February 16, 2019, 09:10:11 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282512 times)

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #520 on: April 06, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »
I have become very interested in reading about North Korea and it's political prisons.

I just finished Escaping North Korea by Mike Kim, not nearly as good as I had hoped.  Just began reading Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West by Blaine Harden. This book was just released in March and is about Shin Dong-Hyuk, the only known North Korean to have been born inside a gulag and escaped.  Has received very good reviews.  Other decent reads on North Korea that I have enjoyed include Rogue Regime: Kim Jong Il and the Looming Threat of North Korea, Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, The Aquariums of Pyongyang and Comrades and Strangers: Behind the Closed Doors of North Korea.

Offline threefold

• Adventurer
« Reply #521 on: April 06, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »
Orhan Pamuk's "My Name is Red"

A ripper of a read so far.

Offline hiphopopotamus

• Super Waygook
« Reply #522 on: April 07, 2012, 07:03:16 AM »
Orhan Pamuk's "My Name is Red"

A ripper of a read so far.

There's a new TED talk by Chip Kidd, who designed the book cover for "My Name is Red" among other popular titles. He mentions his design for this book and it's really quite clever. I can't remember at what point in the 17-minute talk he mentions this title, but it's worth viewing I think

http://www.ted.com/talks/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

Offline threefold

• Adventurer
« Reply #523 on: April 09, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »
Thanks for the link!

Offline Tonga007

• Waygookin
« Reply #524 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »
I read please look after mother
I enjoyed the book, now when I go through Seoul station and other hot spot transfer points I am more aware of my surroundings and the people in them.

Offline alyssa.callahan

• Super Waygook
« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »
Wow, everyone likes all this non-fiction and thriller stuff!   :o

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, but I am a big fan of young adult fantasy (except Twilight... I can't stand that book.) ::)

I'm currently trying to read the Hunger Games series.  I read the first volume before the second and third book were published but wasn't a fan.  Now that all three books are out and the movies are starting to make their rounds, I figured it's time to pick it up.  I'm on the second one, "Catching Fire".  I liked the first book better the second time I read it for some reason.

Offline hahaha27

• Waygookin
« Reply #526 on: April 09, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
I read Shanghai baby at the weekend, it started off so promising but I didn't like it all that much overall. Going to start Wild Swans next which has better reviews!
I recommend Shantaram, loved it  ;D

Offline nimchimpskii

• Waygookin
« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:31 AM »
Just finished 'A feast of crows' by George R.R. Martin. Also second season of 'Game of thrones' has just started -YIPPEE!

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Super Waygook
« Reply #528 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »
Just finished 'A feast of crows' by George R.R. Martin. Also second season of 'Game of thrones' has just started -YIPPEE!

How did you like it?

I just finished A Dance With Dragons. A Feast For Crows is probably my least favorite. Unfortunately, the series doesn't get any more exciting than A Storm Of Swords but it does improve from FFC.

Offline nimchimpskii

• Waygookin
« Reply #529 on: April 11, 2012, 10:29:56 AM »

How did you like it?

I just finished A Dance With Dragons. A Feast For Crows is probably my least favorite. Unfortunately, the series doesn't get any more exciting than A Storm Of Swords but it does improve from FFC.

I absolutely loved it! My favourite character so far is Arya, so I loved the last book. I hope he finishes the series before he kicks the bucket.

Offline mfrenglish

• Newgookin
« Reply #530 on: April 11, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
About to finish Dreaming in Chinese by Deborah Fallows.  Then I'll be starting Through the Language Glass by Guy Deutscher.  Has anybody read either of these?

Offline leeam88

• Explorer
« Reply #531 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »
The Hunger Games, as tribute to the movie!! lol.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #532 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »
Just began reading Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West by Blaine Harden. This book was just released in March and is about Shin Dong-Hyuk, the only known North Korean to have been born inside a gulag and escaped.  Has received very good reviews. 

i was just about to post about this book. it is absolutely gripping. a must read!
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline mpark28

• Adventurer
« Reply #533 on: April 12, 2012, 12:23:45 PM »
Reading Empire of the Sun at the moment. Never read it before and only saw the movie once more than twenty years ago. It's great. I love Ballard's writing style. Nice and descriptive. Will definitely be reading more of his books after this.

