August 20, 2018, 10:11:59 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 746128 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5320 on: May 10, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »
Why isn't England in the English section??? Is it the unlabeled purple section next to Malaysia?
Included in the UK section, I presume.
[/quote]

I am an idiot. hahahaha It's not even like I didn't know that the UK is the overarching place, I didn't even........... see it? I need more sleep.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5321 on: May 10, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »
Why isn't England in the English section??? Is it the unlabeled purple section next to Malaysia?
Included in the UK section, I presume.

I am an idiot. hahahaha It's not even like I didn't know that the UK is the overarching place, I didn't even........... see it? I need more sleep.
[/quote]

Also, the purple section labeled + is "others".

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5322 on: May 10, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
Kyndo got the skills to pay the bills.

Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5323 on: May 10, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
I know you're all going to hit me with a 1000 reasons why I'm wrong.
Here's one reason.

I'm not understanding the picture TBH. I'm not sure if it's just going over my head, I'm still too tired to think about it enough, or if I'm just a dumb-dumb head. :o (probably the latter)

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5324 on: May 10, 2018, 10:41:33 AM »
I'm of the opinion that people are either [naturally] good at pronunciation or they're not (though, like with most skills, I do think that repeated exposure and practice can potentially lead to improvement).  I taught kids way out in the boonies where hagwons don't exist and [English speaking] foreigners are exceptionally rare.  I was pleasantly surprised at how [relatively, yes] good a lot of the kids' pronunciations were.  Many were able to follow and repeat pretty darn well my way of pronouncing things.  And yes, some students did have heavier Korean accents than others. 

Some languages do not Romanize well.  Korean is one of them.  Similarly, applying the Korean way of pronouncing things onto other languages such as English generally just does not yield good results.  I'm not opposed to struggling, low English level students using hangeul because I'd rather the students participate and feel included.  But once anyone gets past the basics (whether for English or Korean or whatever), I think it's more detrimental than beneficial to continue using one's native language as a crutch.

I'm in a spot like that now. My new first graders have great pronunciation.
Actually, one of my co-teachers is a young Korean lady. Her pronunciation is pretty good too. Yesterday in class, she was helping the super low level student, and she mistakenly sad "Dog-gu" instead of "dog". We both, and the students as well, had a pretty good laugh at that haha.

I rarely use hangul in my lessons. The rare times I do use it, is I have something in one of my ppt slides of something that is very difficult to explain simply. And it's never used for pronunciation, just for them to understand what it is (by reading the Korean word of it).

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5325 on: May 10, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
I'm of the opinion that people are either [naturally] good at pronunciation or they're not (though, like with most skills, I do think that repeated exposure and practice can potentially lead to improvement).  I taught kids way out in the boonies where hagwons don't exist and [English speaking] foreigners are exceptionally rare.  I was pleasantly surprised at how [relatively, yes] good a lot of the kids' pronunciations were.  Many were able to follow and repeat pretty darn well my way of pronouncing things.  And yes, some students did have heavier Korean accents than others. 

Some languages do not Romanize well.  Korean is one of them.  Similarly, applying the Korean way of pronouncing things onto other languages such as English generally just does not yield good results.  I'm not opposed to struggling, low English level students using hangeul because I'd rather the students participate and feel included.  But once anyone gets past the basics (whether for English or Korean or whatever), I think it's more detrimental than beneficial to continue using one's native language as a crutch.

Actually, one of my co-teachers is a young Korean lady. Her pronunciation is pretty good too. Yesterday in class, she was helping the super low level student, and she mistakenly sad "Dog-gu" instead of "dog". We both, and the students as well, had a pretty good laugh at that haha.

I rarely use hangul in my lessons. The rare times I do use it, is I have something in one of my ppt slides of something that is very difficult to explain simply. And it's never used for pronunciation, just for them to understand what it is (by reading the Korean word of it).
I think that some minimum of hangeul can be helpful with, as you mentioned, difficult concepts etc.

I also like to point out that transliterations of English words into Korean script using Korean writing conventions inevitably lead to atrocities like "아이스크림" I encourage students to use hangeul in a linear way to prevent the addition of a bajillion additional syllables: "ㅏㅣㅅㅋㄹ ㅣㅁ".  The kids get a kick out of it, and it emphasizes how the pronunciation of the two languages is fundamentally different.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5326 on: May 10, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »

I think that some minimum of hangeul can be helpful with, as you mentioned, difficult concepts etc.

I also like to point out that transliterations of English words into Korean script using Korean writing conventions inevitably lead to atrocities like "아이스크림" I encourage students to use hangeul in a linear way to prevent the addition of a bajillion additional syllables: "ㅏㅣㅅㅋㄹ ㅣㅁ".  The kids get a kick out of it, and it emphasizes how the pronunciation of the two languages is fundamentally different.

That's awesome.

I know myself that when I read Korean, I always think of ㅎ as H, etc., because I never learned the names of Korean letters. Thinking in syllables led to a big jump in my Korean reading speed, even though compression is still very weak.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5327 on: May 10, 2018, 12:47:20 PM »

That's awesome.

I know myself that when I read Korean, I always think of ㅎ as H, etc., because I never learned the names of Korean letters. Thinking in syllables led to a big jump in my Korean reading speed, even though compression is still very weak.

I've just started learning hangul recently. The teachers that come to my teachers workshop, are trying to help me by telling me the names of the hangul. But personally, I'm feeling like it isn't helping. When they start telling me the names. It is confusing me to no end. Maybe once I'm better versed with the hangul, and am ready for the sounds of them, it'll be a big help though!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5328 on: May 10, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »

That's awesome.

