February 16, 2019, 09:04:53 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282508 times)

Offline makeshiftb0y

• Veteran
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:48 AM »
In addition to my previous recommendation, I would say Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. That and Infinite Jest are probably my favorites.

Oh, and since someone mentioned some Dave Eggers, I thought You Shall Know Our Velocity! was great too. A couple more of my favorites are I am Legend (the movie sucks, book is great) and The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Offline grandfromage

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
Your Republic is Calling You by Kim Young-Ha and two Civil War books: Battle Cry of Freedom and The Killer Angels, which is one of my favorite books.

I'm supposed to be a librarian, so I'm always reading a ton of books at once.^^

I majored in history, so I got used to reading eight books at the same time.  I cut that out a bit but I'm usually working on a novel, an audiobook, and one or two non-fictions at any given time.

Are you liking Your Republic is Calling You?  One of my friends recommended it, I haven't gotten a copy yet.

Offline gmosborn

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »
http://www.whatthebook.com/index.html  they even deliver for free!!!

siamagoo

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »
I'm working on the Harry Potter series. If you haven't heard of it yet, it's about a boy wizard. I wouldn't recommend it. Basically the author puts up a bunch of weak challenges but then has everyone help the main character and he magically (literally and figuratively) comes through in the end.

Earlier this month I read "Your Republic is Calling You" by Korean author Young-ha Kim. It's not fantastic, but it's a quick read, very fun, and offers some insight into North and South Korean life.

If you're a big book fan, and you haven't looked into reading electronically, please do. I love traveling around with all my books in my pocket. I also love the free books - I read Anna Karenina last month at no cost to myself (besides all the time it took, but that is more than made up for by the smug feeling I have now that I read a great Russian classic in my free time for fun. Yes, I am better than all of you {<-- sarcasm})  .

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (loving it!)

and a new psychology book that looks to replace the unscientific term "evil" as the cause for human cruelty with "a lack of empathy" being the root cause. It's called "Zero Degrees of Empathy: A New Theory of Human Cruelty" and it's by Simon Baron-Cohen. It's changing the way I think about people and their motives for cruelty.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:08:25 AM by flasyb »
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline English Mike

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »
coupl eof people mentioned Shantaram... amazing book.

I just finished reading World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of ther Earth by Ken Follett.
Was pretty decent, although not as good as the first one.

Still half way through Count of Monte Cristo... cant get back into it.

Offline Meekat

• Waygookin
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 10:16:52 AM »
I go to that big Kyobo store in downtown Daegu and just choose any book that strikes my fancy. So recently, I zipped through the Stieg Larsson series and struggled through Murakami's Wind-up bird chronicles. :P

Offline charliepacific27

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »
Right now I'm reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. When I'm done with that I'm going to continue with the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series that I'm hooked on.

I've been taking advantage of Amazon.com's free classic books for Kindle a bit...Siddhartha was free. I like free!

Offline matieu

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
@flasyb. How is the 'zero degrees of empathy' book? I was actually reading up on that a few days ago and was considering ordering it? Where did you get it from, last time I checked whatthebook it wasn't avaliable, I think because it was only published very recently.

Offline nzaslow

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »
I'm working on the Harry Potter series. If you haven't heard of it yet, it's about a boy wizard. I wouldn't recommend it. Basically the author puts up a bunch of weak challenges but then has everyone help the main character and he magically (literally and figuratively) comes through in the end.

:laugh: That's a joke, right?!

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
@flasyb. How is the 'zero degrees of empathy' book? I was actually reading up on that a few days ago and was considering ordering it? Where did you get it from, last time I checked whatthebook it wasn't avaliable, I think because it was only published very recently.

It's actually quite short but it poses some extremely interesting questions about how we view people who commit cruel acts. In parts it is quite, not sure how to say it, "medical" (?) it refers to parts of the brain involved in a proposed "empathy circuit" and since I have no medical education I glossed over those parts. The implications of the science are what interest me and I trust the scientific method although if you want to check up, Baron-Cohen includes hundreds of references at the back.

It's changing the way I view people's actions though so I think it's an important book for me.

Just for interest's sake, there's a forty question EQ (empathy quotient) quiz at the back so you can work yours out. Did you read the Guardian review? A good start. I bought it from either Amazon or thebookdepository.co.uk

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline perangtang

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »
I also like to get books from Kyobo bookstore--no used books though and the prices are what you'd pay for a book back "home."

Just finished David Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and totally related to his account of living in a foreign country trying to learn its language :)

In the middle of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers.

Offline jauntwithjo

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »

:laugh: That's a joke, right?!
I actually agree with Siamagoo. HP's a good young reader book, but it's not too intricate (aside from the whole world-building thing) in terms of human relationships and protagonist development.

I've been rereading all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. They're a must-read if you like humor, magic, and parodies of our world.

Also, my CT recently bought all of Roald Dahl's books for my afterschool class, so I've been rereading my favorite childhood novels too. I ended up really liking his autobiographies too! 
Before you create a thread, remember waygook.org has a search engine! Please help keep the redundancy down. Do a little research of your own before making a thread in case the information is already available.

Offline kiekie87

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 11:15:11 AM »
Eat pray Love.

I am enjoying it even though i don't relate to the main character. I really like reading about the author's travels and experiences :) When i'm having a bad day, its refreshing to read.

I don't think I am going to watch the movie though, I've heard its awful.
All ideas grow out of other ideas.
Anish Kapoor

Offline hi_teachuh!

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
I just changed schools, so I have a lot of down time now. I've decided to focus my downtime on classics. I'm reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Next, Treasure Island.  ;D

Offline last.chapter

• Adventurer
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
I'm going through the HP series as well. One of the teachers in the office felt bad for me since I deskwarm all day so she brought in 5 of the books. Just started book 3 today. I'll probably watch the movies again once I'm done with the series  :D

Offline lion11

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
Atlas Shrugged is awesome.  I finished that a couple of months ago.  Almost finished with The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky.  I'm thinking about reading a David Sedaris book next.

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »
My school has all the Harry Potter books, so I started reading them and they're pretty good.

Offline QTEE

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
I have just received the latest Bryce Courtney book from home and am gonna start reading this weekend
I order my books from what the book they have free delivery and are reasonably quick in sending
them out
www.whatthebook.com

Offline lion11

• Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 11:48:27 AM »
Atlas Shrugged is awesome.  I finished that a couple of months ago.  Almost finished with The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky.  I'm thinking about reading a David Sedaris book next.

I like it, but it is kind of boring as a novel and preaching to the choir anyway. I will finish it at some point but there are way more exciting non-fiction books on the same topic. Yes, I find books about economics exciting.

She's long winded to say the least.  Some of those monologues just kill me, but her characters and outlook is what brings me back.