November 19, 2018, 08:02:53 PM

Author Topic: Why won't anyone sit next to me on the subway? ;_;  (Read 13990 times)

Offline midori951

• Veteran
  • Bang Bang!
Re: Why won't anyone sit next to me on the subway? ;_;
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:35 AM »
To me it's kind of funny. A friend and I have made a game of it. We would sit on opposite seats and wait for the train to fill up until there is one seat left on either side of us. The winner is the guy that has seats on either side of him taken. You'll be surprised at the confused look on some of the commuters faces trying to figure out which one of the two foreigners is the lesser evil.
sounds like a fun game! Now I need to make a friend!

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2015, 11:49:36 AM »

Offline amgoalng

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2015, 11:55:05 AM »
I guess for me there are two evils in this country when it comes to foreigners and seats.
1.  The Korean that tries to not sit next to you because you are a foreigner.
2.  The Korean that tries to sit next to you because you are a foreigner.

I would pick the former.  It is far better to be feared or ignored than to be bugged and used as free English practice. 

Offline terivinix

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2015, 12:03:58 PM »
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2015/09/197_186957.html

The Korea Times has issued an apology haha

It's been said already, but "foolsdie" ㅎㅎㅎ

Offline Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
In the apology, first they say it's the market that will determine their content, then they say that they have standards. It's a lot of circular reasoning.  Any good newspaper should have editors with guidelines and some kind of oath concerning journalistic integrity.   
The magic market is an "unforced consensus that forms and dissolves."  So the market is to blame, not a person who read and ran this story?  This is corporate personhood where no one takes responsibility and the Korean Times becomes an irresponsible joke.

Fine, they should have better vetting, but they should also distinguish between garbage and good articles.  They just wanted to believe the guys story because they are obsessed with articles about foreigners.  They should not only vet to see if the guy is who he says he is, but they should also ask whether this is a real issue for foreigners and a worthy story which it is not.

The Korean Times also said the will use law enforcement in the future.
They want to shift the blame onto the guy who was making a valid point.

"We believe that our paper is the result of a partnership between those who make it and the readers. We know we can't exist without the support of the readers, as they can always move to another seller of news"

"As with any market, those ideas are valued, accepted or discarded by an unforced consensus that forms and dissolves, with the readers being the ultimate judge."

"By no means would we succumb to the cowardly act by this prankster and change our open-door policy toward any ideas and suggestions, unless they are found to be very offensive to others by the standards of race, sex, religion and culture"

Bonzai!

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
That apology uses some of the best writing I've ever seen on their site...

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »
It's shocking that the KT even apologized at all. They really are the worst newspaper on the peninsula and that's an accomplishment in itself. Good for the OP on that master troll though, it sure whipped up the expat blogosphere in a frenzy.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 02:45:58 PM »
Lurch,

I hope that was sarcasm, as the editor's "letter" was a troll in itself (Our dear l(r)eader).

Oh Young-jin is a nationalist bigot.  "Letters to the editor" are blocked, if he doesn't agree with the content, like writing the truth about the "Treaty on basic relations between Korea and Japan" of 1965.

As others have mentioned, how is plagiarism a mistake?

A spelling error is a mistake, but blatantly copying other's work and passing it off as your own, is NOT.

Moreover, the fact that she has been writing for the paper for a few years makes her act of plagiarism that much worse, yet Oh Young-jin believes it makes it excusable.

Really?  Isn't it the other way around in the really world?

If it were her first letter, ignorance could be an excuse.

Doesn't the fact that she has written dozens of pieces place her in a position of "she should have known better"?

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
No one will sit next to you because you have disgusting gogi smell.  You need a smelly Kimchi aura coming out of your mouth and pores instead son!! 

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
Is it a coincidence that people here were talking about trolling the Korea Times a few days before that article appeared?

time to start trolling the Korea Times, it's been done a couple of times, one I recall was a love letter to Jon Huer signed by the real name of Vanilla Ice (Van Winkle or something).

wonder if this one is a troll based on the reedit and plagiarism stuff, when will the KT ever get it?

Korean Times will soon realize there is a tribe of ESL teachers living in their midst who don't take kindly to xenophobia...

Also we have all this extra time on our hands... Well we have SOME extra time on our hands...

