February 16, 2019, 09:05:03 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282509 times)

Offline scoriae

• Explorer
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #400 on: September 15, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
Re-reading the Harry Potter series.  Im finding myself with a lot of time due to the deskwarming :D

Offline kpzandee

• Explorer
« Reply #401 on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »
Franny and Zooey

Nature and Selected Essays

and...

Dirty Korean :)

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
Dune (Frank Herbert)

Passion and Purity (Elisabeth Elliot)

Innocents Abroad (Mark Twain)

Kinda varied, I know... :P  It's so nice to be able to enjoy reading again, and have the time to do so!

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
Digital Field Guide for the Canon 550D. Love it, my camera and my wife, not in that order of course...   ;D ;D ;D
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #404 on: September 18, 2011, 10:15:39 AM »
Just finished 'The Black Tower' by Louis Bayard.  A good quasi historical mystery novel with some brilliant settings and a fantastic bawdy, larger than life main character, the wine loving 'Vidoq!'  I will read his 'The Pale Eye' soon.

I've come somewhat out of a serious lit phase and so I really enjoyed that book, it was so much fun.

I really liked 'The Ring' novels and Japanese mystery novels.  I finished another a few months ago about a divorced tv producer in Tokyo who starts meeting a young version of his parents both of whom died many years before and starts hanging out with them.  Some of those Japanese writers are masters and building subtle atmosphere and suspense.  I recently re-read Banana Yoshimoto's 'Kitchen' which is a perfect novella and still her best work. Also re-read Murakami's 'South of the Border, West of the Sun.'  I kind of have always wished I'd spent time teaching in Japan and loved my vacation time in Tokyo and Osaka, but wussed out of living there because you can't save much there and started feeling too old to go relocating again.  So these books give me a taste of Japan as compensation.

Last year went through nearly everything Phillip Roth ever wrote but ultimately got bored of the 'I'm a woman obsessed neurotic Jew' shtick.  Tore through almost all of Kundera's books too, my favorite of which is probably "ignorance' (what a title ha ha.) 

One of the best collection of stories I have ever read was Italo Calvino's 'Cosmicomics' and anyone interested in Astrophysics and literature must read it.  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmicomics

Last month on the non-fiction front I also read 'What is America' and 'The Great Wave; gilded age misfits and Japanese eccentrics.'  About the opening of Japan and the adventurous East coast americans whom were dissolusioned with America and went East and the adventurous japanese that went west.  Great book.  You can see I wish I lived in Japan lol.  I also kind of wish I'd had the guts to go live in America for a year, travelling around the southern states.

Offline Nads222

• Explorer
« Reply #405 on: September 18, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »
Bookstores in Seoul seem to stock a lot of Chuck Palahniuk, my favourite author. Be sure to check out whatthebook.com for easy online orders of used and new books, delivered to your home.

Offline brianv

• Explorer
« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »
"The Surrendered" by Chang Rae Lee

"Lies and the Lying Liers Who Tell Them" by Al Franken

Offline carolinafairfina

• Explorer
« Reply #407 on: September 19, 2011, 08:18:26 AM »
I started the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Been reading them in about 3 days!!! SO good. Easy reads, nothing deep...

Offline JF512

• Waygookin
« Reply #408 on: September 19, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »
I am currently reading House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski. Or at least, I'm attempting to.

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #409 on: September 19, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
Currently reading Shantaram. Great book written by an Aussie, Gregory David Roberts. Awesome, true story of his life. Pretty amazing book especially if you have been to India before

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #410 on: September 19, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
Currently reading Shantaram. Great book written by an Aussie, Gregory David Roberts. Awesome, true story of his life. Pretty amazing book especially if you have been to India before

I read this recently because my Aussie girlfriend gave it to me. She actually met Roberts in Leopold's bar in Bombay not long after she finished it. He was off to meet Jonny Depp the following day to see about making the book into a movie but in the end it fell through.

You should know that it is definitely not the true story of his life though. It's a heavily fictionalised account for which he drew on his own experiences. Still great but it's far from autobiographical.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline SpaceRook

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #411 on: September 19, 2011, 11:34:57 AM »
Currently reading "Wicked".  I like it a lot.  It presents a much grittier version of Oz. 

Offline GreenFloyd

• Veteran
« Reply #412 on: September 19, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It was great! Easy breezy read, but had some important things to say about how to live your life. Touching story. I really recommend it!

Now I'm on The Great Gatsby before heading off to finally read A Dance With Dragons (George R.R. Martin).

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #413 on: September 19, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
Currently reading Shantaram. You should know that it is definitely not the true story of his life though. It's a heavily fictionalised account for which he drew on his own experiences. Still great but it's far from autobiographical.

Thanks for the heads up. I am in a few hundred pages tight now and could kind of tell some parts must of been fictionalized.  But either way the man is an amazing descriptive writer and keeps you wanting to know what is going to happen next.  Keep forcing myself to put the book down, I can already tell it will be one of those books I will not want to ever be finished with!

Even if tons of it has been fictionalized, Roberts would still be a fascinating person to sit down with and hear some of the crazy stuff you know he has experienced! 

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #414 on: September 19, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
My friend was out in Itaewon sat night and was carrying around a copy of Don Delillo's 'Underworld' he'd just bought from whatthebook.

Almost every English teacher he met that night said to hm 'wow man, that's cool, I love vampires, is it bsed on the show or what?

I have to lol.

Offline riana

• Explorer
« Reply #415 on: September 19, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
hey guys, im new to everything, where can i find a good bookstore, with english books?im located near bupyeoung

Offline riana

• Explorer
« Reply #416 on: September 19, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
Into the wild!

Harpeau

« Reply #417 on: September 19, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
What You Can Change... and What You Can't, by Martin Seligman

Offline Simulacra

• Explorer
« Reply #418 on: September 19, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »
Just started Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass again.  Also the collected works of Edgar Allen Poe.  Maybe a little grim, but sometimes you gotta go with the season.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #419 on: September 19, 2011, 10:57:43 PM »
Currently reading Shantaram. You should know that it is definitely not the true story of his life though. It's a heavily fictionalised account for which he drew on his own experiences. Still great but it's far from autobiographical.

Thanks for the heads up. I am in a few hundred pages tight now and could kind of tell some parts must of been fictionalized.  But either way the man is an amazing descriptive writer and keeps you wanting to know what is going to happen next.  Keep forcing myself to put the book down, I can already tell it will be one of those books I will not want to ever be finished with!

Even if tons of it has been fictionalized, Roberts would still be a fascinating person to sit down with and hear some of the crazy stuff you know he has experienced!

For sure! He probably gets questioned on it all the time. I'm guessing you've seen the picture on the sleeve and have seen that he'd be quite easy to spot anywhere. I'd love a chat with him too but I'd be afraid of just coming across as a groupie. I hope you enjoy the book!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.