February 16, 2019, 08:48:38 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282496 times)

Offline hol87

• Explorer
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #360 on: September 07, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
A Song of Ice and Fire question -

I read the first 2 books of the Song of Ice and Fire series and really enjoyed them.  (Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings).  However I heard that the newest book basically doesn't move the plot forward at all.  I also know G RR Martin has had a knack for writing one book every 5-7 years. 

Has anyone finished the series up until A Dance with Dragons?  Is it worth it for me to read 3-5?  Or is it just a disappointment?

I haven't read the newest one, but I've read all the others. I've heard the same thing about the new one. However, I don't really feel like any of the books move super fast, because there are just too many different characters to follow and so many different plot lines. With that said, I really loved all the books. The characters are some of the most interesting ones I've read about, because they are never easy to figure out. It has taken a while for him to write the books, but the only really fast author I know is Stephanie Meyer, and look what being a fast writer gets you... crappy books.

I think it's worth it to read the others, even if the next book is not so good. Because overall, the story is pretty awesome. And if you liked Game of Thrones you should give the Wheel of Time a go. That is widely considered one of the best fantasy epics every written. It's a huge series and its long, but its very nearly finished and totally worth it.

Offline Leahn_6

• Waygookin
« Reply #361 on: September 07, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
I'm currently reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks." I'm about half way through, and so far, it's been very good.  It makes you think twice about scientific research, and experiments.  I just got to Korea, so I was very limited in bringing enough books to read.  Luckily I bought a nook color before I left, and download hundreds of books.  So I'll have enough to read through for the year, hopefully.  Does anyone know where I can get English books/novels, in Busan?  If they have any at the library? Or is my only option is to purchase? 

Offline danielswong

• Newgookin
« Reply #362 on: September 07, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
Hey, I am reading "The Hunger Games" series for the second time! :) If you have not read it, I would recommend it to anyone. It is a young adult book so it is a lower level but very interesting!  2945abc45 0907

Other young adults books worth adult's attention.... anything by Rick Riordan or Brandon Mull.

Happy Reading!

By the way, if you have not been to What the Book? in Itaewon yet, you should go!

Offline hooplahhhhh

• Waygookin
« Reply #363 on: September 08, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »
Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

Offline Red_Army

• Explorer
« Reply #364 on: September 08, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
Just started started the Game of thrones Series.
For those desk warming and what not, this website has the first book to read online:
http://readbookonlinefree.blogspot.com/2011/04/eejh4ghr.html
Got me through 6 hours of sitting on my arse yesterday.

Offline cornucrapia

• Waygookin
« Reply #365 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »
I'm reading "Children of the mind" by Orson Scott Card. It's the fourth book in the series that started with "Ender's game". None of the following books have been as good as the first, but it set the bar really high. They're still quite enjoyable reads. The subject is basically encountering alien races and trying to figure out if humans can live with them or if they will inevitably fight. The aliens are all extremely different, which I like, it's not just people with a weird cultural quirk and pointy ears. One race, for example is basically super intelligent ants, a hive queen controls all the workers telepathically.

Offline joyous84

• Explorer
« Reply #366 on: September 08, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »
I've just read a couple of great books by Ken Follett
Pillars of the Earth (novel about the building of a cathedral back in the 1100s, also a TV miniseries which was fun to watch after)
Fall of Giants (novel set over the first world war era, spanning countries and decades, awesome characters, it's the beginning of a trilogy so very addictive!)

I highly recommend him as an author, he writes great fiction ;D

Offline raven kat

• Waygookin
« Reply #367 on: September 08, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »
i just started The Hobbit. I've ben told too many times that i'm missing out by not having read it. i'm also in the middle of Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon-Kabat Zinn

Offline HiLite

• Explorer
« Reply #368 on: September 08, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
i finally have time to read books now that im not forced to read textbooks!
right now, im catching up on dan brown, reading the lost symbol..

Offline HiLite

• Explorer
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2011, 12:13:22 PM »
i finally have time to read books now that im not forced to read textbooks!
right now, im catching up on dan brown, reading the lost symbol..

Offline pyoon8709

• Adventurer
« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
I finished "World War Z". I'm currently looking to read Max Brooks' first book, "The Zombie Survival Guide".

But, I was surprised by World War Z! It's not mindless zombie action, but it takes a good look at how today's modern world would react to the zombie apocalypse.

Offline noel teacher

• Explorer
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2011, 01:48:57 PM »
I'm reading Eye of The World from The Wheel of Time series!! And so far it's good.

Next will be the Game of Thrones! Can't wait :)

Offline danielswong

• Newgookin
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
Hey, I am reading "The Hunger Games" series for the second time! :) If you have not read it, I would recommend it to anyone. It is a young adult book so it is a lower level but very interesting!

Other young adults books worth adult's attention.... anything by Rick Riordan or Brandon Mull.

Happy Reading!

By the way, if you have not been to What the Book? in Itaewon yet, you should go!

Offline nessalinds

• Waygookin
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
I just read Why Men love Bitches by Sherry Argrov.  My friend really liked it so I decided to give it a chance.  I actually really liked it.  It's a little repetitive, but it's not really saying that women should be bitches, only that they should hold their own, not be a doormat, and not put up with crap in order for men not to loose interest!  For some girls this is common sense, while for others, ever so useful in maintaining a good relationship.

Offline scimminni

• Explorer
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2011, 04:37:32 PM »
I'm reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer- looking into the meat industry- weaves his own story into his research tho which makes it a nice read.

Offline ddrewry

• Explorer
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2011, 04:51:55 PM »
michael mcintyres auto biography

Offline benzilla

• Explorer
« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2011, 05:51:22 PM »
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max... A hilarious collection of one man's drunken adventures. Good for a laugh!

Offline cozychul

• Waygookin
« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »
Just finished 1984 by George Orwell and more recently, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (Won a Pulitzer).  Recommend them both.

Offline Chemicalsun

• Waygookin
« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
A game of thrones by Something RR Martin. Pretty cool book!

Offline elucas

• Explorer
« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »
i've been reading dexter....very slowly. korea's too exciting right now to stop and read. i'm reading the first book, so it's like watching reruns of first season. anyone else super excited about the new season? after i learn more korean, i want to read manga in korean. any recommendations?