February 16, 2019, 09:41:41 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282528 times)

Offline dalpengee

• Waygookin
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #460 on: October 04, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
I've been needing a good list of reads. This will help me plenty. thanks.

And i'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife. ;D

Offline cherylblossom

• Adventurer
« Reply #461 on: October 05, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »
I'm reading The girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.
 I really enjoyed The girl with the Dragon Tattoo so I'll be reading all of them before all the movies come out.

Offline Sprite06

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • Waygook Turtle
« Reply #462 on: October 05, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »
Avid readers,
Are you ordering books online?  Reading them on your Kindle?  Buying them at a nearby book store?

What's the best method for acquiring books in Korea?  Specifically, Daegu.

I was thinking about ordering a Kindle.  Shipping / import fees / etc. are annoying though.

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #463 on: October 05, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
Avid readers,
Are you ordering books online?  Reading them on your Kindle?  Buying them at a nearby book store?

What's the best method for acquiring books in Korea?  Specifically, Daegu.

I was thinking about ordering a Kindle.  Shipping / import fees / etc. are annoying though.

Take all my read books that aren't keepers (reserved for 5 gold stars on my ratin system) to whathebook in itaewon and get store credit and buy more used books.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Then when store credit is gone and I have read / traded all my books buy some new ones, usually used as let's face it, non of us have read all the books that were pubished previous to 2012 yet ha ha.  Then trade them in again etc.  Haven't paid actual cash for a book in months.

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
« Reply #464 on: October 05, 2011, 01:59:18 PM »

Absolutely worth it. If you order from Amazon, you'll have it within days (I ordered mine on a Friday, it came on a Monday.) The prices have never been lower and you can easily take 1000s of books with you wherever you go.

Offline jp457

• Explorer
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2011, 11:17:48 PM »
Just started Simon Winchester's book Korea. Not sure if I like his style, but reserving judgement until I've read a bit more.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #466 on: October 06, 2011, 07:24:54 AM »
Just started Simon Winchester's book Korea. Not sure if I like his style, but reserving judgement until I've read a bit more.

I liked that book.  Especially the part where in front of tv cameras, he speaks in Korean and they all start laughing and mocking him.  He then goes on a rant about it ha ha.  Some things haven't changed...

Offline Kerro

• Explorer
« Reply #467 on: October 09, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
This is a great thread.  I'll be coming back here next time I find my nightstand empty.

Currently reading "Iron Council" by China Miéville.  Although if anyone is interested in reading his work I would recommend starting with either "The Scar" or "Perdido Street Station."  All three book take place in the same universe, but can be read independently.

Oh, and as for genre, his work could be described as weird fiction/fantasy.  It's great stuff whatever it is.

Offline theotherside

• Newgookin
« Reply #468 on: October 09, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but Gary Shytengart's Super Sad True Love Story is great. It's especially interesting, since one of the protagonists is Korean being here, it seems to resonate that much more.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #469 on: October 09, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
I have been working my way through Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. As an added bonus, it was cheaper to obtain from what-the-book than it was to buy it in Canada :)

I neglected getting a Kindle, though :(
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline lemon84

• Explorer
« Reply #470 on: October 10, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
I have just finished reading Harry potter series. lol

Ochodnid

« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »
The Communist manifesto, this EPIK training was pointless and boring.

Offline tonyturner1988

• Explorer
« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »
Just started The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson.
Tempted to pick up On The Road again as well, seems to be in the spirit of things...

Offline andrucer

• Veteran
« Reply #473 on: January 17, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
Just finished reading "Before I go to sleep" by S.J. Watson.

Definitely worth reading.

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #474 on: January 20, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »
I'm listening to ULTRA METABOLISM and DETOX DIETS FOR DUMMIES.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

Offline mountaingoat

• Adventurer
« Reply #475 on: January 26, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »
Read We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver while on holiday. It was disturbing but wonderfully written. I highly recommend it. Also, Norwegian Wood was a hard one to put down. But maybe that's because I was in Japan while reading it.

Online denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #476 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
I'm reading "Jamaica Inn" by Daphne DuMaurier.  She also wrote the classic "Rebecca" which was made into a movie by Alfred Hitchcock.  It's kind of dark in a Wuthering Heights kind of way.

To above poster, I read We Need to Talk about Kevin.  It was a very thought-provoking book. 

Since I'm deskwarming, I do a mix of websurfing and reading.

Offline TheKidDoog

• Explorer
« Reply #477 on: January 28, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »

Still slogging through A Dance With Dragons. It really is hugely disappointing but still very good in places and the best fantasy writing I have ever read (the small amount I have read).

I'm about half way through that book myself but I'm definitely enjoying it.  True, there are some chapters focussing on characters you really don't care all that much about and there seems to be a lot of time spent wishing the story would get back to some of the more interesting story threads, but overall I think it is a pretty compelling read.

A lot of people I know that have read he series were so put off the 4th book that they kind of lost steam, but I didn't think it was THAT horrible, though definitely the worst of the series thus far.

The main thing that annoys me about Martin's writing however, is the repetitiveness.  I don't find it adds anything to the story when you're reading for the 50th time almost the exact same sentence that the one character keeps repeating over and over again.  Hard to explain without any spoilers, but if you're that far into the series you must know what I mean.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #478 on: January 28, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
At the end of 'The Echo Maker' by Richard Powers.

Centered on the lives of a Capgras sufferer in Nebraska and his Sister and the world renowned populiser of Neuroscience who investigates his case.

If you're fascinated by the world of the mind and how the self is constructed and you love scientific facts and detail, this is definately a must.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #479 on: January 28, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »

Still slogging through A Dance With Dragons. It really is hugely disappointing but still very good in places and the best fantasy writing I have ever read (the small amount I have read).

I'm about half way through that book myself but I'm definitely enjoying it.  True, there are some chapters focussing on characters you really don't care all that much about and there seems to be a lot of time spent wishing the story would get back to some of the more interesting story threads, but overall I think it is a pretty compelling read.

A lot of people I know that have read he series were so put off the 4th book that they kind of lost steam, but I didn't think it was THAT horrible, though definitely the worst of the series thus far.

The main thing that annoys me about Martin's writing however, is the repetitiveness.  I don't find it adds anything to the story when you're reading for the 50th time almost the exact same sentence that the one character keeps repeating over and over again.  Hard to explain without any spoilers, but if you're that far into the series you must know what I mean.
I have to admit some of the short chapters through the middle stages have me hooked. At the moment I'm stuck on a chapter about those people (I don't even know who they are) whose main guy was killed by Gregor Clegayne about a book and a half ago. They finally got his skull but now they are talking about invading Westeros or some such, yawn.I'm thinking about skipping that chapter.

Storm Of Swords is definitely my favorite in the series and the most action packed. I quite like some of the repetitive parts. I'm endlessly fascinated by the descriptions of the various feasts. I can't think of any examples of repeated phrases off hand. Probably a problem with my reading comprehension more than anything.

You know nothing, Rusty Shackleford.

(Not a jab in case you don't catch the reference :3)
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.