January 23, 2019, 07:05:03 PM

Author Topic: Baggie Ice Cream Troubleshooting  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
Baggie Ice Cream Troubleshooting
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
SO, making ice cream in a bag seems to be all the rage for English camps so I thought I would give it a go.

I got coffee flavored ice cream, 2 ziplock bags, ice, salt and went to town shaking the bag.

I have done this twice and BOTH times the bag started leaking and the ice melted before I noticed ANY change.

What is the problem?
Too little ice? Salt? Is there a method to shaking the bag? Do I need to use ziplock brand baggies?

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Baggie Ice Cream Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
I assume you mean coffee flavoured milk...

Anyway, I have done this tons of times (because it used to be in the 2nd Grade text book).  I'm pretty good at it now, but occasionally the students have problems.

You need to get the right proportions of milk/ice/salt.  In the textbook it's 120ml milk (a paper cup filled to about 1.5cm from the top); 350g ice (a bag is usually 2.5kg, so I reckon on 5 groups per bag at 400g each which leaves some extra ice if needed); and 35g salt (this is about 2 tablespoons, or a paper cup filled to about 2.5cm).  Each group is usually four students, and they share one cup of ice cream.

Next, there is a variable quality of bags.  Food storage bags are quite thin, but freezer bags are made of thicker plastic film, so they're stronger (but a little more expensive).  I did find one batch of (expensive) Lotte bags where the seals leaked, so buying branded stuff is no guarantee (but they do feel thicker).

Finally (this took me a while), the ice chunks have sharp corners.  This means that they can puncture the bags if you just drop the ice into the bag from a height (especially if it hits the desk).  Similarly, if the students hit the desk or something when they are shaking everything then the ice cubes can puncture the inner or outer bags.

Today I did this with 5 groups of 3 students.  I used the cheapest bags from Daiso.  Two groups had an outer bag split (easily fixed).  Three groups had salty ice cream (but I am not sure why).  One group had a perfect result.

Remember all this stuff is going in the trash, so it's up to you what you want to spend.  I am paying for this myself, so I'm focused on price...

Offline annataleen

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
I used to volunteer at a nature center in my hometown, and we made this ice cream all the time!  I don't have the recipe we used here at school, but I can get it and post it later today.

We used to mix toppings in with the milk like chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, etc. and we didn't seem to have problems with leaking even with the extra liquid.

However, we didn't use the bag in bag method.  I am from the U.S. and we used this old Folgers Coffee plastic containers with a screw on top.  We would put the ice and rock salt in the container and then make sure the bag was sealed tightly with as much air out of it as we can get.  Then the students would shake the container. I think that is the trick, it works much better than the bag in bag method.

I know there is no way you could get those containers, or even buy enough of something similar at Daiso or where ever for every student, but maybe if you can find something and buy a few that would be ok?

Anyway, I will post the recipe we used later!

Online slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »
Whatever brand bags you get, bags that don't leak would be a start...

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:37:39 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I am doing this activity right now in my camp.  I used three bags for the inner part and two for the outer.  But they were really cheap from Daiso.

I think it works best when the students force all the air out of the bags.  If there is too much air it will insulate the milk from the ice.

I have one more of these to do.  Hopefully it'll work as well as this morning.

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
Ok, I had two kinds of bags from Daiso.  One had a red stripe on the edge, the other a blue one on the seal.  I think the red ones are for food storage (in a cupboard or fridge) and the blue ones are for the freezer.  I thought the blue ones would be stronger.

Anyway, the red ones worked ok, but I triple-bagged the milk.  The blue ones were mostly ok, but some of them didn't seal.  I pressed the seal properly, but the bag fell open again.  :sad:

So, there's that.  Anyway, the students really liked this activity.  8)

Offline Yaya

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:51:03 AM »
I tried this last year... didn't work. I think I used too little salt.

Anyway, I just popped them in the freezer and the next day the kids had vanilla milk popsicles. Just an idea if yours doesn't work.

Offline Vegemite

• Waygookin
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »
DON'T skimp on the ice! I tried twice using my ice tray from home and it was not enough. You have to fill the big zipper bag half way! I also used 1 and a half cups of rock salt.

So I used half a bag of ice
1 cup of milk
a few drops of vanilla
and 1.5 cups of rock salt.

Make sure the kids quickly run the little bag under the tap before cutting off a corner and piping it out (otherwise it'll taste salty, made that mistake with my first group).

Hope this helps!

OH! Also make sure they have a towel to stop the bag from freezing their hands or they'll be cursing you. I stood them in a circle and had them pass around the towel and icecream like a hot potato (it gets very very cold!)

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:05:40 AM »
Using rock salt is key as well. Makes a huge difference in the outcome of the ice cream.

Here is a specific thread with directions on how to make it. On my post it in there you can find a .ppt that I added with directions and pictures that I used. For my classes the ice cream turned out brilliant using the recipe in my .ppt. Good Luck!

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,16732.msg559478.html#msg559478

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
I used the recipe from the 2nd grade text book.  We're not using it this year, but I have a copy from last year.

For one scoop of ice cream (I make one scoop per group of 4 students):
120ml milk
2.5ml vanilla essence
1 tablespoon sugar
350g ice
35g rock salt (two tablespoons)

One bag of ice (2.5kg) easily does 5 groups.

The milk is double-bagged in small bags and put into the (large) ice bag.  The ice bag is wrapped in newspaper then in a t-shirt (grab both ends and shake for 10 minutes).

Offline annataleen

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 08:08:03 PM »
I am sorry I said I would post the recipe we used and I forgot!

Here it is.

Mix
      1 cup of half and half
      2 big spoons of sugar (unless they choose blueberry flavor, then use three    
      spoons of sugar)
      2 big spoons of pie filling or chocolate syrup
      in a quart size bag

In a gallon sized bag put ¼ cup of rock salt, two bowls of ice, and the quart sized bag with ingredients.  Make sure you get all of the air out of your small bag and it is sealed well!

Flip bag over like a pancake for approx 5 minutes or until ice cream gets firm.  It will be about the consistency of a Wendy’s Frosty.  The longer you flip our bag the harder the ice cream will be.

Once the ice cream is finished you can pour it into two cups and enjoy.  It may be easier to pour it into cups like a pastry bag by opening only one end of the bag.

As mentioned above, we used to use a plastic container with a screw on lid to make this, instead of the double bag system.  But of course it is easier (and cheaper) to buy a lot of bags and make it this way.

I agree that washing off the bag to rid it of the salt is a good idea.

I hope everyone is enjoying their ice cream, no matter what recipe they are using!

Offline Falling_Sky

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
We couldn't get half and half so we used 3/4 cream and 1/4 milk.

Turned out well!

Online joeyg

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
I found that triple sealing the ice cream bags, and then wrapping the whole thing in old NewsPaper worked awesome.

The newspaper keeps all the.... err... cool inside and you won't need any gloves. It's much more fool proof. So as long as you have enough salt and ice, and the kids aren't too rough, then the news paper allows you to be a little more liberal with the timing of the activity, without worrying about melting all the ice.