February 16, 2019, 09:57:28 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282536 times)

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #540 on: April 20, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
Losing my Cool.
http://www.amazon.com/Losing-My-Cool-Fathers-Hip-hop/dp/159420263X
I met Thomas when I was working for a hotel driving the shuttle. Interesting guy and very deep-thinker.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Super Waygook
« Reply #541 on: April 20, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
http://mises.org/document/3095

God's Gold by John T. Flynn. One of the earliest biographies of John D. Rockefeller. I didn't know much about the guy until recently, beyond him being a robber baron, or what ever. The facts don't seem to back up the myth. Yes, he was a rapacious business man, but that was to the benefit of society at large.

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #542 on: May 03, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
Recently finished Agatha Christie's 'The ABC Murders.'  Some nice easy reading and furthermore enjoyable if one reads her aware in the context of how cutting edge she was at the time.

Am reading 'Girl with a Dragon Tattoo' at the moment.

No whatthebook here in Shanghai...

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
« Reply #543 on: May 04, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
I just finished "Hop on Pop" by Dr. Seuss. It was funny and made me miss my dad.

I just started Slash's autobiography. He partook of a lot of illegal substances. I don't think Dr. Seuss would approve.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Offline annab22

• Explorer
« Reply #544 on: May 04, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
Just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin, moving on the The Hunger Games! Want to read the book before I see the movie!

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #545 on: May 04, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
Just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin, moving on the The Hunger Games! Want to read the book before I see the movie!

Doing the same thing.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline recordingtime

• Adventurer
« Reply #546 on: May 04, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »
I get pretty ADD with book reading...so depending on my mood:

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire, in Korean to help me read faster.
Nothing to Envy (forgot who ;_;)
The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton

Finished 1Q84 by Murakami a couple of months ago so those who haven't read it, definitely should pick it up..

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #547 on: May 05, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »
@hippo - Vermillion Sands is one of a kind.

@jrong - another great book about beliefs and their role in shaping the way we live and learned to navigate through the world through believing from experience that one event has causation upon the next is 'Six Impossible things before Breakfast' by Lewis Wolport. 

Offline williethewimp

• Super Waygook
« Reply #548 on: May 05, 2012, 10:25:05 PM »
Just finished "Escape from Camp 14" what got to me was how much trouble the author had had adjusting to life in the west, if that was just one case imagine how it will be dealing with millions of people with a similar experience if and when the north collapses. Economically it will make the unification of Germany seem easy.

Just downloaded all 4 of Robert Caro's book on LBJ. I was in grad school doing a Texas History through biography just before the second book came out the prof recommended it but I never got around to reading it. Now I have my reading set for the next 4 months

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #549 on: May 07, 2012, 07:29:27 AM »
"The Sense of Ending" By Julian Barnes...
Meh...it was okay.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Sense-Ending-Julian-Barnes/dp/0307360822/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336346769&sr=8-7

I liked how he showed that our perceptions of our memories aren't always what really was, how they're tainted/distorted by our own selfish prejudices.
I also liked that it was a quick read-160 pages.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #550 on: May 07, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
^^ Was kind of convoluted and concieted.  Very cereberal and not very heartfelt.  More like a story written just for the purpose of revealing a tricksy ending.

On Chesil Beach by MacEwan a much better take on the theme.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #551 on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »
^^ Was kind of convoluted and concieted.  Very cereberal and not very heartfelt.  More like a story written just for the purpose of revealing a tricksy ending.

On Chesil Beach by MacEwan a much better take on the theme.

Sense of Ending?
A little bit conceited and a lot convoluted, especially toward the end.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline seanathon

• Adventurer
« Reply #552 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »

Finished 1Q84 by Murakami a couple of months ago so those who haven't read it, definitely should pick it up..

Just finished 1Q84 too. I enjoyed Kafka on the Shore a bit more though. I want to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle sometime but I'm going to take a little break from Murakami for a few months. I picked up House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski in the meantime.

Offline hiphopopotamus

• Super Waygook
« Reply #553 on: May 08, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
I tried House of Leaves when it was first published, over ten years ago. A trip of a read. Hope you can get through the footnotes and "winding" text design! good luck!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #554 on: May 08, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
Bought Murakami's 'The Elephant Vanishes' yesterday.  Looks like a great read.  I really like his early short novels and story collections.  I love the down to earth human feeling in them. 'South of the Boarder...,' 'Norweigan Wood,' 'Sputnick Satellite' all works of art.

At the bookstore, I browsed through 'American Psycho.'  Couldn't bring myself to buy it, it is a great work and comment on modern America's culture, but not exactly an easy read.

Am really looking forward to get started on the Murakami collection later today with a cappucino after my sauana. I hope I can have the discipline to close the book after each story and ration them a day at a time, but I probably won't. 

