November 19, 2018, 07:23:06 PM

Author Topic: Koreans are cold.  (Read 22700 times)

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
Koreans are cold.
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »
Koreans are cold now running around "chupta"  "chupta".  Well, actually, they've been doing that for the past 5 weeks or so.  Well, somewhat as it's been a warmer than usual October.  Only now have I worn a coat in the mornings, starting yesterday.  But eh classrooms are still hot because of the sun and the number of bodies.  I wear a regular shirt and open a door for a few mintues and everyone starts running off with chupta this and chupta that.  I wear a light coat now but take it off once I get indoors, especially in the rooms. 

I'm starting to think Koreans are like batteries that don't hold their charge.  I was wearing a short sleeve shirrt until a couple of days ago with no coat.  Kids and teachers all freezing to death, especially in the mornings.  They touch my arm and comment on how warm I am and their hands are always cold.  I think white people must have some insulating layer in their skin that Asians don't have.  That's why they love the heat and whine about the cold.  It's not even that cold here in winter, just a bit at night I guess. 

Anyways, any day over 19 or 20 degrees is warm and they're all bundled up in coats.  So, the universal question: "Aren't you cold?" gets asked when I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt.  Even now, in the rooms, the temps are warmer than outside due to the sun and body heat.  I'm wearing a non thick long sleeve shirt with my jacket on my seat.  But the Koreans are all bundled in coats and freezing.  I'm a battery that holds my charge, I guess (or the heat anyhow). 

You'd think they're shock that I'm not bundled up in a parka as we speak would finally make them realize white people don't like heat.  But will it mean the air con gets turned on more to be considerate of a guest next summer?  Don't bet on it.  Though in my experience, you don't hint to Asians, they don't get those non verbal cues.  You have to tell them.  Anyways, it will be nice and cool for the next 6 months.  Yippee.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:29:37 PM by weigookin74 »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: Koreans are cold.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
I think it's a cultural thing. Think of all the bulgamas here. Think of dozens of generations sleeping on a piping hot ondol for their whole lives. Think of the hot pack industry.

Now take those away from a Korean. They're gonna be damn cold. They've been conditioned their whole lives and through generations to seek out, not comfort, not warm enough, BUT FIRE.

Add to that Han, the victim, life is hardship mentality, and you get infinite complaints about how freezing it is.

Disclaimer: I'm from Canada and spent 3 years in Sudbury. I can't complain about the cold. I walked to school in a T-shirt today. Is it warm out? Of course not. Is it cold? Yeah. But my genes can take it.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »
I think it's a cultural thing. Think of all the bulgamas here. Think of dozens of generations sleeping on a piping hot ondol for their whole lives. Think of the hot pack industry.

Now take those away from a Korean. They're gonna be damn cold. They've been conditioned their whole lives and through generations to seek out, not comfort, not warm enough, BUT FIRE.

Add to that Han, the victim, life is hardship mentality, and you get infinite complaints about how freezing it is.

Disclaimer: I'm from Canada and spent 3 years in Sudbury. I can't complain about the cold. I walked to school in a T-shirt today. Is it warm out? Of course not. Is it cold? Yeah. But my genes can take it.
Pretty much sums it up for me too, and I'm not Canadian but I've lived in very cold places too.

Genetics might have quite a bit to do with someone's tolerance to weather, especially those with lower blood pressure and slower metabolisms. Those with higher metabolisms have bodies that are like constant churning furnaces.
I do think that a lot of it is definitely in the head though, I lived in a very cold region for half of my life where there was about 6-7 months winter. Because I came from that kind of a background I have a higher tolerance to colder weather. I don't inherently think it's my genetics that gives me that ability though, I just grew up in that kind of a place.

Offline James89

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
Some people feel the cold, others don't.

Who cares.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
You'd think they're shock that I'm not bundled up in a parka as we speak would finally make them realize white people don't like heat.  But will it mean the air con gets turned on more to be considerate of a guest next summer?  Don't bet on it.  Though in my experience, you don't hint to Asians, they don't get those non verbal cues.  You have to tell them.  Anyways, it will be nice and cool for the next 6 months.  Yippee.

Uuuuh, I'm white.  I'm from a cold city in the US in a state that borders Canada.  I loathe the cold and love the heat.  Please keep in mind this is all 100% your own personal opinion and your own body's way of responding to its environment.

