February 16, 2019, 09:16:08 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282515 times)

Offline Octavrian

• Explorer
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #640 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »
I'm currently reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" by Steig Larsson. I'm about halfway through and I'm rather pleased with it.  It is far and away not what I expected and not my usual cup of tea.  In any case I'm enjoying it and would certainly recommend it to anyone interested in a thriller/mystery.

Not sure what to pick up after that though... but we'll see

Offline ISpeakBecauseICan

• Waygookin
« Reply #641 on: September 27, 2012, 08:50:16 AM »
Anna Karenina-- and I love it! :P Tolstoy gives each character depth. The story, though set in the 1870s in Russia, addresses topics that are relavent to today. It's long, but very easy to read. I highly recommend it.

Just finished reading that last week. I really enjoyed it but I could have down without the pages upon pages on the farming industry! Still, I would recommend it to any one. Did you sympathise with Anna or did you hate her?

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #642 on: September 27, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy.

Almost finished and I started this week  :laugh:

good series!! i read them after seeing the movie, and can see why people were disappointed in it.

i read it a little too quickly though, so the action kind of blurred together.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline 한소로

• Expert Waygook
  • SMOE
« Reply #643 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »
I usually read one fiction and one non fiction at the same time, my currents are:

Nonfiction: Escape from North Korea- Asia's Underground railroad.  I've read many books about North Korea, but I particularly like this one because it was published this year, so all of the information is up to date. It also mentions NK loggers and SK troops that have been inprisoned in NK for decades, which I hadn't read about before.

Fiction: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami- This is my first read by this famous author. It grabbed me from the begining with his writing style, in this alternate history novel.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #644 on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »
I usually read one fiction and one non fiction at the same time, my currents are:

Nonfiction: Escape from North Korea- Asia's Underground railroad.  I've read many books about North Korea, but I particularly like this one because it was published this year, so all of the information is up to date. It also mentions NK loggers and SK troops that have been inprisoned in NK for decades, which I hadn't read about before.

Fiction: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami- This is my first read by this famous author. It grabbed me from the begining with his writing style, in this alternate history novel.

i've been trying to get through this for months.... i like to story, but it can get a little monotonous at times. kind of reminds me of ozu's "late spring"  :(

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #645 on: October 02, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »
right now I'm tearing through Neil young's just release biography: "waging heavy peace". I'm a bit biased when it comes to Neil young as I adore everything he's ever made, and will defend it bitterly.

I'm about halfway through the book, and it is incredible so far. his writing style is a little perverse at times, but very informal and low-key. he takes you on a journey through his past (heh), and jumps from topic to topic quite randomly.

I'll report back when I'm finished!

Offline JeremyC

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #646 on: November 25, 2012, 09:24:47 AM »
Reading 'I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive' by Steve Earle - the book, not the album -  a ballad of regret and redemption, with the occasional shot of dirty brilliance. Definitely a page-turner.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

Offline hhh123

• Adventurer
« Reply #647 on: November 25, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »
DON QUIXOTE..the Spanish version of course~

Offline campbke

• Explorer
« Reply #648 on: November 25, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
I just finished Howl's Moving Castle, such a good book. Recommend it to people that like fantasy or magic.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #649 on: November 27, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
right now I'm tearing through Neil young's just release biography: "waging heavy peace". I'm a bit biased when it comes to Neil young as I adore everything he's ever made, and will defend it bitterly.

I'm about halfway through the book, and it is incredible so far. his writing style is a little perverse at times, but very informal and low-key. he takes you on a journey through his past (heh), and jumps from topic to topic quite randomly.

I'll report back when I'm finished!

reporting back...! i actually finished the book a while ago.

i thought it was great. if you're a music fan, and/or a fan of neil young's then it's a must-read. he goes on long tangents, and a lot of the book feels like he's just stringing things together, but there's quite a bit of insight into his career. i appreciated the stories he told from the 70s, and the talking about the tumultuous relationships he had.  he doesn't shy away from details either, and talks at length about all the drugs he was on. the book was written during a period of deep reflection, and his first time being sober: no drugs or alcohol.

some highlights for me:
- the chapter where he goes to costco
- revealing the meaning of one my favourite songs
- discussing his tours
- going through his albums in a used cd store and feeling meaningless at seeing his life's work just sitting in a cardboard box

things i didn't like:
- all the times he talked about how mp3s only have 95% of the original sound. okay neil! we get it... you hate mp3s and cds. music sounded better in your day!

he talks at length about a new music distribution service he has come up with: pono. it's supposed to supply "studio master quality" version of songs, to make it sound as though you're in the mixing room with an artist. i'll believe it when/if i hear it.

good book though. i'll probably read it again at some point.

Offline williethewimp

• Super Waygook
« Reply #650 on: November 27, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
Just started Jon Meacham's biography of Thomas Jefferson, so far very interesting. Also working on David Simon's "Homicide.." which was the basis for the TV show "Homicide: Life on the Street" also an excellent read.

Somebody told me "The Wire" was also based on a book he wrote, need to find that

Offline Jeff619

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #651 on: November 27, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »
Anna Karenina-- and I love it! :P Tolstoy gives each character depth. The story, though set in the 1870s in Russia, addresses topics that are relavent to today. It's long, but very easy to read. I highly recommend it.
I read the Russian version of this.  I'm actually curious to read it in English just to see if there's a different feel to it.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #652 on: December 02, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
I'm reading Alistair Urquhart's the Forgotten Highlander.

