November 18, 2018, 09:14:11 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 813977 times)

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6120 on: November 09, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »
Does anyone else have students that refer to them by their first name?

"Teacher" is the most common I'm sure, followed by "Name Teacher." But some students have taken to calling me by my first name alone. Not that it bothers me, I'm just curious how often it happens.

At the beginning of the year when I meet new students I tell them that they can call me "Teacher" or just my first name; whichever they are more comfortable with.  It would feel weird if they called me "Mr LAST NAME".

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #6121 on: November 09, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
Wolfhound kept a bottle behind the bar and you had to ask for it but the one time I tried the guy was adamant they didn't have it.

What a Malt-teaser.

Good one.  Now you got me thinking about Malteasers.  Maybe they have something similar at Costco.  Anyways, this time of year after getting shafted for Canadian Thanksgiving it's time to root out American Thanksgiving fare.  Good thing this is the pointless rambling thread.  One class today due to field trips and I may be lurking on here.

Oh god now I'm thinking about Crunchie bars. 

Fish and chips with salt and vinegar, followed by a Crunchie for dessert.  Heaven!

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #6122 on: November 09, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »

"Teacher" is the most common I'm sure, followed by "Name Teacher." But some students have taken to calling me by my first name alone. Not that it bothers me, I'm just curious how often it happens.

At the beginning of the year when I meet new students I tell them that they can call me "Teacher" or just my first name; whichever they are more comfortable with.  It would feel weird if they called me "Mr LAST NAME".

When I tutored in the US, the program I worked with had the students call us Miss/Mr. FIRST NAME (elementary students addressing college students). I use that with my students too, and it works for me - not too formal, not too informal (in my opinion).

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6123 on: November 09, 2018, 11:32:38 AM »

When I tutored in the US, the program I worked with had the students call us Miss/Mr. FIRST NAME (elementary students addressing college students). I use that with my students too, and it works for me - not too formal, not too informal (in my opinion).

That's how I do it, too, though it's also in large part because "Tim" is easier for them to pronounce than my last name would be.  :laugh:

I'm strict about it, though. At the beginning of the year during my introductory presentation, I let them know that that's what they're to call me, and that I won't even respond to them if they call me anything else, haha.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6124 on: November 09, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »

No, but I have a nickname that many of the male students will call me when other teachers aren't around, lol.

It's nothing bad, it's a term of endearment that has a story behind it, but the KTs don't like it when students call any teachers anything but "teacher" or "[Name] Teacher".

Generally speaking, they only ever call me "teacher." I'm not too personally strict about what they call me as long as there's a title involved in there somehow and/or it's not intentionally/inherently disrespectful.

I've known some teachers who not only allowed but also insisted on being called by their first names alone, and they never had any problems associated with it, but I think that really comes down to the attitudes of the kids and the community/environments they're coming from (helps provide you with their possible motives). In one area, they could just think it's cool that they can call a teacher by their first name, but in another area the kids might take it as a vulnerability to be exploited as a way to test the teacher and see how far they can push boundaries. Like I would personally find it weird and have some qualms with it because the student(s) might be doing it to test me since my school tends to get a lot of problem students, thanks in part to its location. I also don't want to reinforce the idea that the U.S. and other western countries don't follow some form of formality (semi or full) based on their relationship status with other people. So many of them have this idea that American culture is entirely informal and casual, and they do a lot of things trying to emulate the culture never once realizing that what they're doing is actually very inappropriate and/or rude.

I like Mister Tim and shostager's way of doing it, but most kids refer to me by my last name back home because they think it's cool and fun to say, and I let the kids here call me what they're used to, so it's "teacher/[name] teacher" or "saem (쌤)". Since many of my kids seem to keep saying "Mr." when reading "Mrs. or Ms.", though, I'll probably try introducing myself as Ms. Name at any new assignments just so they can get used to using English titles appropriately.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:17:47 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6125 on: November 09, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »
Might have to start posting using gifs instead of words from now on. You've created a monster. ㅋㅋㅋ
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6126 on: November 12, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
I need to get my fix at the only dog cafe worth visiting in my town. I almost caved to weakness and adopted a dog.

Maybe I should try fostering.

Might have to start posting using gifs instead of words from now on. You've created a monster. ㅋㅋㅋ

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6127 on: November 12, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »

My students do, sometimes, but I asked them to.
I don't like formalities, so asked them to use my name or nickname.
But I still get teacher and name-teacher a lot too haha

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6128 on: November 13, 2018, 09:06:26 AM »
Well that's the full page spread for USA threads.   :sad:

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6129 on: November 13, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »
RIP Stan Lee. :'(

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #6130 on: November 13, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »

I reported a few of them for the obvious and petty trolling.  I doubt they'll be removed though.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6131 on: November 13, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »

I reported a few of them for the obvious and petty trolling.  I doubt they'll be removed though.