I also bought a 'Guide to Shanghai' yesterday.  My weekend is Monday and Tuesday here.  So the plan is to visit at least one major tourist attraction every week and try a new dish in that area and the book is my companion piece to that.  Jingang Temple and Fuzhou Road were great half days out.  Today was going to be a visit Yeyuan gardens, but rain spoiled play so it's off to a Korean Sauna I found nearby that does Korean food also, hope they serve sundooboo chiggae as it was and is my favorite Korean dish.

I highly reccomend getting a good guide and maxing out your days off instead of staying in bed or drinking oneself silly all weekend, both degenerate and inveterate habbits that the fallout of which have driven and inspired me to start experiencing as many aesthetic pleasures as I can in Shanghai during my days off of work.  The weeks were starting to feel bland and repetitive and I had become to feel zombiefied.  Plus the walking will get me in better shape for summer.  And there is always the background anticipation that I might just meet someone special whilst out and about...  Yesterday I was on Fuzhou Lu and saw a group of European Uni students standing outside a large hotel and the gorgeousness of the sultry, tanned, slender women made me stop almost dead in my tracks.  It was if a light had been switched on in a dusty, dark room and my heart had been jump started.  I sauntered over on the pretence of checking out the Japanese sushi bar next door, looking half decent in my 'James Dean' go-to attire of Nikes, denims and a white v-neck with breast pocket and looking moderately toned from recent push up / crunches and squat sessions.  This absolute Aphrodite, tall, slender, bronzed in a light summer dress walked over, shot me the type of smile as she brushed her hand through her hair that could glue a man to the spot.  She stood next to me twirling a strand of hair in her slender hand and said 'looks pretty good no?' in a soft husky Italian accent and with a grin...   Silly me has been too preoccupied with gambling and drinking the past three years - yes three years - and is so out of practise that without meaning to I mumbled in a voice which seemed to be working independently of me 'yes, not bad' and my brain seemed clogged as I stood there silent whilst aware that usually I once would have began the small talk immediately and then when she asked about what something on the menu was, I mumbled again something about it being pork and not chicken and my brain seemed frozen and momentarily not in my control.  All the while I had a peripheral vision playing of how myself of a few years ago would have talked and acted and complimented her on her dress etc.  It was as though two film clips were being superimposed over one another. I felt like he was another person that had gotten away from me and needed getting back.

Basically, she walked off seeming disappointed.  I doubt she was as disappointed - nor as confused as I.  What had just happned / not happened?  This made me decide to start drinking less and getting out and about more...

So yeah, back on topic - get a decent guidebook and get to know your local environs better if you've been neglecting that.   :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:27:26 PM by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

Offline recordingtime

• Adventurer
« Reply #555 on: May 08, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

Just finished 1Q84 too. I enjoyed Kafka on the Shore a bit more though. I want to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle sometime but I'm going to take a little break from Murakami for a few months. I picked up House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski in the meantime.

Lucky me, I bought Kafka on the Shore not that long ago so it's on the list. My friend who recommended other Murakami books said she likes Wind-Up Bird so I'll probably read that after a while.

If you like Murakami, you'd like Kazuo Ishiguro, if you aren't familiar with his stuff...he wrote Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day, two of his most popular ones.

Offline Sprite06

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • Waygook Turtle
« Reply #556 on: May 08, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »
about 65% through :

No plot spoilers but this book is quite a bit less eventful than Storm of Swords

Offline Chris33166

• Explorer
« Reply #557 on: May 10, 2012, 08:09:34 AM »
I've been on a bit of a Chomsky kick.  Well, not really a kick--  I finished "Hegemony or Survival" about a week ago, and just started 'Manufacturing Consent."

Hegemony was a bit of any eye-opener, and I'm very cynical to start with!  Hegemony chronicles the lengths the US has taken to assert and maintain global dominance.  You'll learn lots about the cold war and Latin America.   Manufacturing Consent is the media side of this book--it analyzes how the media filters and promotes only what the organizations in power deem to be worthy.  I'm only about 70 pages in, but so far it seems to be accompanied by loads of case studies to make the point. 

I recommend both, and think that they both have the potential to increase cynicism, which is far too scarce these days!

Happy reading...

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #558 on: May 10, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
^^

Cynicicsm?  Realism more like.

There has always been a regional hegemony power base and global / partial global ones for centuries.  The US is doing nothing that someone else would be doing if they weren't doing it.

It's life.

Offline woman-king

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #559 on: May 10, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »

I recommend both, and think that they both have the potential to increase cynicism, which is far too scarce these days!

Happy reading...

Man.  I want to be friends with whoever you hang out with that gives you that perspective on the world.