Amazing tale of survival. Sent to defend Singapore, overrun by the Japanese and then treated with the utmost cruelty. He survived dysentery, cholera, the slave ship he was on being torpedoed by Americans (who didn't know it was a slave ship) and then he was picked up again by the Japanese after floating at sea for days before being taken 13km outside of Nagasaki where he felt the blast of the Atomic bomb.

He's in his 90s and he now teaches old people how to use modern technology.

For people who are interested in WWII but are a bit sick of the massive focus by western nations on Europe or for those who are simply interested in incredible tales of survival.

I read the Russian version of this.  I'm actually curious to read it in English just to see if there's a different feel to it.

Quite possibly. Translation is another form of creative writing itself, I've always thought. Just look at the King James Bible compared to more or less any other version to see the creativity of translation at work - not that I can, or ever will, understand the original source material of course but different translations are interesting nonetheless.

Anna Karenina. Another epic that I never got round to finishing. My problem is, I buy new books before I finish the last one.  :-[
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline stemarty

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #653 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:58 AM »

[/quote]

I'm also digging my way through 1Q84 and the author really pulls the reader into the story. Although, sometimes it seems like he is being a bit too descriptive and it can get a little dry.

The story and the characters are exciting and alive. I really am enjoying this story. Definitely recommend it. 

Offline rach229

• Veteran
« Reply #654 on: December 04, 2012, 08:22:07 AM »
I just started the Game Of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin! I'm addicted already. Not too surprised since I'm addicted to the TV show and books are better 99.9% of the time.

Offline cheezsteakwit

• Veteran
« Reply #655 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »
I just started the Game Of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin! I'm addicted already. Not too surprised since I'm addicted to the TV show and books are better 99.9% of the time.

^^^^ THIS +1,000

I was struggling to remember the last English book I read & you just reminded me - I devoured these books before I left for Korea, then gave them to my best friend.

Before that, I read "The Life of Pi" while on a Summer road trip with the parents.  I'm looking forward to the movie adaptation of that one.

Anyway, the THIRD Game of Thrones book was the BEST , IMO , so it'll be interesting to see what they do with the upcoming 3rd season of the TV show. I don't see how they can fit ALL of the action from that 3rd book into one TV season.  The 3rd book was THAT good.  Enjoy!

I've had my nose buried in Korean grammar books since March, & sadly haven't read any English books while in Korea, BUT I just discovered the "What The Book! store in Itaewon this past weekend.

I purchased "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.  It's about his adventures on the Appalachian Trail.  I'm saving that book for the beach in Thailand next month.

I previously read his book, "A Short History of Nearly Everything." & that was a very good book.  I really like his wrting style.     

Offline KaylaKayKoala

• Adventurer
« Reply #656 on: December 04, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »
I just finished Pearl S. Buck's The Living Reed, a historical fiction set in Korea before, during, and just after the Japanese occupation. I really enjoyed it. I felt a great surge of pride in Korea after finishing, which is strange, since I have absolutely no Korean heritage.

Also just finished Essays In Love. That book was...phenomenal. I wanted to underline every other line.

Now...I suppose I'll get around to finishing the books on my bookshelf I bought a while back but didn't get around to reading. Pompeii, The Guest, and Demian.

If anyone has any good history book recommendations, send them my way! I'm not a big history buff, but I love historical novels (both set in the past, and written in the past).

Offline cheezsteakwit

• Veteran
« Reply #657 on: December 04, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »
If anyone has any good history book recommendations, send them my way! I'm not a big history buff, but I love historical novels (both set in the past, and written in the past).
[/quote

I liked James Micheners books - They are works of historical fiction.  I've read  "Hawaii","Alaska" , "Chesepeake", "Centennial" (about Colorado) "Texas" & "Poland"

I also liked James Clavells books - "Shogun" " Gai Jin" , "Noble House" & I know I'm missing one in the series ... "Tai Pan " maybe ? -  his books follow a fictional family set around Japan & or Hong Kong throiughout several centuries.

I'll have to check out that Pearl S Buck book -  thanks for the recommendation.

Offline KaylaKayKoala

• Adventurer
« Reply #658 on: December 04, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
I liked James Micheners books - They are works of historical fiction.  I've read  "Hawaii","Alaska" , "Chesepeake", "Centennial" (about Colorado) "Texas" & "Poland"

I also liked James Clavells books - "Shogun" " Gai Jin" , "Noble House" & I know I'm missing one in the series ... "Tai Pan " maybe ? -  his books follow a fictional family set around Japan & or Hong Kong throiughout several centuries.

I'll have to check out that Pearl S Buck book -  thanks for the recommendation.
I've read a few Michener books. Texas, Hawaii, and I maybe started another but I don't recall finishing it.

I actually found him from another author, Edward Rutherford. The quote on the front of his book The Princes of Ireland says "A giant, sprawling, easy-to-read story told in James Michener fashion." 

I'll check out some of Clavell's books when I get time! Thanks for the name!

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #659 on: December 26, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »

I would recommend SILENCE, by my favorite writer Shusako Endo. An awesome historical novel.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca