February 16, 2019, 08:52:54 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282504 times)

Offline Panic

• Veteran
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #820 on: January 26, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »
The Forgotten Depression by James Grant 

It shows in great detail how a depression can be ended quickly if the people in charge are willing to do what is right instead of what is popular.

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #821 on: January 26, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »
Here's the last few books I've finished over the past couple months:

The Damage Done - 12 years of hell in a Bangkok prison (great read about an Aussie guy caught trafficking heroin from Thailand to Australia)

The Testament - (my favorite John Grisham book so far)

Unbroken - (read before seeing the movie and would recommend anyone else to do the same. As usual, the book was loads better than the movie imo)

Currently reading Native Speaker (Chang-rae Lee) - Not sure what to make of the book yet, definitely starts slow.

Offline Jhedjuka

• Adventurer
« Reply #822 on: January 26, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
Just finished Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind, and A Wise Man's Fear. (Imagine a sped up Wheel of Time - No multiple perspectives - with a smoother narrative throughout.)

Next on the list is Haruki Murakami - 1Q84 books 1-3, then going to start Dune. ^_^

Offline MattAwesome

• Veteran
« Reply #823 on: January 26, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
just finished game of thrones book 4. while some mildly exciting stuff happened near the end, im not excited for the upcoming season.

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #824 on: January 26, 2015, 10:06:22 AM »
just finished game of thrones book 4. while some mildly exciting stuff happened near the end, im not excited for the upcoming season.

I thought that book 5 was really good. Some of the stuff that he did for that book really sets up some exciting things for the last two books.

Offline caerdroia

• Veteran
« Reply #825 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »
Started reading The Worm Ouroboros by Eric Rucker Eddison, which is kind of old-fashioned fantasy, but pretty good!  ;D

Dunno if anyone here uses the Scribd app, but it's a cheap way to get unlimited ebooks (fairly wide range) for under 10,000 a month - good if you are already paying money for ebooks and want to save a bit. The only problem is that they don't have everything on there like Amazon...
"Don't Panic"

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #826 on: January 26, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »
Started reading The Worm Ouroboros by Eric Rucker Eddison, which is kind of old-fashioned fantasy, but pretty good!  ;D

Oh wow, The Worm Ouroboros, that was quite a read. Check out my review if you are interested.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/240140856
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline caerdroia

• Veteran
« Reply #827 on: January 26, 2015, 10:52:15 AM »
Aklimkewicz, I see that you don't give it that high a rating!  :P So far I'm enjoying it in a fun way, though I agree that the language is a bit cheesy in some places... also the writer seems like he was a little too much in love with Old English poetry  :wink:
"Don't Panic"

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #828 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
It was rather difficult for me to read. The book was an interesting experiment in Jacobean text a few hundred years later, but the characterization and plot were not in-depth. There were parts I enjoyed though, and certainly recommend it for a fantasy fan.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline MattAwesome

• Veteran
« Reply #829 on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »
I tried reading invisible monsters. by the same guy that did fight club. didnt like it at all. I also started book five of game of thrones. Book 4 and 5 are parrellel to each other, so now I am more excited for the upcoming season. no big moves so far... :undecided:

Offline afheil89

• Veteran
« Reply #830 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »
Just finished song of ice and fire/game of thrones book 5 and now I feel lost on what to read! Seriously though, the books were amazing!
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

Offline Mizzuru

• Waygookin
« Reply #831 on: January 28, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
I'm on 'The Hundred Days' by Patrick O'Brian, fantastic series have polished off 18 of the 20 now.
Also reading 'The Republic' by Plato, interesting but a bit of a slog, so I break it up with other, easier, reads.
Finally I dip in and out of 'me talk pretty one day' by David Sedaris, very funny and I like the format, I finished 'let's explore diabetes with Owls' last year and a collection of short stories which he edited called 'children playing before a statue of Hercules' which was eclectic in all the right ways.

Also not a book but I found a copy of monocle finally, stupidly expensive but I do love it

Offline durestudios

• Waygookin
« Reply #832 on: January 29, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
Jorge Luis Borges- labrynths. Amazing read.

Offline funkseoulbrother

• Veteran
  • Level 4 Mathemagician
« Reply #833 on: January 30, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
Currently reading 'Look who's back', by Timur Vermes.  Hitler wakes up in a field in Berlin, Germany in 2011.  Funny, witty and very entertaining!

Offline arabesque

• Newgookin
« Reply #834 on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »
The Time Traveler's Wife

Offline tinkerbellmaggie

• Veteran
« Reply #835 on: February 04, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
I realised somewhere along the line I lost my love for reading so I have decided to go back to the genres that interest me the most - sci-fi/fantasy and murder/mystery/thriller

Murder at the Vicarage - Agatha Christie
Mistoborn Trilogy: The Hero of Ages - Bnrandon Sanderson.
A Time to Kill - John Grisham
The Seventy-seven Clocks - Christopher Fowler
Ten-second staircase - Christopher Fowler

Christopher Fowler is really good. I love his writing and how vividly he portrays his characters. If you read Wheel of Time, you might enjoy the Mistborn Trilogy. Have yet to get to Robert Jordan but it's been on the list for years!

Just started reading Grisham in the last 6 months - really enjoying him. Agatha - well she was my first adult author so the love is real!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:05:21 PM by tinkerbellmaggie »

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #836 on: February 04, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
Getting hyped for the new film and reading Jurassic Park again

Damn you Nedry!

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #837 on: February 04, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »
I realised somewhere along the line I lost my love for reading so I have decided to go back to the genres that interest me the most - sci-fi/fantasy and murder/mystery/thriller

Murder at the Vicarage - Agatha Christie
Mistoborn Trilogy: The Hero of Ages - Bnrandon Sanderson.
A Time to Kill - John Grisham
The Seventy-seven Clocks - Christopher Fowler
Ten-second staircase - Christopher Fowler

Christopher Fowler is really good. I love his writing and how vividly he portrays his characters. If you read Wheel of Time, you might enjoy the Mistborn Trilogy. Have yet to get to Robert Jordan but it's been on the list for years!

Just started reading Grisham in the last 6 months - really enjoying him. Agatha - well she was my first adult author so the love is real!

If you are a Sci Fi fan I would recommend you check out the Commonwealth Saga by Peter Hamilton.

Offline Seoulteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #838 on: February 04, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
Sperm Wars by Robin Baker. An evolutionary biologist's thesis on human sexuality in layman's terms. VERY interesting! :shocked:

Offline yourboychris

• Adventurer
  • www.dyingtotravel.com
« Reply #839 on: February 04, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »
After Dark by: Haruki Murakami
FREE $50 credit for Hostel, Guesthouse, B&B, etc.
www.airbnb.com/c/cair

Canadians: How to get a FREE Roundtrip to anywhere in North America
http://pointhunters.com