February 22, 2019, 11:39:32 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282802 times)

Offline tinkerbellmaggie

• Veteran
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #620 on: August 24, 2012, 08:22:40 AM »
Thanks to vacation time and all the trains I took I have caught up on some reading:

Tom Clancy: Clear and Present Danger - excellent read but especially in the beginning so many characters that it was hard to keep track of who was who. However, I am now dying to read Patriot Games :)

Read GK Chesterton's The Man who knew too much....not related to the Hitchcock Movie.
Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Scarlett Pimpernel

The Watcher's Trilogy: Awakening -  .... good concept but terrible writing

I also previewed a few other books but I can't say if they are great or not... this one seems promising: Jeffrey Archer - Only Time will tell.

Offline hiphopopotamus

• Super Waygook
« Reply #621 on: August 24, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »
Over the summer vacation, I read a great book called "Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami. It was my first book by him (and I've already got my second one purchased, Norwegian Wood) and what a mind-bender! I  cruised through the first 130 pages of Kafka on my flight from Seoul to Kuala Lumpur, and just couldn't put it down. It was so compelling.

The last third of the book fades in appeal a bit, but overall I'm really impressed with this story and storytelling style. It reminded me greatly of a David Lynch film.

Anyone else here can sing the praises of Murakami?

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
« Reply #622 on: August 24, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »

I first read his history book about the gasing of the Tokyo underground, but I've since branched to his fiction work.  I loved the Wind up Bird Chronicals and I'm reading his newest 1Q84 right now.

I used to work at a book store and every day someone came in looking for his stuff from a wide range of ages, races, classes, etc.  He seems to be one of those authors who gets under your skin in a pleasant way.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
« Reply #623 on: September 04, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »
I just finished "Hop on Pop" and "Are You My Mother?" by Dr. Seuss.

Awesome, both of them.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Offline tinkerbellmaggie

• Veteran
« Reply #624 on: September 05, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »
Finished The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie, reading P&P by Austen on my ebook and Let me in in a regular book.

Offline Aleksuh

• Veteran
« Reply #625 on: September 05, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »

I first read his history book about the gasing of the Tokyo underground, but I've since branched to his fiction work.  I loved the Wind up Bird Chronicals and I'm reading his newest 1Q84 right now.

I used to work at a book store and every day someone came in looking for his stuff from a wide range of ages, races, classes, etc.  He seems to be one of those authors who gets under your skin in a pleasant way.

I'm in the middle of 1Q84 too :) I'm enjoying it too, but not quite as much as I did The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I think that might be his best. I'd also recommend Sputnik Sweetheart - I haven't read many more eloquent descriptions of loneliness than are in that book.

I'm also reading Korea's Place in the Sun by Bruce Cumings and Gender Trouble by Judith Butler.
Steal my lessons from @ http://breathyvowel.wordpress.com | Follow me on Twitter: @breathyvowel

Offline AfroBurrito

• Veteran
« Reply #626 on: September 05, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »
Finished The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie, reading P&P by Austen on my ebook and Let me in in a regular book.

Those are wonderful books! 

I just finished The Mansion of Happiness:  A History of Life and Death by Jill Lepore.  It was OK.  I wanted a little more.  Still, a lot of interesting tidbits in the book.

Currently reading A Tour of the Senses:  How Your Brain Interprets the World by John M. Henshaw.  I like it very much. 

Next I will be reading The Age of Insight:  The Question to Understand the Unconscious in Art, Mind, and Brain from Vienna 1900 to Present by Eric Kandel. 

I recently ordered Why Does the World Exist?  An Existential Detective Story by Jim Holt; I've read nothing but good things about this book and am very excited to read it. 

Offline wrinklebump

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #627 on: September 05, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
just finished
about to start
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

Offline devanna

• Adventurer
« Reply #628 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »
Right now reading the newest books in the Percy Jackson series. God I love them....

