February 16, 2019, 10:12:31 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282558 times)

Offline NYoung

• Waygookin
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
I am reading three things at the moment. My tefl course booklet...studying isn't as fun as i remember. Then I'm reading two Terry Pratchett book. 'Witches abroad' and 'Thief of time'

Offline e72882

• Veteran
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
I am mostly reading stuff that I've previously read:

The Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony
The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony
Magic Kingdom for Sale, Sold! series by Terry Brooks
Miscellaneous Xanth novels by Piers Anthony

I love all of these books and even though I've read them at least 5 times each I still enjoy reading these books as I usually read them and then put them back on the shelf and wait a year to read them again that way I've forgotten most of what the books about and they feel as fresh as the first time I read them.

I had them all shipped over here from back home so I could have something to do besides playing video games and watching tv all the time.

Ochodnid

« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »
I am reading a few books right now. For FREE classic books for Kindle, iPad, Smart phone, computer, etc. go to http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

1) Holes - For my English Teachers' class.

2) The Time Machine - A Classic and it's free.

3) Der Vorleser (The Reader) - I need to keep up on my German.

Offline sashman02

• Explorer
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
Currently reading Hitchhikers Guide  ;D
I have a co-teacher who wants to teach Hitchhikers to 1st grade high-schoolers. I think the vocabulary, structure and maybe even the sarcastic tone of the book will be too much for them to understand. As someone who has read it recently, what's your opinion?

Offline DejaVu

• Super Waygook
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »
Aldous Huxley - Point Counter Point

Offline wong812

• Adventurer
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »
Currently reading Hitchhikers Guide  ;D
I have a co-teacher who wants to teach Hitchhikers to 1st grade high-schoolers. I think the vocabulary, structure and maybe even the sarcastic tone of the book will be too much for them to understand. As someone who has read it recently, what's your opinion?

There is quite a lot of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll in there. That should keep them happy. Show them the movie. There's a lesson plan on the interweb somewhere, 8)

Offline miwon

• Waygookin
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2011, 02:06:38 PM »
Great thread and great ideas!!

I just started "One Hundred Years of Solitude" and so far it's quite interesting. I stumbled across *ahem* a large grouping of books for my Kindle, so I'm working on catching up on a lot of the classics.

I absolutely loved "One Hundred Years of Solitude"!!! And I'm loving this thread! Busy with the last Stig Larson book, 'Catcher in the Rye' is next in line...

Offline kingme36

• Waygookin
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
I came over here at the beginning of March and finished Hell's Angels (HST) and House of Sand and Fog (Andre Dubus III).  I thought the former was classic Thompson before he got into the Gonzo style-  more of the journalist in him, albeit a depraved, pill swallowing one who observes that which isn't so unfamiliar to him at all.
House of Sand and Fog was a cold tailed novel written from two aspects: one a former coke head who doesn't know it but is about to be evicted.  The other is a former colonel in the Iranian Air Force who was forced to flee after the overthrow of the Shaw.  Set in San Fran.  I thought every page was a treasure.  Definitely looking to check out more by him.
I have This Side of Paradise (F. Scott Fitz), Beloved (Toni Morrison), and The Enchantress of Florence (Rushdie) to look forward to, but I am saving them and reading the Twin Towers and Return of the King in the meantime so I can span out my reading.  I don't have much access to good English books down here in Gi Jang.  I don't want to, but I may be forced to read the HP series.  I was last year and went through the Twilight set- felt like a teenager in love all over again.
Cheers to you waygookers- love you all

Offline lasoro70

• Veteran
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »
My friend just sent me a copy of "Tokyo Vice" which I've been reading over the last week. Pretty interesting book so far. I've been to Japan a couple times so it's an interesting look into the underworld of Japan.

http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Vice-American-Reporter-Police/dp/0307378799

Offline datrujil

• Explorer
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
I am reading "Tuesdays With Morrie".  It is an amazing book that teaches you what really matters in life.  I cried while reading it on the subway, and at my desk.  It is touching and motivational!

Offline dittypops

• Explorer
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
I just started reading Spud.  An amazing book about life in a private boarding school in South Africa... It's a real laugh!!! I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs to relieve some school tension.  And also, if you teach Middle School you could definitely use some of the material in class... not everything though ^_^.

Offline charlsie

• Adventurer
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
I am reading "Tuesdays With Morrie".  It is an amazing book that teaches you what really matters in life.  I cried while reading it on the subway, and at my desk.  It is touching and motivational!

Great read.  Love Mitch Albom books.  They're easy reads (finish in a day or two) and after finishing I always gain a different perspective on life and death =)

Offline Brown in Busan

• Waygookin
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »
Im reading Christopher Columbus: The Conquest of Paradise by Patrick Sale. It is a great book not only about how dumb Columbus was or a manipulator that the Spanish Crown finally got rid of him but how the West thought of people who were non-European and non-Christian. It was this idea that God invested in them (Europeans) to conquer nature since God conquered man and nature, similar to a ripple effect. But that idea transpire throughout centuries....Its a thick book but I cant ride the subway without.

Offline ecoecho

• Adventurer
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »
The Teachings of Buddha and Bury Me Standing--an older nonfiction book about the Roma of Europe and USA.

Offline smores85

• Waygookin
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »
The Celestine Prophecy (for the second time)

Savre

« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
A Game of Thrones. Trying to finish before I start watching the TV series which has just started.

Offline bluecrew2108

• Newgookin
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »
Recently I've really been into Malcolm Gladwell books.  The Tipping Point was solid, but his next book Blink is fantastic.  He has an awesome lecture on TED.com too about spaghetti sauce.  Also, I finished Freakonomics and even beyond that, am totally into their podcasts on iTunes (free to download = totally awesome). 

Offline Windowsmaniac

• Newgookin
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2011, 05:23:49 AM »
Geeko! I'm reading The Bible...just by curiosity...another fairy tail.

Offline Mountiandrue

• Adventurer
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »
Life's little Ironies by Thomas Hardy. It's a great collection of short stories.(If you're into late Victorian/Early 20th century literature, that is.)

Offline JackSem

• Adventurer
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2011, 07:43:30 AM »
Reading John Banville's The Book of Evidence and Pierre Bourdieu's A Social Critique of the Judgment of Taste.

Just finished reading Lorrie Moore's A Gate at the Stairs and while it is mildly enjoyable I wouldn't recommend it.