Pissing into the wind I'm afraid.

The site has been commandeered by a select few yanks of which at least 3 don't even live or work in Korea.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6132 on: November 13, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
RIP Stan Lee. :'(

I think this deserves a thread of it's own. R.I.P.
The World Ends With You

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #6133 on: November 13, 2018, 10:58:22 AM »
When I was at uni, I did a survey class about comics and the history and evolution of them. The lecturer hated Stan Lee. One class he brought a friend along as a guest speaker and the whole lecture was about how much of a crook Stan Lee was. This was around 2002, so pre-Marvel movie explosion.

They seemed to have an issue with him claiming the creation of several characters, which he didn't actually create.

Anyway, I'll always remember him as the old man at the start of the hulk and Iron man cartoons in the early 90s.  And just wanting him to shut up with his spiel so that the cartoon could start. RIP
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6134 on: November 13, 2018, 03:19:47 PM »
I hate it when I see that a thread I'm interested in has been bumped, only to find after clicking it that it was bumped by ESL Turtle. I need to be more vigilant about checking who the most recent poster is before clicking on things. I've managed to train myself to avoid any gogators bumps, so I think I can manage.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #6135 on: November 14, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »
I've always wondered what British people do when faced with teaching phonics here.  How does it work?

I was thinking about how the word "top" might be written as 탑 which for Brits is "tap".

"Tap" might be written as 텝 which for Brits is "tep".

It melts my brain because Korean actually has that British "hard A" sound (아) but it completely disappears when Koreans speak English.

Oglop, you're a fellow Brit aren't you?  What's been your experience with teaching phonics in Korea?

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6136 on: November 14, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
I've always wondered what British people do when faced with teaching phonics here.  How does it work?

I was thinking about how the word "top" might be written as 탑 which for Brits is "tap".

It melts my brain because Korean actually has that British "hard A" sound (아) but it completely disappears when Koreans speak English.

Oglop, you're a fellow Brit aren't you?  What's been your experience with teaching phonics in Korea?
why would you translate english phonics words (e.g. top) to korean though? sounds like that would lead to all sorts of confusion.

if i'm teaching the short 'o' sound, i'll just say it as i always say it, show them the english word, and correct them if need be. i literally use 0 korean/hangeul in my classes, ever

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6137 on: November 14, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »

The minute you show Koreans that English sounds can be "made" using Hangeul, then they transliterate everything into Hangeul, and use it to pronounce everything.  Then you get the pronunciation mess of led / red berry /very and joo / zoo that they can never drop, even when you tell them that pronunciation will make up 25% of their oral score in exams.  Hangeul can be a tool for reading, but only once the "correct" English pronunciation (as per teacher) has been established. 

When Hangeul is allowed from the start (AS Korean teachers think that teaching via Hangeul will take a week to learn the alphabet, rather than a couple of month with correct pronunciation exploring the range of each letter and simple blends) The Koreans will follow the Korean rules of pronunciation, not only for single sounds, but for blends as well.  This means that a single syllable word such as "STRIPE", will be stretched out to "스트라이프".  But as the Korean "teachers" learnt this way (and think it is correct), so they pass it on this way, and the circle continues.  It is all about ticking boxes: Did they learn how to say the alphabet? TICK.  Did they learn properly?  Doesn't matter, they learnt it!

It is ironic, if you utter a single sylable of Korean wrong, you get looked at like you have three heads, yet Koreans think this magical scientific system of Hangeul is so great it can do everything.

It is berry berry gut por suhpeeking doh Ingrishee well.  Mahee paboreet coror is led!

British (range) of pronunciation should not be concerned until phonics are put in order!

Dear Korea, Hangeul is an amazing system for learning and reading KOREAN.  After that, it is adequate at best.  Keep it out of the early years English classroom!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:57:28 AM by sligo »

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #6138 on: November 14, 2018, 10:05:06 AM »

why would you translate english phonics words (e.g. top) to korean though? sounds like that would lead to all sorts of confusion.

if i'm teaching the short 'o' sound, i'll just say it as i always say it, show them the english word, and correct them if need be. i literally use 0 korean/hangeul in my classes, ever

Ah yeah sorry I wasn't clear.  I was pointing out that the word top is pronounced by Koreans as closer to how we would pronounce "tap" (and used hangeul to make the point).  Sorry for the confusion...I would also never use hangeul to help with pronounciation in a class.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6139 on: November 14, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »
just say it as you usually would. never had a problem with any students misunderstanding me. the more exposure to different accents the better really. many of my adult students only understand american english (because that's all they learnt), and they often go on business trips across asia or europe and can't understand anything