Offline Ramplo

• Waygookin
  • Practice makes better, but nobody's perfect.
« Reply #629 on: September 06, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
I love that this post started over a year ago and yet the book lovers keep coming back for more...I just picked up Mariana by Susanna Kearsley...can't really say too much about it yet.

Generally I read mostly urban fantasy, I love Jeaniene Frost, Patricia Briggs, and many many others.

Offline purpletequila

• Veteran
« Reply #630 on: September 13, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »
Almost done reading "People Who Eat Darkness" by Richard Lloyd Parry.

Although I tend to find true crime books a tad sleazy, this was extremely sensitively and well written. I'm putting off reading the last chapter because it's so hauntingly beautiful.

Offline amandamiller430

• Newgookin
« Reply #631 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:31 PM »
I guess I jumped on the bandwagon and am reading the Song of Ice and Fire series.  I'm currently in the third one, Storm of Swords, and man is it good.  The characters are so diverse and only a few are truly "bad" or "good."  The one complaint I have is there are so many characters that it is hard to keep track sometimes, but all in all I'm really enjoying the series.

Next up is Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel or Catch 22 by Heller.

Offline jaxije

• Adventurer
« Reply #632 on: September 14, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »
I'm reading The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone (yes the actress from Clueless), but as I read this book for the second time, I'm still so impressed by how intelligent she is.  I learned so much about food in America that I never knew before and I got some great recipes out of it even though I wouldn't really call it a cook book.

***Also it is not about "dieting." No atkins here! : )

Offline alljokingaside

• Veteran
« Reply #633 on: September 14, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »
Over the summer vacation, I read a great book called "Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami. It was my first book by him (and I've already got my second one purchased, Norwegian Wood) and what a mind-bender! I  cruised through the first 130 pages of Kafka on my flight from Seoul to Kuala Lumpur, and just couldn't put it down. It was so compelling.

The last third of the book fades in appeal a bit, but overall I'm really impressed with this story and storytelling style. It reminded me greatly of a David Lynch film.

Murakami rocks my socks all wash long! rah, rah, rah.

all joking aside, I remember having been assigned TWUBC during high school and loving every minute of it. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is a ton of fun, too. Norwegian Wood is slightly sentimental, if I remember correctly, but all right nonetheless. The movie is ok. After Dark was....not so good, imo.

Offline Aristotle

• Waygookin
« Reply #634 on: September 14, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »
I am reading "The Duty of Genius". It is a biography of Wittgenstein. Even for people without much of a background in philosophy, it is an interesting read.

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #635 on: September 14, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »
I am reading "The Duty of Genius". It is a biography of Wittgenstein. Even for people without much of a background in philosophy, it is an interesting read.
I studied Wittgenstein a lot in grad school. If you or anyone else would ever like to talk about his ideas, drop me a PM.  :D Not many people in Asia do i meet who know or care about him or his remarks.

Snowdog11

« Reply #636 on: September 14, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
Just finished "Castle Perilous" by John DeChancie for the third time and will read the rest of the 8-book series again. It's a very fast and fun read - first time I couldn't put it down and finished in one sitting - and the others are enjoyable too.

And for any Kindlers (or other e-reader readers) out there, I recommend checking out another fantasy writer: David Dalglish.  He offers his first book, "The Weight of Blood" for free.  I'm so glad I gave his stories a chance - he has some other series I will begin next.

Offline Born of Stardust

• Waygookin
« Reply #637 on: September 15, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
Anna Karenina-- and I love it! :P Tolstoy gives each character depth. The story, though set in the 1870s in Russia, addresses topics that are relavent to today. It's long, but very easy to read. I highly recommend it.

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #638 on: September 15, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »
Anna Karenina-- and I love it! :P Tolstoy gives each character depth.
They all sound like him imo, like Neitzsche, philosophy disguised as fiction.

Now, Dostoyevsky I believe knew how to portray the human condition in a myriad of forms, as does his contemporary Edith Wharton and the modern Isabel Allende.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #639 on: September 15, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »
Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy.

Almost finished and I started this week  :laugh:
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.