December 11, 2018, 01:02:05 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 846352 times)

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5600 on: July 10, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »
One thing you should never do or allow to be done is to be compared to the previous NET. It's bang out of order. The previous NET did this and that, why won't you do it? **** that.

Also, never do this with a new girlfriend.

"What do you mean no oral? The previous NET did all the time."

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5601 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:04 PM »
One thing you should never do or allow to be done is to be compared to the previous NET. It's bang out of order. The previous NET did this and that, why won't you do it? **** that.

hahahahahahaha.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5602 on: July 10, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »

hahahahahahaha.

lolz
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #5603 on: July 11, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »
Life advice needed!

My brother is getting married soon and I'm going to give money as a gift.

The problem is I have absolutely no idea what an appropriate amount is for a wedding gift.  I don't want to be cheap and at the same time I don't want to appear flashy. 

I'm not able to attend the wedding though so I feel like I should be "more generous" if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

EDIT:  I've Googled this and the range has been from 30 (that is ridiculous surely?) to around 250. Even 250 seems a bit stingy to me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:15:42 AM by alexisalex »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5604 on: July 11, 2018, 09:18:29 AM »
Give what you responsibly can and want to.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5605 on: July 11, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
Life advice needed!

The problem is I have absolutely no idea what an appropriate amount is for a wedding gift.  I don't want to be cheap and at the same time I don't want to appear flashy. 

I'm not able to attend the wedding though so I feel like I should be "more generous" if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

EDIT:  I've Googled this and the range has been from 30 (that is ridiculous surely?) to around 250. Even 250 seems a bit stingy to me.

Probably 300-500, I'd say. It would also depend on if you've had other siblings or not getting married, what you all normally give as gifts for other occasions, and the like. Maybe you could also look into buying a visa card for petrol, or another kind of gift card. But yeah, it is more down to what you're comfortable with.

donovan

« Reply #5606 on: July 12, 2018, 05:30:19 AM »
In Korea the minimum is a) enough to cover your buffet ticket or b) as much as they gave you for yours. Of course the closer the relative, the more you should give.

In America, a 700 gsm towel set or its cash equivalent.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5607 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
Life advice needed!

Any ideas?

250 pounds is around $500NZD (give or take a little), personally, I see that as too much.
Though, probably around the mark if you can't attend in person.
My step brother is getting married in Feb, I got asked to not buy / bring a gift if I attend in person, as it will cost a lot for me to get back home for the wedding.
If I was in NZ still and attended the wedding, I'd probably spend around $100 - $150NZD (Roughly 50 - 75 pounds) on a gift for a wedding.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #5608 on: July 12, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
My gf's (4 yrs) brother got married last yr and I was at the wedding and in a bunch of the wedding photos also. Gf wanted to help them go on the honeymoon to china. She gave 1.5mill and I gave 500k won. To much? I never know about these things.
 I did just 100CAD at one of my best friends wedding but I had to fly across the country to get there. I guess what you feel comfortable with. It will be recorded for the rest of time lol.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #5609 on: July 12, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
I just received an email from my PoE asking if I will take the key money and move (end of August)....and they have to know by the end of the day.  Ummmm, depends! and WTF?!

Options:

Key $ over 10,000 won
Rent no more than 400,000 won
They move me at their expense
Same size or bigger place
have a porch or outdoor space (as I have now)
modern shower (that's a stretch but I seriously HATE wet bathrooms.... )

I know I'm asking a lot, but moving sucks, especially in the height of Hell (aka summer) and during my vacation to boot.  The building I'm in is a total sh*t hole.  The elevator works when it wants to, so I hoof it up and down 8 flights everyday.  I have no life line (they've yet to install it) they are just NOW replacing the expired fire extinguishers. And they're asking me to move....  I'd really like to know why but at the same time, I couldn't careless.  I'm guessing they have too many intakes for August.   

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5610 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
I just received an email from my PoE asking if I will take the key money and move (end of August)....and they have to know by the end of the day.  Ummmm, depends! and WTF?!

Options:

Key $ over 10,000 won
Rent no more than 400,000 won
They move me at their expense
Same size or bigger place
have a porch or outdoor space (as I have now)
modern shower (that's a stretch but I seriously HATE wet bathrooms.... )

I know I'm asking a lot, but moving sucks, especially in the height of Hell (aka summer) and during my vacation to boot.  The building I'm in is a total sh*t hole.  The elevator works when it wants to, so I hoof it up and down 8 flights everyday.  I have no life line (they've yet to install it) they are just NOW replacing the expired fire extinguishers. And they're asking me to move....  I'd really like to know why but at the same time, I couldn't careless.  I'm guessing they have too many intakes for August.

Maybe try to negotiate them paying half of the moving fees also?

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #5611 on: July 12, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »
My school's 2 week English Camp just got cancelled due to renovations. I now have 2 extra weeks vacation. Also i have the staff room all to myself this year. I can be noisy and play music and many other things you wouldn't do if you had other people working in the same room.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #5612 on: July 12, 2018, 11:25:47 AM »
My school's 2 week English Camp just got cancelled due to renovations. I now have 2 extra weeks vacation. Also i have the staff room all to myself this year. I can be noisy and play music and many other things you wouldn't do if you had other people working in the same room.

Oh!  So jealous!! 

Have fun!!! 

donovan

« Reply #5613 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »

My school's summer vacation was almost lengthened due to asbestos removal, precluding any camp at the same time, but they decided to do it in the winter instead when I'll already be gone, which means that our summer vacation is shortened to nine days now. The consolation was that it was going to be too short to hold camp, but then they announced that camp was back on for eight out of the nine days. Then they announced that I'd be teaching twice the amount of time that we had been doing previously during camps.  :cry:

#thestruggleisreal

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5614 on: July 12, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »

Unless those people are Koreans!

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5615 on: July 12, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »

Don't know about your POE but this year mine have sent out official documents saying teachers shouldn't have to do the 1/2 days of work they were required to do before.
Usually one teacher has to be in school to answer the phones and do "stuff" on NEIS but now they can do it from home.

It's caused a little bit of drama in some schools around my area. Some principals are defying the orders saying Teachers should have to come in anyway, however the teachers are fighting back. It's really interesting. Anyway now there will be less people at school during those lonely deskwarming days  :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5616 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »
So today's weather is fairly warm, and my students smell soooo ****** much. Their bodies haven't had time to acclimate to the higher temperature because it's been rather mild so far and the weather can't seem to make up its mind about what it wants to do.

Anyone who thinks that Korean sweat doesn't smell needs to take a walk through my school today.

Some of these kids literally smell like they'd just walked through dog crap. But none of them have. Their sweat is just that strange and disgusting today.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:39:43 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5617 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:22 AM »
Real concerns about moving home: Will I ever stop doing the double wave when I say hello or goodbye?

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #5618 on: July 13, 2018, 07:27:56 AM »
Real concerns about moving home: Will I ever stop doing the double wave when I say hello or goodbye?

I did the double wave in between studying here and coming back to teach. I think you really have to commit, if you're gonna do it. I guess people generally think I'm kind of goofy, so I can get away with it. So... quit or commit. At this point, I don't think I could stop if I tried.

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5619 on: July 13, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
Had the same discussion about bowing. Many people who have moved back we're saying they still have a tendency to do a slight dip on occasion.