January 22, 2019, 02:55:03 AM

Author Topic: Anyone have any issues with your GF/BF's parents?  (Read 13252 times)

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
Re: Anyone have any issues with your GF/BF's parents?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »
Why are you pulling up a thread from 2015? It's so bizarre.
I needed closure

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2018, 08:47:33 AM »
i've got 1st period free so lemme jump in this

my in-laws are chill as ****. they speak ZERO English which is kinda cool because it gives me motivation to keep improving my Korean.

my mil is a member of like 50 adult hagwons (singing club, arts & crafts club, etc..) and that seems to keep her busy and out of my wife & I's personal matters. my fil is really into cycling and soju. he's super chill.

i think the fact that my wife is an only child has made everything easier. there's zero family drama, no crazy brothers/sisters, and no getting compared to or competing with other spouses. i can tell her mom & dad really like finally having a son. they've made it clear that as long as their daughter is happy they are happy.

let me tell a story about the moment i knew my wife and i were gonna get married...

we were dating for about a year before we did the first introduction thing. she'd stay at my place a few nights a week and we even traveled outside Korea together so her parents knew we were in a relationship. she wasn't hiding me or anything, i think she was just waiting to see if we were serious before introducing me. fair play...i respected her for that.

so we finally decide to link up with her parents and have a nice Korean lunch together. it was in the middle of summer. lunch goes great. mom is super nice and dad is laid back. we're all a little nervous, so while her and her mom bullshit, her father and i just keep ripping soju in between awkward silences. we end up drinking a bit too much out of nervousness, but we're all good. we dip from lunch and on the walk back to their place, they tell us they need to stop off to buy some groceries. we go back to their place and just chill. i start getting a stomachache. it was a perfect storm of it being hot as **** outside, soju, and having a big ass bbq lunch. i tell my girl i have to shit and hit bathroom. do the deed and i immediately start feeling better. her parents get back and we say our goodbyes. i thought i got out of it pretty clean. later that night we're hanging out at my apt and my girl gets a call. im watching tv and i can hear her going "omgggg, are you serious?!?!?" and she's ****** dying laughing. i thought it was one of her friends or co-workers. she finally hangs up and is crying. i ask her what the hell and she tells me...after we left, her dad went to take a piss. he flushed the toilet and it backs up and overflows...spilling my shit all over their bathroom floor. her father had to scoop my shit back into the toilet and and push the rest down the drain. i freak out...please tell me you're ****** joking. she's laughing so hard she can't respond. finally she tells me her mom doesn't want her to tell me because they don't want me to be embarrassed. im freaking out but eventually start laughing. i said there's no going back from this..we either have to break up right now or get married. both of us do that thing where you calm down and then start laughing again. it was simultaneously the most embarrassing & romantic moment of my life because i knew that day i was going to marry her. 
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »
so we finally decide to link up with her parents and have a nice Korean lunch together. it was in the middle of summer. lunch goes great. mom is super nice and dad is laid back. we're all a little nervous, so while her and her mom bullshit, her father and i just keep ripping soju in between awkward silences. we end up drinking a bit too much out of nervousness, but we're all good. we dip from lunch and on the walk back to their place, they tell us they need to stop off to buy some groceries. we go back to their place and just chill. i start getting a stomachache. it was a perfect storm of it being hot as **** outside, soju, and having a big ass bbq lunch. i tell my girl i have to shit and hit bathroom. do the deed and i immediately start feeling better. her parents get back and we say our goodbyes. i thought i got out of it pretty clean. later that night we're hanging out at my apt and my girl gets a call. im watching tv and i can hear her going "omgggg, are you serious?!?!?" and she's ****** dying laughing. i thought it was one of her friends or co-workers. she finally hangs up and is crying. i ask her what the hell and she tells me...after we left, her dad went to take a piss. he flushed the toilet and it backs up and overflows...spilling my shit all over their bathroom floor. her father had to scoop my shit back into the toilet and and push the rest down the drain. i freak out...please tell me you're ****** joking. she's laughing so hard she can't respond. finally she tells me her mom doesn't want her to tell me because they don't want me to be embarrassed. im freaking out but eventually start laughing. i said there's no going back from this..we either have to break up right now or get married. both of us do that thing where you calm down and then start laughing again. it was simultaneously the most embarrassing & romantic moment of my life because i knew that day i was going to marry her.

Funny story. I can only imagine how horrified you were when she first told you.  :cry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2019, 01:27:13 PM »
My Korean bf and I have been together for over a year now and his parents still don't know. He seems to be fearing the worst. The difference is that he doesn't have a job yet. Hes been trying and trying...but no dice. lobotronic has got it. It kinda sounds like a Korean drama, but its so true. Being married in Korea, I've noticed, comes with so many more obligations... My bf claims his parents will never "let him" come back to Canada with me and because he is the oldest son of his family, is responsible for all of the holidays.  I can't even decide if I want him to tell them or not.

No offence, but he sounds like a wussbag.  Also, he has no job and you are with him?  You must pay for everything though.  None of my business.  I only bring it up because you may want to think of your own future though and not regret it down the road.