February 16, 2019, 09:48:25 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282532 times)

Offline paladin777

• Veteran
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2011, 01:05:52 PM »
What the Book is an awesome shop. If anyone wants to get some English books, they deliver anywhere in Korea for very little. Also, they accept bank transfers so you don't need a credit card! They informed me every step of the way on my order's progress...

And now I have Superman: Earth One...MoooOohahahahaha *cough, cough*

Offline princesspeach

• Adventurer
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
I'm reading Seeing Further which is about the royal society and how it changed the world ( or rather how the brilliant people in the royal society changed the world )

Offline tyl6r

• Adventurer
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
some great books on this thread! loved water for elephants, and atlas shrugged is a fantastic novel (for sure long winded, though. the john galt speaks chapter is PAINFUL).  if you like ayn rand but don't want to commit to the behemoth that is atlas shrugged, you sould check out anthem. it's more of a story, and less of a dissertation.

if you're into non-fiction, i'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.  it's a history of mormonism, both mainstream and fundamentalist, focused around the docrine of polygamy. it's a great read, truly fascinating!

Offline whaleshark

• Adventurer
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2011, 01:17:08 PM »
Great thread and great ideas!!

I just started "One Hundred Years of Solitude" and so far it's quite interesting. I stumbled across *ahem* a large grouping of books for my Kindle, so I'm working on catching up on a lot of the classics.

One of my absolute favorite books ^^

I most recently read the Rabbit series by John Updike and two of Malcolm Gladwell's books "Outliers" and "Blink."

I'm in the middle of Haruki Murakami's "The Elephant Vanishes." It's pretty good so far, but I prefer his novels. 

I intend to read some translated Korean literature before my time here is up...

Offline hellomoonye

• Explorer
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »
My favorite book is Night Train To Lisbon!! ,a philosophical novel.

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I wish they could hurry up and solve the damn mystery.  ::)That book is sooooo all over the place. Plus they are going to release the film this year with Tom Hanks, yet again. But it's a trashy read.  ::)

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2011, 01:28:02 PM »
Rough guide to Korea and Rough Guide to the Philippines, great books and I think any of the Rough Guide series will be great.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Bry

• Explorer
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2011, 01:31:28 PM »
I've recently read Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demwick. It's non-fiction but written in a narrative way and an interesting read while you're in Korea.

I would recommend The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, I saw it in Kyobo Books in Seoul, so it's available here... It was originally published as an adult novel in Australia and a Young Adult novel in North America (I wrote my thesis on it and changed my topic so I could write about it!).

Also, if anyone is into YA lit, The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins is a fast-paced enjoyable read. Dystopian escapism :)

Right now I'm also going through the freebies on my Kobo, they're a great option to be carrying around extra books for in between those ones you really want to read!

A book exchange is a great idea, whoever mentioned it! I would love to set one up in Cheongju or somewhere relatively close.

Offline zongal2012

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »
Don Miguel Ruiz- The mastery of Love
PG Wodehouse- The man upstairs and other stories

Offline The.it.girl

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 01:35:24 PM »
Everything ZANE has written^^

Offline adriansergiusz

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (loving it!)

and a new psychology book that looks to replace the unscientific term "evil" as the cause for human cruelty with "a lack of empathy" being the root cause. It's called "Zero Degrees of Empathy: A New Theory of Human Cruelty" and it's by Simon Baron-Cohen. It's changing the way I think about people and their motives for cruelty.

He's quite the psychologist, he has some very insightful hypotheses. The Baron-Cohen family is quite famous, did you know his cousin is Sasha Baron-Cohen  better known as "Ali G" "Borat" and "Bruno" crazy stuff.

Offline ammyleee

• Waygookin
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
My girlfriend is reading that  :D

She couldn't recommend it high enough, so it's next on the menu.

It can be tough to find books here, eh!

Have you heard of What the Book?  www.whatthebook.com
They have hundreds of English titles that arrive at your door in 2-10 days.

As for me, I've been reading:

Hope's Edge - Frances Moore Lappe
Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan

West with the Night - Beryl Markham
No Picnic on Mount Kenya - Felice Benuzzi

The first two are about the food security/organic farming/industrial food industry etc... and the latter two are anecdocal portrayals of various African adventures. All four are excellent reads!

Omnivore's Dilemma is my favorite book!!! I absolutely love Michael Pollen! If you're interested in food/security/farming etc, all of Pollen's books are great: Botany of Desire, In Defense of Food, and even Food Rules (a really really quick read!). 

How's Hope's Edge?

Offline eskimo6

• Explorer
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2011, 01:46:14 PM »
"Terra Incognita" by Sara Wheeler. She's a travel writer who spent 7 months in Antarctica, traveling to different bases and hanging out with scientists. It's fascinating, beautifully written and sometimes hilarious, and it makes me appreciate the warm spring weather even more ^^

Offline hokeypokey

• Veteran
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »

Reply #5 on: Today at 10:39:14 am
Has anyone read "Please Look After Mother" translated from the Korean novel by Kyung-Sook Shin?
-I am reading that right now.
 I've also read "Our Twisted Hero" by Yi Munol a Korean translated book about a new student's relationship with his class leader.  It was a page turner, and super insightful into Korean student culture.

Offline NamDaegu

• Explorer
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
I'm reading Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut right now...really good.. Korean related.. has anyone read that book by the English teacher who spent time in jail here.. Brother One Cell?  Is it any good?

Offline Tootsie

• Waygookin
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »
I'm reading The resilient man by John MacDonald. It's full of wisdom. Especially for the sports minded.

Offline teacherM

• Adventurer
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2011, 02:27:22 PM »
A long way gone- Memoirs of a boy soldier by Ishmael Beah

Offline Kurtbob

• Adventurer
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »
Finished the Red Badge of Courage and am currently reading 1491. I tend to switch between fiction and non-fiction to keep my mind sharp.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (loving it!)

and a new psychology book that looks to replace the unscientific term "evil" as the cause for human cruelty with "a lack of empathy" being the root cause. It's called "Zero Degrees of Empathy: A New Theory of Human Cruelty" and it's by Simon Baron-Cohen. It's changing the way I think about people and their motives for cruelty.

He's quite the psychologist, he has some very insightful hypotheses. The Baron-Cohen family is quite famous, did you know his cousin is Sasha Baron-Cohen  better known as "Ali G" "Borat" and "Bruno" crazy stuff.

Baron-Cohen isn't a common last name so I'd guessed the link but had yet to google it and confirm - a talented family! It's my first psychology book and I'd say it could be a course book at university as well as being good for some personal reading. I think he's right, empathy is the most valuable human resource we have and when we lose empathy, we lose the ability to see other people as beings like ourselves and that's when murders/atrocities/genocides are committed.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline RachelTibai

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »
I'm reading 'Saving Fish from Drowning' by Amy Tan.  Not a bad read.  I feel naked if I'm not reading a book so does anyone know any good places to buy English books here?

E-Books!!! Bye online or get them for free. Kindles and other E-readers are relatively inexpensive. I got a Kindle before I left the states and stocked up on e-books (somewhere around 3,000 of them). I have been here for 6ish weeks and already killed 12 books already. I would be be very sad without reading material. So, for me at least e-books and e-readers are a practical solution to obtaining English books in Korea. Ok that is all:)