That being said, I think someone else mentioned in another thread that Koreans tend to act/dress according to seasonal calendar instead of the actual weather.  Once September hits, "beach season" is flat-out over no matter how hot the weather still may be.  Once the first day of fall hits, it's suddenly freezing regardless of how unusually warm of an autumn we're having.  Or if spring is bizarrely warm and it's boiling by April, we still can't turn on the AC until the end of May.  It's like they look at a calendar and go "Oh, it's winter time now, so I must dress for winter" instead of looking outside and dressing accordingly for the weather. :huh:

I don't inherently think it's my genetics that gives me that ability though, I just grew up in that kind of a place.
Also, despite my hatred of the cold, i do think bodies adjust, and some more quickly than others.  When winter first hits I feel like i'm dying and wonder how I ever survived last year, but by February or March it doesn't really feel all that bad.  Then when spring starts to come, weather I'd previously been bundling up for in fall then feels super comfortable and I wear fewer layers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:45:37 PM by nomadicmadda »

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »

Who cares.

You will care if you're stuck with a group of Koreans who crank the heat to 30 degrees this winter and you're gagging from the heat or next summer when it's 50 degrees with the humidity and the school is humming and hawing about turning on the air con.   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:49:32 PM by weigookin74 »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:46:36 PM »

Who cares.

You seem pleasant. Are you like this at parties?

Host: You guys want some music?  ;D

You: Some people do, some people don't. Who cares?  :rolleyes:

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:47:27 PM »
Koreans are cold now running around "chupta"  "chupta".  Well, actually, they've been doing that for the past 5 weeks or so.  Well, somewhat as it's been a warmer than usual October.  Only now have I worn a coat in the mornings, starting yesterday.  But eh classrooms are still hot because of the sun and the number of bodies.  I wear a regular shirt and open a door for a few mintues and everyone starts running off with chupta this and chupta that.  I wear a light coat now but take it off once I get indoors, especially in the rooms. 

I'm starting to think Koreans are like batteries that don't hold their charge.  I was wearing a short sleeve shirrt until a couple of days ago with no coat.  Kids and teachers all freezing to death, especially in the mornings.  They touch my arm and comment on how warm I am and their hands are always cold.  I think white people must have some insulating layer in their skin that Asians don't have.  That's why they love the heat and whine about the cold.  It's not even that cold here in winter, just a bit at night I guess. 

Anyways, any day over 19 or 20 degrees is warm and they're all bundled up in coats.  So, the universal question: "Aren't you cold?" gets asked when I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt.  Even now, in the rooms, the temps are warmer than outside due to the sun and body heat.  I'm wearing a non thick long sleeve shirt with my jacket on my seat.  But the Koreans are all bundled in coats and freezing.  I'm a battery that holds my charge, I guess (or the heat anyhow). 

I'm white.  I'm from a cold city in the US in a state that borders Canada.  I loathe the cold and love the heat.  Please keep in mind this is all 100% your own personal opinion and your own body's way of responding to its environment.

That being said, I think someone else mentioned in another thread that Koreans tend to act/dress according to seasonal calendar instead of the actual weather.  Once September hits, "beach season" is flat-out over no matter how hot the weather still may be.  Once the first day of fall hits, it's suddenly freezing regardless of how unusually warm of an autumn we're having.  Or if spring is bizarrely warm and it's boiling by April, we still can't turn on the AC until the end of May.  It's like they look at a calendar and go "Oh, it's winter time now, so I must dress for winter" instead of looking outside and dressing accordingly for the weather. :huh:

Ok, most white people.  Ha ha.  So many fellows I'd meet that would b!ch about the heat here.  Anyhow, if you love the humidity, more power to you.  But, surely, you can't say the winters here are too cold? 

As for the rest of it.  Yeah, Koreans have a strange way of thinking by looking at the calendar only.   

Offline vietpham

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »

Who cares.

You will care if you're stuck with a group of Koreans who crank the heat to 30 degrees this winter and you're gagging from the heat or next summer when it's 50 degrees with the humidity and the school is humming and hawing about turning on the air con.   

That's the thing.  People have different preferences.  I worked in companies in the states where the rooms are like ice box because some people can't take any heat and other people have to bring portable heaters in the office because it's freezing inside in the summer.   :evil:

Korean can take heat better.  People here can take cold better.  Deal  with it. 

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
I'm from Florida. I freeze every fall, winter, and spring. The only season I like here is summer. I stopped cycling 2 months ago because it got too cold. brrr Snowboarding gets me through winter.

I met a Korean American dude who said it was more humid here in summer than in Florida and I met some dudes from Texas at the airport a couple of years ago and they told me Korea is almost as humid as there. 

