrPepper

• Veteran
« Reply #891 on: September 21, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
Did you see they've redone the Potter series in House colors? I'm so tempted to buy them, even though I already have all the books.

And no time to really read anything fun as I started a Master's this semester. Lindsey Buroker's books are good though.

Offline GotMyTowel

• Adventurer
« Reply #892 on: September 23, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »
I was discussing Gone Girl with one of my co-teachers and bemoaning the lack of literature in my life at the moment, and the next day she came to school with some similar books for me to borrow  ;D They're mostly beach-read types but one of the quickest ways to my heart is to buy me a book so I was really touched.

So right now I'm reading The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #893 on: September 23, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
I finished up my PF Hamilton binge and went straight to Andy Weir's much talked about these days novel "The Martian" not even knowing that it's a movie that just came out (or was going to come out, this was a month ago.) It's a great read and I'd recommend to anybody who likes a good book sci-fi fan or not. The movie's getting good reviews too. I'll have to get to it sometime.

Then I tried out the next David Weber book (I'd read the first two) and decided I really don't like David Weber. I gave up halfway through the book right around the twentieth boring mustache-twirlingly-evil political intrigue scene. I do not give up on books easily. Weber is a one-trick pony. How the Honor Harrington series has gotten to the obscene number of books it now envelops, I can't imagine. To anyone who's read further: does it ever get any better?

Now I'm re-reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and not enjoying it nearly as much as the first time through. Much like the fantasy nobility that features heavily in the book, it really is often a lot of flash and little substance. I can see why he was chosen to finish up Jordan's overlong, extraordinarily monotonous Wheel of Time series.

I picked up Kim Stanley Robinson's first Mars book the other day as well. Never read his stuff before, but I have high hopes for it.

Online denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #894 on: July 19, 2016, 01:31:41 PM »
In the past couple of months, I have read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote & "The Great Santini" by Pat Conroy.  Not sure what I'll read next.  I need to find a good book for the flight home on vacation.

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #895 on: July 19, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
A collection of short stories by Phillip K. Dick. Best science fiction author ever.

Online rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #896 on: July 19, 2016, 01:39:06 PM »
Currently trying to finish all of Haruki Murakami's works.  Currently trying to choose between Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #897 on: July 20, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
I just finished the most recent book in the "Expanse" series (Nemesis Games), and it was pretty good... although it really felt more like a setup for the next novel as opposed to a novel in and of itself. The TV show based on the series is pretty cool too!
   ...interesting note: the books are written by George R.R. Martin's editors/assistants, and the main protagonist of the show based on those books also happens to be Jon Snow from Game of Thrones.  :smiley:

Also just finished Patrick Rothfuss' "A Wise Man's Fear" (sequel to "The Name of the Wind"). A well written, vaguely dark fantasy. Good stuff. Would recommend.

Offline samgakji

• Adventurer
« Reply #898 on: July 20, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
Currently trying to finish all of Haruki Murakami's works.  Currently trying to choose between Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

Murakami is great. Dance, Dance, Dance / Colourless / Kafka on the Shore are my favourites.

I am reading Mao II right now by Don DeLillo. I'm enjoying it and it references Korea

Offline Eros

• Super Waygook
« Reply #899 on: July 20, 2016, 09:38:01 AM »
The Sea Hawk by Rafael Sabatini.