Offline hiphopopotamus

• Super Waygook
« Reply #534 on: April 12, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »
Reading Empire of the Sun at the moment. Never read it before and only saw the movie once more than twenty years ago. It's great. I love Ballard's writing style. Nice and descriptive. Will definitely be reading more of his books after this.

I've read a number of Ballard's work. I think his short fiction is really good. There's a collection of short stories out there called "The Very Best of JG Ballard". Lots of dystopian future stuff (ie. the world is entirely enclosed in a building, but a boy invents wings and wants to test them. But airspace is limited and costs money, so he needs to find a way to buy cubic feet of air to test his flying machine, etc.)

My favorite story is called EndGame. About a prisoner and his executioner living in a remote, desert house, playing chess. The executioner knows the date, time and method he has been ordered to kill the prisoner, but cannot tell him. The prisoner's hope is that if they keep a game of chess on-going, the execution may never come.

Unfortunate that Ballard passed away recently, but he left a large body of work to explore.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #535 on: April 13, 2012, 07:50:36 AM »
"The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer. http://www.michaelshermer.com/the-believing-brain/ I started it a while back and am finally getting around to finishing it. About 1/3 of it is detailed scientific experiments (booooring but necessary). Another 1/3 of it is all about Michael ("Hey, look at me, I'm Michael Shermer and I'm so cool." No, you're actually a d@#bag). The remaining 1/3rd definitely makes the book worth reading. Best book I've read in a long time. Great premise. World-view changing. I highly recommend it.

I don't recommend this book b/c I like the guy (I really dislike him), but he has some very good things to say concerning what neuroscientists are learning about why we believe what we believe.

Really good book.

It's also incredibly frustrating. Shermer is so un-selfaware and TYPE 3-ish (Enneagram). Constantly blabbering on about his achievements. The worst part is that even though his thesis is "belief-dependent realism" (amazing thesis), he's totally unaware to the ways in which this affects his on life. While he endorses what neuroscience has to tell us about spirituality, he dismisses what it has to say about politics. He even dips into cliches when talking about politics for which he deserves a beat down.

Michael readily agrees to what so many neuroscientists have to say about religion but dismisses their "liberal bias" all to prove the point in his book: "No one is immune from belief-dependent realism". Well, even if he's too obtuse to realize his own errors you have to admit that his thesis is rock-solid. Even if he doesn't take his own advice (i.e. "follow what science says and nothing else") can't blame him for being an average bipedal primate.

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline judy2012

• Newgookin
« Reply #536 on: April 13, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »
I'm reading an interesting book called "Outliers" at the mo. I forget the author but its fascinating. it looks at anomalies in data (research) and then takes a closer look to see why they crop up. Usually ther is a story behind why and we discover that the anomaly is the result of some confluence of events rather than a fluke or miracle  or that the person is a genius.... it is very rare (and statistically it should be) for it to be 'miraculous' but when it is- thats a true outlier. Fascinating.

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #537 on: April 13, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
I'm reading an interesting book called "Outliers" at the mo. I forget the author but its fascinating. it looks at anomalies in data (research) and then takes a closer look to see why they crop up. Usually ther is a story behind why and we discover that the anomaly is the result of some confluence of events rather than a fluke or miracle  or that the person is a genius.... it is very rare (and statistically it should be) for it to be 'miraculous' but when it is- thats a true outlier. Fascinating.

Malcolm Gladwell, I think.  I read a chunk of it on the flight from LAX to Incheon, and it was really interesting.  If you like Outliers, definitely check out another one of his, The Tipping Point.  Gladwell does a great job of bringing at times rather academic sociological and anthropological theory and experimentation into very real situations.  Also quite good at pitching a big idea, as in Outlier and Tipping Point.

Offline mpark28

• Adventurer
« Reply #538 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »
Just began reading Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West by Blaine Harden. This book was just released in March and is about Shin Dong-Hyuk, the only known North Korean to have been born inside a gulag and escaped.  Has received very good reviews. 

i was just about to post about this book. it is absolutely gripping. a must read!

I read during the week in two very quick sittings. Fascinating and engrossing, highly recommended!
Currently nearly finished slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut, a weird one but a good one.

Offline loswillyams

• Super Waygook
« Reply #539 on: April 20, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »
If you're a fan of poetry, check out Li-Young Lee's "Behind My Eyes" and Brian S Ellis' "Yesterday Won't Goodbye" - both are available for e-books.