As for cycling, if I try to bike up a mountain when there's any humidity or the dew point is too high and do heavy deep breathing into my lungs, I always get a bad reaction from it.  It's like the pollution or pollen or something gets trapped in the air and my body is coughing and nose is running trying to expunge that crap from my body.  Has happened to me a couple of times here, until I smartened up and learned to be careful to minimize exercise in the summers here.  Usually through mid and later fall and some of spring can I attempt exercise like that when the air is dry and clear.  October is the best month for cycling ehre, except for this year.

That said, most folks I meet here do get irriated at the ehat as much as me.  So, I'd still say that's the most common reaction.  Might be different for South Africans and Australians due to the desert like climate.  But, some New Zealanders I knew did get p!$$ed at the heat here as they're climate is mild.     

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »
OMG LIKE YOU ARE SO MANLY, KOREANS COULDN"T EVEN BEGIN TO TOUCH YOUR LEVEL OF TOUGHNESS!!!

Who the **** cares. Not all Koreans are running around cold; you are obviously exaggerating it to make yourself a high horse to ride on.

How dare some people say they are cold, especially when you aren't!

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline vietpham

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
I'm from Florida. I freeze every fall, winter, and spring. The only season I like here is summer. I stopped cycling 2 months ago because it got too cold. brrr Snowboarding gets me through winter.

Same. I'm currently freezing my feet off in a classroom where my co teacher will NOT KEEP THE DOORS CLOSED

What I do is buy a cheap pair of black or neutral color shoes to wear only indoor since those korean slippers don't help enough to keep the heat.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »

Same. I'm currently freezing my feet off in a classroom where my co teacher will NOT KEEP THE DOORS CLOSED

Korean's don't do logical things and that's been my point all along.  I'm not very cold.  But into December when it is cold in the mornings, they'l open all the windows and doors.  Schoolslippers suck as they are too small and provide no insulation against the cold concrete floors. 

Men:
http://global.llbean.com/shop/Mens-Fleece-Slipper-Scuffs/60879.html#q=fleece%2Bslippers&start=1

Women:
http://global.llbean.com/shop/Womens-Fleece-Slipper-Scuffs%2C-Quilted/70447.html#q=fleece%2Bslippers&start=1

These bad boys are your friends and quite warm and comfy.  I re order every 2 or 3 years.  From mid November or so until late March, I wear these. 

Just use your main schools address for shipping things here.  Much easier.  I got my package this morning.  I got the brown men's fleece ones. 

Also add that Koreans seem to not make means slippers larger than size 260 and are too small. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:04:47 PM by weigookin74 »

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 01:59:56 PM »
OMG LIKE YOU ARE SO MANLY, KOREANS COULDN"T EVEN BEGIN TO TOUCH YOUR LEVEL OF TOUGHNESS!!!

Who the **** cares. Not all Koreans are running around cold; you are obviously exaggerating it to make yourself a high horse to ride on.

How dare some people say they are cold, especially when you aren't!

If you don't care, why are you commenting?  Also what are you a high school girlor a stuck up prom queen...LIKE, OMG, YOU ARE SO......

Most Koreans are cold.  I've been listening to them the past 3 days and they are all bundled up in thick coats everywhere I go.  Most have worn some type of coat for a month now.  When I was in university, there were a couple of chicks who always complained about the cold back home come to think of it and a couple of folks in one of my work places who did as well with the air con.  But, they were a small minority of people.  Most everyone I knew was quite comofrtable with cooler temps and most white folks are too.  (Most teachers I've nmet here have said the same thing.) 

Online TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Every year like clockwork, OP makes a thread like this or bumps one of his older threads from 5 years ago. OP has not only beaten the dead horse, he's mashed it, burned it, and buried it into the ground.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »
Euros are pretty soft, too.

The amount of heavy jackets and furs in Rome in 17 degree weather was surprising.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »
This thread might as well be called "White men learn that rest of the world doesn't have same opinions on temperature as they do, but still think rest of the world is weird and they are normal".

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 02:20:50 PM »
TIL :rolleyes:

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 02:25:50 PM »
Every year like clockwork, OP makes a thread like this or bumps one of his older threads from 5 years ago. OP has not only beaten the dead horse, he's mashed it, burned it, and buried it into the ground.

I'm guilty of commenting, but so are most other foreigners.  Sorry, you're in the minority bud.  It's still strange to me and I commented because the kids were all touching me this morning and saying how hot I felt as they're hands are ice cold. 

BTW, most other foreigners kept this other topic going and commented far more than me.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,60486.0.html

I assume that's what you're referring to. 

As for the rest of you, let the kids touch your arm and they'll be amazed at your body heat too.  They'll think you're incredible.  Ha ha. 

YoungMin

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »
I've had CTs complaining all day in the office about how cold it is.

:shocked: CLOSE THE ****** WINDOWS AND DOORS THEN! :shocked: