February 16, 2019, 08:49:21 AM

Author Topic: What Books are you reading???? just curious!  (Read 282500 times)

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #1000 on: February 27, 2018, 02:45:50 PM »
I'm about halfway through 12 Rules for Life and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, for a strange reason though.

It's making me really mad at myself. I have a lot of potential but I take the easy way out every time. I'm a good person but I don't do the right thing. I'm well liked but I don't really like myself too much.

Also reading this. Some interesting (and relatable) bits, but also difficult and haughty. I'm a pretty staunch JP fan, but the part where he talks about looking down his nose at a stoner acquaintance seemed a bit dick-ish for a clinical psychologist

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #1001 on: February 27, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »
I'm about halfway through 12 Rules for Life and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, for a strange reason though.

It's making me really mad at myself. I have a lot of potential but I take the easy way out every time. I'm a good person but I don't do the right thing. I'm well liked but I don't really like myself too much.

Also reading this. Some interesting (and relatable) bits, but also difficult and haughty. I'm a pretty staunch JP fan, but the part where he talks about looking down his nose at a stoner acquaintance seemed a bit dick-ish for a clinical psychologist

It's time for you to leave, stoner boy, IT'S NO JOKE.
Honestly, though, every time I think about the "Cult of Peterson" that gets thrown his way, I remind myself that there are a lot of things I disagree with him on. Keeps me in check. He's a brilliant guy and I appreciate his work, but he's not a Messiah. It's important to remember that.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1002 on: February 27, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
Why Nations Fail.

I'm pretty much done with fiction. The last work of fiction was "The Picture of Dorian Gray". What a read! Full of witty one liners. My favourite: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about". An absolute classic.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #1003 on: February 27, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »
Why Nations Fail.

I'm pretty much done with fiction. The last work of fiction was "The Picture of Dorian Gray". What a read! Full of witty one liners. My favourite: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about". An absolute classic.

I hear that. Actually, I read that same book not too long ago. Wasn't the last fiction I read, but fairly close. haha

I much prefer films for fiction and books for non-fiction. I do like documentaries, but find they gloss over a lot of stuff that I would find interesting.

Fiction is like this too, obviously, but if you can't tell a compelling story in 2 hours on screen, there's something wrong.

It's funny, because a lot of my favourite fiction can be put down to Orwell, Huxley and Atwood. Dystopian fiction takes on a sort of non-fictionesque attitude in that it tries to make a real world account that horrifies us. Speculative fiction is the "realest" of fictions anyway. 

To each their own though.  8)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:32:56 PM by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline profporkchop

• Adventurer
« Reply #1004 on: April 20, 2018, 04:20:09 AM »
Book 3 in the Names of Power series (I have a pre-release copy)

The author is pretty cool.

http://www.indubitablypress.com

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #1005 on: April 20, 2018, 06:11:11 AM »
I'm into crazy fantasy and slightly romantic themed novels. So I've been reading the Outlander series! It's pretty good!
Parts are super...out there kinda, but I'm enjoying it. I've only seen short clips from the Netflix series but I'm already disappointed in the casting for that -_-

Offline profporkchop

• Adventurer
« Reply #1006 on: April 20, 2018, 06:13:04 AM »
I'm into crazy fantasy and slightly romantic themed novels. So I've been reading the Outlander series! It's pretty good!
Parts are super...out there kinda, but I'm enjoying it. I've only seen short clips from the Netflix series but I'm already disappointed in the casting for that -_-

You need to read The NecroNomNomNomicon: Cookbook of the Dead and its sequel

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #1007 on: April 20, 2018, 06:55:11 AM »
I actually just picked up the Harry Potter series again. I remember burning through them as a kid until my sister did the whole "stop touching MY stuff" bit and ruined my interest in them lol

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #1008 on: April 20, 2018, 07:23:17 AM »
I just finished Thinking Fast and Slow, which I'd really recommend to anyone interested in psychology/behavioral economics type stuff. Today I started Dune... and hopefully I'll finish it before I die.

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #1009 on: April 20, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
just finished The Great Railway Bazaar by Peter Theroux. really cool book about how the writer (an English professor back in the 60's & 70's) decided to only travel by train to all the conferences and lectures he gave for 1 year. he started in England and traveled through Pakistan, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, Russia, and then made his way back to England.

the book is about all the experiences he had as a foreigner traveling by train through the countries back in the day. it was a really really good read.

Peter Theroux is quickly becoming my favorite author.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1010 on: April 20, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »
Bro, I'd say I read quite a bit of books. These days, I've been reading the news feed on instagram after searching the hashtag "예쁜여자"  :police:

Offline dippedinblush

• Veteran
« Reply #1011 on: April 20, 2018, 08:36:00 PM »
Bro, I'd say I read quite a bit of books. These days, I've been reading the news feed on instagram after searching the hashtag "예쁜여자"  :police:

Dude!!!! Get 'dem bitches over to your swamp, man!!!! ESLTurtle ftw!!!!

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #1012 on: April 25, 2018, 06:01:16 AM »
I actually just picked up the Harry Potter series again. I remember burning through them as a kid until my sister did the whole "stop touching MY stuff" bit and ruined my interest in them lol

You definitely should finish them!!! Your sister didn't even let you read her books?? Harsh!

Offline AMDC

• Veteran
« Reply #1013 on: April 25, 2018, 07:54:42 AM »
Also wanna read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****.

It's basically Zen for dummies. That said, good book!

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #1014 on: April 25, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »

You definitely should finish them!!! Your sister didn't even let you read her books?? Harsh!

She's also the reason I never finished any LoZ or Pokemon games lmao

I'm almost done with the 3rd book, onto the 3rd movie tonight as well. Just running through 'em!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1015 on: April 25, 2018, 10:17:46 AM »
I'm reading "Call Me By Your Name" for my book club right now. I'm about halfway through, though I don't love it. I've also started Rabbit Back Literature Club, though that's on hold until I finish the other.

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #1016 on: April 26, 2018, 02:03:26 AM »

She's also the reason I never finished any LoZ or Pokemon games lmao

I'm almost done with the 3rd book, onto the 3rd movie tonight as well. Just running through 'em!

Alright games I can sympathize with, my sister did the same -_- soon as she saw me playing it was "her turn" immediately. 

Have you already seen all of the movies or is it first time?? 4th and 5th books might be my favorites I'm excited for yoouuuu now I wanna read again!

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #1017 on: April 26, 2018, 07:29:39 AM »

Alright games I can sympathize with, my sister did the same -_- soon as she saw me playing it was "her turn" immediately. 

Have you already seen all of the movies or is it first time?? 4th and 5th books might be my favorites I'm excited for yoouuuu now I wanna read again!

I just started the 4th book this morning :D

It was tradition when I was a kid to see the movies with my grandparents, mom and sister when they came out in theater. We stopped after the 5th but I still remember it fondly.

I've never read past halfway through the 4th book so this is gonna be a new adventure for sure for me.

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1018 on: April 26, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »
I went and spent a fortune at a used bookstore after work yesterday.

I'm way more into fiction. I always resolve to read more non-fiction though and I think I definitely should.

I'm just finishing up "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"..... I have that wonderful, wonderful moment of choosing my next book :) I'm thinking "It" (the size of which keeps putting me off) or "The Goldfinch".

I like how Korea makes me read things I never normally would, since I rely on the one store where I live or book swaps etc.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1019 on: April 26, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
Since the start of my new contract here. I have read about 20~ light novels, and well over 1000 comic books (possibly even over 2000 comic books now - well, Japanese manga), granted the manga's are pretty short (not 1000 series BTW).