February 16, 2019, 08:48:20 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282494 times)

Offline JMW

• Adventurer
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #740 on: February 13, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
I've been reading a lot lately. Winter does that, eh.
But I've been finding my reading sometimes getting in the way.
I'm not a slow and steady kind of reader, I'm an all in, 12 hour reading marathon kinda girl.
So I've found when I need to get work done audio-books are amazing.

Before I left Canada for here I was in the middle of rereading several series from my childhood and teens. So while here where I don't have my personal library to pull from listening (rereading) those old books while I cook, clean, work, etc have become a real treat.

I also use the audiobooks as a way to read books I'm not really really sure I want to actually put the time in reading. So to test it out I audiobook it. Might as well get something else done while I listen to a crap novel.

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #741 on: February 13, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
I am counting listening to audio book as reading a book. So the book I am listening to right is the third book in the Hyperion series, Endymion by Dan Simmons

I am reading The Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier: Guardian by Jack Campbell. It is around the 8th book in the series.

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #742 on: February 13, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »
I am counting listening to audio book as reading a book. So the book I am listening to right is the third book in the Hyperion series, Endymion by Dan Simmons

I just read the original Hyperion book last year...I don't think I'll be reading the others.

The only audiobook I've ever listened to was Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Good times.

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #743 on: February 13, 2014, 01:29:19 PM »

I just read the original Hyperion book last year...I don't think I'll be reading the others.

The only audiobook I've ever listened to was Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Good times.

I was feeling the same way after reading the first book but the second is good because everything has been setup by the first book. Honestly they could just combine the two books, I think it would make for a better story.

Offline wizall

• Veteran
« Reply #744 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »

In my opinion, you should just stop at The Fall of Hyperion. The two Endymion books feel like they were written by a lesser author.

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
  • I'm a knight of my own republic.
« Reply #745 on: February 13, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
A very underwhelming book about professional development for teachers. I should continue to study and learn more about my field even after I become a teacher, you say?  :huh: What madness is this?  :rolleyes:

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #746 on: February 13, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »
i just finished stephen king's "on writing". good book, and a good insight to his craft and process.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline Dadkinson

• Adventurer
« Reply #747 on: February 13, 2014, 01:54:36 PM »
All of the Dexter books are great. They're only about 350 pages each. Nice, short, f-d up reads. The books are much more twisted than the show, but if you are a fan of the show, you should absolutely read the books. The books and the show took two very different routes. Think of it as entirely new Dexter stories!

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #748 on: February 13, 2014, 02:35:31 PM »
i just finished stephen king's "on writing". good book, and a good insight to his craft and process.

That's a great book for writers as well as non-writers.

I'm currently reading The Source by Brian Lumley all about British & Soviet ESP agents fighting vampires. Cheesy and gory fun!
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline tinkerbellmaggie

• Veteran
« Reply #749 on: February 17, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
On New Year's day I read Waris Dirie's Desert Flower. Autobiography about her life as a child in Somalia and her experiences there. It also talks about her early modelling years. Fascinating. For anyone interested in FGM an eye-opener.

Since then I've read Lee Child's A wanted man. Two Karen Rose's  - Did you miss me and I'm watching you. Georgette Heyer's The Quiet Gentleman, AC's One, two, buckle my shoe and finally Philip K Dick's do android's dream of electric sleep.

I am currently reading Under the Banner of heaven which is about Mormon Fundamentalism.

Next up will be Rant by Chuck Palahniuk

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #750 on: March 05, 2014, 07:37:54 AM »
If people here don't know about it I would also recommend bookdepository.com

They have good prices on books and free shipping to Korea.

I am a huge sci fi fan so that is mainly what I read, I would recommend Pandora Star by Peter Hamilton. It is far and away one of the best books I have read in a long time. 

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #751 on: March 18, 2014, 07:11:32 AM »
Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

with my book club.  ;D

It's okay, but it's a short little read so it's interesting enough.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
« Reply #752 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
Just finished Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  It's a quick read young adult novel, but I feel like it explored being an outcast in school rather well while still being appropriate for that age to read.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

Offline DireneedofDrPepper

• Veteran
« Reply #753 on: March 18, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »
Hellfire by Jean Johnson. It's the 3rd or 4th in a military sci-fi series.

Need to read the last book in the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson. I've got the book just sitting on my dresser, but I can't pick it up yet. Mostly cause I don't think I'm ready to say goodbye to that series yet. Well that, and everytime I read one of his books, whichever character I like the most usually ends up dead.

Offline Whatareseasons

• Explorer
« Reply #754 on: March 18, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
Just finished reading

"Only Beautiful Please" By John Everard He was the British Ambassador to North Korea from 2006 to 2008. It was an interesting view into a foreigners life in Pyongyang.

Just started "Tyranny of the Weak" by Charles K. Armstrong which is about North Korean foreign policy from 1950-1992. Only read the prologue so far but it's a good non-fiction read if you're interested in the DPRK and the Cold War!

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #755 on: March 18, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
"The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami. My third Murakami after "Norwegian Wood" and "Kafka on the Shore" and I prefer it to both of those so far.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
« Reply #756 on: March 20, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »
The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida

It's a book written by a teenage Japanese boy with autism, trying to explain why he behaves and acts the way he does and what it feels like to have to live with it.

It's a quick read but also really meaningful.  I heard about it on The Daily Show of all places and decided to read it and I freaking loved it.  It's one of those books that I will have to buy a physical copy of when I get back to the states.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

Offline dsb34b

• Waygookin
« Reply #757 on: April 09, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
"The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami. My third Murakami after "Norwegian Wood" and "Kafka on the Shore" and I prefer it to both of those so far.

Love Murakami. Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is probably his best.

I'm reading Dune by Frank Herbert right now, for about the 4th time. One of my favorites since I was about 13, it gets better every time :D

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #758 on: April 09, 2014, 11:43:52 AM »

I'm reading Dune by Frank Herbert right now, for about the 4th time. One of my favorites since I was about 13, it gets better every time :D

Such a great book, the back story that he created the world is amazing. I still need to get around to reading the other books.

I am currently going through the Dresden File books, they are pretty good. I really enjoy the first person writing.

I am going to read Star Trek: Destiny next.

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #759 on: April 09, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
The Count of Monte Cristo. It's massive.