November 18, 2018, 02:42:36 PM

Author Topic: K teacher hit two 3rd graders for not dancing  (Read 5073 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: K teacher hit two 3rd graders for not dancing
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »
"Terror." Hardly. See Paris. Most of these entitled brats need a smack to set them straight. The lack of any discipline is why they act the way that they do.  This isn't the western world, this is Korea, sunshine.

By the way, you made the male teacher lose face and by a foreign female teacher no less.. Be prepared for him to snipe you whenever he can.

Who tf cares? "Face" isn't something he deserves to have. So sick of this bullshit "face" idea. I'll make anyone who's being an a@@hole lose face. They snipe me and I'll continue making them lose face. It'd be so fun.

West coast, you probably didn't even mean it that way. I apologize.  :laugh: I have an attitude and am super irritable today  :evil:

I'm sure if your co-teacher embarrassed you in front of everyone, you'd be peachy-keen. We have threads on here about people whining that they didn't get a SPAM gift set and yet they don't care about respect and 'face'. Right.

At the end of the day, being a teacher means you have to be loyal to the other teachers. You have to back them up or else they won't back you up. The students aren't loyal to you. They aren't going to back you when things get tough and a parent complains about you. Right or wrong, you don't side with the students over the teacher in public. In private is another matter. If you think he's wrong, take him aside and explain things and make sure he knows that you respect him. If you're going to reject them and go on your own, be prepared to go on your own. And if you want to go by the book, be prepared to have the book thrown at you.

And yeah, sometimes a light smack is needed.

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »
Who tf cares? "Face" isn't something he deserves to have. So sick of this bullshit "face" idea. I'll make anyone who's being an a@@hole lose face. They snipe me and I'll continue making them lose face. It'd be so fun.
Good luck with living in Korea if you don't give a crap about the idea of saving face.
I've embarassed my co teacher multiple times but she's the most forgiving person I've ever met. It has caused no problems for me.
I think there's a bit of a difference between accidentally embarrassing someone and saying "I don't give a shit about embarrassing people. F them." The previous statement reads like the latter.

-They don't know it is illegal or wrong. Very doubtful, unless everyone was sleeping during those lessons and when the police came in every year.
It's very doubtful that people know that hitting pedestrians in a crosswalk is wrong, since they passed a written driving test that says that it's illegal.

Nonetheless, a Korean guy I know who grew up in Africa got hit by a scooter and the guy chewed him out for not getting out of his way.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:49:08 PM by slycordinator »

Offline CliffK

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »
"Terror." Hardly. See Paris. Most of these entitled brats need a smack to set them straight. The lack of any discipline is why they act the way that they do.  This isn't the western world, this is Korea, sunshine.

By the way, you made the male teacher lose face and by a foreign female teacher no less.. Be prepared for him to snipe you whenever he can.

West coast, you probably didn't even mean it that way. I apologize.  :laugh: I have an attitude and am super irritable today  :evil:

I'm sure if your co-teacher embarrassed you in front of everyone, you'd be peachy-keen. We have threads on here about people whining that they didn't get a SPAM gift set and yet they don't care about respect and 'face'. Right.

At the end of the day, being a teacher means you have to be loyal to the other teachers. You have to back them up or else they won't back you up. The students aren't loyal to you. They aren't going to back you when things get tough and a parent complains about you. Right or wrong, you don't side with the students over the teacher in public. In private is another matter. If you think he's wrong, take him aside and explain things and make sure he knows that you respect him. If you're going to reject them and go on your own, be prepared to go on your own. And if you want to go by the book, be prepared to have the book thrown at you.

And yeah, sometimes a light smack is needed.

I agree with you, Mr. DeMartino. Teachers absolutely must present a united front. Otherwise its like the obsequious mother and the stern father (or vice versa)- kids will see this weakness and exploit it. Going directly against another teacher in front of the students is asking for a whole world of trouble, for OP and for the student whom they're trying to protect. If you feel the need to clear your conscience, speak to the teacher privately. But you're a foreigner here for a brief time at best- you're not going to change the culture or the school by these antics you described.

Keeping those few kids in line and a hit here and there might be the difference between order and utter chaos in that classroom. Besides, Koreans seem to have a very touchy-feely kind of culture, so I think that the hitting is much more normal.  Fear and respect can be related, and I think a healthy fear of teachers can be beneficial in keeping the students under control.