SPAM,TROLL,COMPLAIN

Strongly worded emails away!
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,90304.40.html

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 11:41:01 PM »
I have travelled from Sokcho in Gangwon province to Tongyeong in South Gyeongsang province to Seoul to Wando in South Jeolla province to Chuncheon to Changwon to Jeonju to Daegu to Gwangju to a ton of other places BY INTERCITY BUS from 2002 to 2008 (when I bought my Korando jeep) and I can tell you that almost always THE VERY LAST empty seat on the bus was next to me (the sole waygook on board) and that I LOVED the fact!!!! I am tall with long legs and once the bus departs I gladly had swung my legs into the empty seat's floor space, tilted my head against the window and went lights out.

Wanting a stranger to sit next to you on the subway or intercity bus is stranger than the fact that many of us foreigners don't get sat next to.

We clearly look different, are foreign, and travelling on public transit isn't most people's dream opportunity to connect with strangers, whether you're in Seoul, L.A. or Rome.

THE END.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2015, 12:00:51 AM »
I will often go straight to the back of the bus if it's available. I do this because I don't feel the pressure of giving up my seat to the older people when they get on the bus. Usually, the older people will not even venture back there so I can ride in comfort. As far as who sits next to me, I couldn't give a shit. Although, I would prefer an empty seat next to mine. If a Korean decides to take a seat elsewhere, I'm not hurt, I'm grateful.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
As far as who sits next to me, I couldn't give a shit. Although, I would prefer an empty seat next to mine. If a Korean decides to take a seat elsewhere, I'm not hurt, I'm grateful.

Yeah, I personally like/prefer it when a random person doesn't sit next to me on public transportation.

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2015, 09:28:14 AM »
As far as who sits next to me, I couldn't give a shit. Although, I would prefer an empty seat next to mine. If a Korean decides to take a seat elsewhere, I'm not hurt, I'm grateful.

Yeah, I personally like/prefer it when a random person doesn't sit next to me on public transportation.

Wow, really? I guess we're very different people.

I usually burst onto the bus roaring "한국말 잘 해요. 김치 너무 좋아요".

If the bus doesn't immediately burst into a "ONE OF US, ONE OF US" chant while clambering to sit beside me then I feel cold and empty inside.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »

If the bus doesn't immediately burst into a "ONE OF US, ONE OF US" chant while clambering to sit beside me then I feel cold and empty inside.

Um...okay?

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »

Um...okay?

Sure, thanks.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
I guess for me there are two evils in this country when it comes to foreigners and seats.

I would pick the former.  It is far better to be feared

Its not really fear though.. its sociopathic racism.

"I need to feel extra special at all times so I will boost my narcissistic ego and soothe my inferiority complex by acting as if that foreigner is less than human, because he is a vulnerable visitor to my world and I can act like the miserable toxic passive-aggressive person I really am with impunity"
Catch my drift?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2018, 06:13:42 PM »

I would pick the former.  It is far better to be feared

Its not really fear though.. its sociopathic racism.

"I need to feel extra special at all times so I will boost my narcissistic ego and soothe my inferiority complex by acting as if that foreigner is less than human, because he is a vulnerable visitor to my world and I can act like the miserable toxic passive-aggressive person I really am with impunity"

When we try to interact with Koreans: cuktural exploration. When they try to interact with us: sociopathic racism.    :rolleyes:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
When we try to interact with Koreans: cuktural exploration. When they try to interact with us: sociopathic racism.    :rolleyes:

He said when they're afraid to sit next to us it's sociopathic racism.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2018, 07:29:51 PM »
When they try to interact with us: sociopathic racism.    :rolleyes:

looks like someone lacks basic cognitive abilities. Try re-reading the post from amgoalng

Unless you really regard the following as normal..:-

- Making a show of hesitating at the sight of a foreigner
- Whining to your companion that you don't want to sit next to the foreigner
- Forcing your companion to be the one to sit next to the foreigner
- Baulking when unexpectedly coming across a foreigner
- Needing to be cajolled and encouraged into sitting next to a foreigner
- Getting up and moving to an adjacent seat when a foreigner sits next to you
- Preferring to stand for 30 minutes rather than sit next to a foreigner
- Preferring to stand for hours rather than sit next to or even near a foreigner
- making fun of your companion if they sit next to a foreigner
- sweating, going limp or otherwise showing visible discomfort when seated next to a foreigner
- whispering to your companion about the foreigner in a negative way
- trying to impress your g/f or b/f by making jokes about the foreigner under your breath
- appearing wide-eyed or open-mouthed at the sight of a foreigner
- needing to put down the foreigner in some subtle way in order to overcome the fact that you feel threatened
- needing to stare down the foreigner in order to overcome the fact that you feel threatened

Catch my drift?