February 16, 2019, 09:13:51 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282514 times)

Offline chingu

• Waygookin
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »
Some of these sound great, we should get a book sharing sticky post, all of mine I've read just sit around on the shelf unused.

I am in a nonfiction kick recently, I just ordered this book called Beyond Boundaries (http://www.whatthebook.com/book/9780805090529) and am mentally salivating waiting for its arrival.

Offline bebuggery

• Adventurer
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »
If you're looking for a good old sci-fi mindf**k, "Permutation City" by Greg Egan has got to be the best I've read in years. I highly recommend anything else by the author (especially Diaspora and Schild's Ladder), although his writing gets a bit technical sometimes, so don't bother if you can't handle a little math!  ;D

Offline Waygooker

• Adventurer
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »
Three books I recommend:
1)  "North Korea Kidnapped My Daughter" written by the mother of a Japanese middle school girl abducted by the North Korean government, one of a number of people kidnapped in Japan and South Korea to teach North Korean spies. It will teach you a lot about North Korea's thinking.
2)    "Culture Shift" by R. Albert Mohler about political correctness run amok and the slack standards in America these days (ie in 2001 94% of Harvard graduates graduated with honors). It's about the wussification of America written from a Christian perspective.
3)   "First They Killed My Father," written by Loung Ung is a can't-put-it-down book about living under the Khmer Rouge during the Killing Fields days. Ung was a child at the time whose large family was split up and mostly killed off. If you have been to Cambodia, I highly recommend this book.

Offline jak338

• Waygookin
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:15 AM »
Finished the Hunger Games trilogy (highly recommend it). 

However, the 6th book of the Temeraire series, Victory of Eagles by Noami Novik is collecting dust on my bookshelf... I think the series has gone on long enough... ^^;;;

Offline lauraeff5

• Adventurer
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2011, 08:33:43 AM »
Read "Nothing to Envy."  Follows the lives of North Koreans.  Amazing book.

Offline NicknameHaHA

• Adventurer
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »
Thanks for these ideas! I love how you can find many of the classics online, like Life's Little Ironies at http://www.online-literature.com/hardy/lifes-little-ironies/. I think that shall help as I build up my collection here. I mostly just brought my Korean books in my luggage. I read Thomas Malory on the way over here, and I enjoyed that dose of the 15th century. I had intended to bring some of my early modern travel literature, but my luggage was too heavy already.  :(

I look forward to more reading suggestions, as I feel a little starved for a good read.

Thanks, all!

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
A Game of Thrones. Trying to finish before I start watching the TV series which has just started.

Amazing fantasy series!!! I wish the author would hurry up and get the next parts out. It's been about two years now since the last book was published. I just watched the first episode of the show last night too, not bad.

Another fantastic book I read recently : The Zombie Survival Guide. Really entertaining and amusing. I would recommend it to anyone who is into humour and/or zombies!

Offline Asiablue

• Waygookin
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
I'm into a short, but intense book on Roman history by Michael Grant.

Offline Kris Kringle

• Explorer
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »
The Sound and the Fury.  My second time through - this time I can actually make sense of it

portlandzach

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »
Just read "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth. Not his best work...but he always delivers a powerful novel. Always very intimidating for an inspiring novelist...I highly recomend reading Roth if you have not.....

Offline luanam

• Adventurer
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
I just started reading "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer- food politics meets philosophy meets humour... it's great so far

I am also reading "The Jade Peony" by Wayson Choi ... I love my Canadiana!

Offline pyeager

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Veteran
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »
I just read "Brother One Cell," by an English teacher who got 3 years for mailing himself hash. The book's not too bad, but the guy really isn't much of an author. He comes off as kind of a smart aleck and it's pretty hard to empathize. Overall, about the product you might expect from someone foolish enough to smuggle large amounts of drugs into a foreign country. I guess it's a better idea than doing it in your home country...only a criminal record in Korea, but still for spending so much time in prison, you would think he would have more insight into the culture. Annoying and pompous, he refuses to use an established Romanization system. Not highly recommended.

Offline cindyboobindy

• Waygookin
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
I usually read a few books at a time because my mood always changes on what I want to read. The books I'm currently reading are Jay Z's Decoded (you'll love it if you're a fan), Mockingjay (the 3rd book in the Hunger Games), and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (it's slow at first but it's getting better now that I'm half way through it).

Offline sergio

• Newgookin
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

Offline gyopo

• Adventurer
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »
Dinner with a Perfect Stranger - David Gregory

Eli by Bill Myers.

I also like the Joshua series by Joseph Girzone

Offline snugglezone

• Adventurer
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Murakami Haruki

Offline bonsaitreehugger

• Waygookin
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2011, 08:04:05 AM »
I'll be the third to mention Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.  The thing took me 2 months of daily, dedicated reading; finishing it is one of my proudest accomplishments!  But I have no doubt I'll read it again someday.  Nothing like it.  His nonfiction and short stories are also quality.

Philip Roth (American Pastoral--wow), Jorge Luis Borges, Alice Munro, Jonathan Franzen, and Annie Dillard are favorites too.

Offline Waygooker

• Adventurer
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
Animal Farm by George Orwell. A real classic.

Offline monmonchan86

• Waygookin
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
The Crying Tree - Naseem Rakha

Offline mintygreen

• Adventurer
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
I'm working on a couple right now:

American Gods- Neil Geiman (not a big Geiman fan, but I'll read whatever's around)
Things I like about America- Poe Ballantine (bunch of short stories, not what I expected from the title)
Walden- Henry David Thoreau (Have to get my classics in there)
Le mystere des dieux- Bernard Werber (to keep up my french)

Some of the best books I've read since I've been here and highly recommend:

Zen and the art of motorcycle Maintenance- Robert Pirsig
The one straw revolution- Masanobu Fukuoka
Man's search for meaning- Viktor Frankl
The Golden Spruce- John Valliant
Into the Wild- Jon Krakauer

(I realize that all these books are non-fiction which I never used to read before I came to Korea, but now I can't get enough)