November 18, 2018, 09:50:08 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Koreans are cold.  (Read 22681 times)

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
Re: Koreans are cold.
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »
This thread is three pages long so I'd say lots of people care. It's a perennial subject that is worthy of discussion. The issue is not whether Koreans are a bunch of nancies (because we already know they are) but how they perceive cold differently from us and how they react to it. It irks a lot of people.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
I care about this topic, deeply.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2015, 10:10:24 PM »
It is true that Koreans are soft when it comes to weather/nature. And when it comes to the cold, they are soft as butter.  They simply cannot take cold weather. Don't even get me started on the rain...a few drops and they are scurrying like they are being attacked by Japanese Zero fighters.

Offline friendofcletus

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2015, 07:45:02 AM »
I have come to view comments about discomfort (made by Korean co-workers, friends, and random folks I encounter) as part of the cultural norm here.

I'm tired. I'm cold. I'm hungry. I'm full. My condition is not good. It's difficult. Etc...

All of these seem to come up regularly, and I think it's just part of a bigger mentality that life has certain degree of suffering inherent in it...and it's okay to let people know about it. Maybe it's a way to form closer bonds with those around you? Like saying, "I'm cold" will elicit  the same response from a colleague, or some kind of empathetic response.

One thing that does puzzle me is the number of times they repeat themselves. Saying "I'm cold" once is fine. Does saying it five times mean you are five times as cold?   

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2015, 07:45:54 AM »
Some people feel the cold, others don't.

Who cares.

You seem pleasant. Are you like this at parties?

Host: You guys want some music?  ;D

You: Some people do, some people don't. Who cares?  :rolleyes:

because this same damn post happens every late fall/winter. Like..who the hell cares if Koreans are cold. I'm also cold. Like congratu-******-lations the OP didn't start wearing a coat until this week. Like here's a gold star. No.one.cares.

You know that reading these threads is optional, right? Maybe there is something wrong with your computer if this thread is the first and only thing you see all of the time.

You have a point, this does get discussed a lot. The only thing worse is the comments to the tune of, "Hey, we talked about this last year. Hurr durr."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
Is this the macho man thread? "Look at me, I can brave the cold! I am all that is man!"

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2015, 08:12:17 AM »
i'm pretty damn cold. my office is in the English room which means the kids' body heat only heats up the room until lunch. then my room gets freezing in the afternoon. and it's a double-whammy because that's when the sun has gone round the other side of the building too.

Offline JLCutler

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2015, 08:43:50 AM »
Yes OP is obsessed with the weather or at least enjoys posting about it far more than anyone else but I value these posts because I empathize with him quite a bit. Korea is my home now but I don't like sweating twelve months out of the year.

The post about micro-evolution is spot-on. It's something everyone should understand including those who ask me if I'm cold while I'm wearing a T-shirt at my desk with my fan on in an office full of thirty teachers with their computers and three ceiling-mounted heaters blowing hot air onto us, which all taken together creates a median temperature of 30C. Korean people cannot store heat whereas I can. Oh, I can.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »
Euros are pretty soft, too.

The amount of heavy jackets and furs in Rome in 17 degree weather was surprising.

I thought you were being smart then about OP's constant postings about either the weather or the exchange rate. Alas, on the second read through, I realised you were, in fact, talking about Europeans. Disappointed.

You do realise people are acclimatised to different temperatures? By the fact that they can wear jumpers in summer and be only mildly affected shows me they're not soft. but meh. each to their own.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:13:34 AM by Space »

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »
I'm cold so I'm wearing a jacket.

Offline chronocider

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »
remember this thread? pretty weird to hear about someone discovering winter for the first time ever.
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,81975.0/topicseen.html

but the best part is all the haikus starting from bottom of page 1.
you're welcome.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »
Cold season seems to have officially begun here in my neck of Korea. Finally caved in and turned my heat on a couple times over the weekend, and my fingers are definitely suffering here in the office right now. I bring my personal gaming laptop to use as my work computer, and I'm tempted to run a graphics intensive game in the background right now just so my computer will warm up my hands. :laugh:

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2015, 09:18:44 AM »
Cold season seems to have officially begun here in my neck of Korea. Finally caved in and turned my heat on a couple times over the weekend, and my fingers are definitely suffering here in the office right now. I bring my personal gaming laptop to use as my work computer, and I'm tempted to run a graphics intensive game in the background right now just so my computer will warm up my hands. :laugh:

Find someone to share your bed. Far more enjoyable.

Also, You might end up looking a bit like Fagin

But I really recommend these fingerless badboys

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2015, 09:24:41 AM »

The amount of heavy jackets and furs in Rome in 17 degree weather was surprising.

I thought you were being smart then about OP's constant postings about either the weather or the exchange rate. Alas, on the second read through, I realised you were, in fact, talking about Europeans. Disappointed.

You do realise people are acclimatised to different temperatures? By the fact that they can wear jumpers in summer and be only mildly affected shows me they're not soft. but meh. each to their own.

What's a good passive-aggressive response to this?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »

Awwww.. didn't mean to insult you.

Your use of Euro was confusing is all.

Do you need to hug it out?

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »

Sorry, cadet.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »

Sorry, cadet.

No problem, Worm.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »
?
-AP

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2015, 10:07:51 AM »
He's a virgin eunuch, but ultimately it's a compliment ;-)