I've just started learning hangul recently. The teachers that come to my teachers workshop, are trying to help me by telling me the names of the hangul. But personally, I'm feeling like it isn't helping. When they start telling me the names. It is confusing me to no end. Maybe once I'm better versed with the hangul, and am ready for the sounds of them, it'll be a big help though!

It is helpful though because a ㅂ isn't always a ㅂ. haha. Like 밥 is not bab. It's bap. ㅂ at the beginning is b, at the end it's a p sound. Which is why the letters are called 비읍, Bi-eup. 리을 Ri-eul etc

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5329 on: May 10, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »

That's awesome.

Actually, learning the names will help a lot, as the name is the sound it represents at the top, then the bottom of the syllable you write.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5330 on: May 10, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »

That's awesome.

It is helpful though because a ㅂ isn't always a ㅂ. haha. Like 밥 is not bab. It's bap. ㅂ at the beginning is b, at the end it's a p sound. Which is why the letters are called 비읍, Bi-eup. 리을 Ri-eul etc

Yeah, I understand that. But it's not helping me, personally. When they call it Bi-eup, Ri-eul or whatever. I just get confused and makes it harder, for me personally, to learn. The book I'm learning from, while it doesn't use the hangul names, what it does do, is give me rules on how to use them: like the beginning is a 'b' sound and a 'p' sound at the end.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5331 on: May 10, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
I have a night class at a countryside middle school every Tuesday.  There are only ten students in total but three of them are impossible.  Two boys and a girl.  I forgot how countryside middle school students lack concentration.  One third-grade boy in particular, is an okay kid, but he just can't concentrate for more than a minute without joking to his friends, falling off his chair or making a noise.  So I sent him out this week, for the third time in seven classes.  After class, I get in my car to go home and start to drive off.  He comes up to my car and says he missed the last bus into the city (about 16kms).  'Teacher, please, together, go!'  So I ummed and ahhed and said ok.  He explained in the car that while he was running for the bus with his mouth open, he swallowed a moth, that was why he missed the bus.   :rolleyes:  :laugh:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5332 on: May 10, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »

Actually, learning the names will help a lot, as the name is the sound it represents at the top, then the bottom of the syllable you write.

Knowing this will really help your pronunciation and also help you ask how to spell something if you need to. If you're just making the sound and not saying the character name, people are going to be mad confused.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5333 on: May 11, 2018, 07:04:39 AM »
We had a visit from our Provincial Education Superintendent this week.  My students were a little dumbfounded by a: he comes in a chauffeur-driven car and b: he gets makeup put on him when he gets out of the car.  :rolleyes:

Also I met with my Korean friend who works at a different high school.  We were talking about his P and VP.  He told me that they are obsessed with their students getting into Seoul University.  So much so that my friend and other teachers have been told to 'identify' the new 1st grade students that they think can go to Seoul Uni and focus mainly on them for three years.  How many from that high school went to Seoul University last year?  3  :rolleyes:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #5334 on: May 11, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
We had a visit from our Provincial Education Superintendent this week.  My students were a little dumbfounded by a: he comes in a chauffeur-driven car and b: he gets makeup put on him when he gets out of the car.  :rolleyes:
It's amazing the things like that, that people with even a little bit of power in this country get.
At the uni I used to work at, the President also had a chauffer driven car. Every morning his lackeys would be waiting for him to arrive. They would open his door for him, give him a cup of something, tea or coffee i guess, as soon as he stepped out of the car, and rush beside him with their heads lowered as he walked the few feet to his office. If it was raining they would drive round the back of the building and up the wheelchair ramp so as to not get a single drop of rain on this poor guy's head.

The foreign teachers were presented with some certificate for our "excellent work". We had to go into his office. It was like a royal court. Plebs running around, opening and closing things, pulling out his chair, picking up his pen and handing it to him, so that he didn't have to lower his wrist like 7cm. All this for the president of a small-mid sized, provincial univeristy with a couple of thousand students.

When I was at uni, back in the mists of time, it was one of the biggest in the Southern hemisphere, top 100 ranked in the world, with about 35,000 attending. The Chancellor would ride the bus to work each day.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5335 on: May 11, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
It's amazing the things like that, that people with even a little bit of power in this country get.
At the uni I used to work at, the President also had a chauffer driven car. Every morning his lackeys would be waiting for him to arrive. They would open his door for him, give him a cup of something, tea or coffee i guess, as soon as he stepped out of the car, and rush beside him with their heads lowered as he walked the few feet to his office. If it was raining they would drive round the back of the building and up the wheelchair ramp so as to not get a single drop of rain on this poor guy's head.

The foreign teachers were presented with some certificate for our "excellent work". We had to go into his office. It was like a royal court. Plebs running around, opening and closing things, pulling out his chair, picking up his pen and handing it to him, so that he didn't have to lower his wrist like 7cm. All this for the president of a small-mid sized, provincial univeristy with a couple of thousand students.

Right.  President of a big company earning loads of money, fine.  President of Korea?  No problems.  Why are they wasting taxpayers money hiring someone to drive around and fix the makeup of someone in 'education'?  He's old, he's got the job because he's old.  Don't treat him like royalty.  A while back, my middle school had an exchange with a school in California.  When the principal and teachers came over here, my school teachers were amazed that their principal was black and also in his late thirties.  Really lovely guy, and obviously got his job through numerous interviews and on merit.  It's like my high school is an 'Innovation' high school, but the innovative ideas are made by teachers in their mid-fifties.  There is nothing innovative about what they are doing.   The decisions are being made by the top with little discussion with the further down people who are more 'innovative'.  It is like your old president, all of this crap is making him detached from anything useful. 

I really need to move back to Scandinavia. 

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5336 on: May 11, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
I made an Native English Teacher Bingo board. I'm attaching the word file so have at it if you are so inclined.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:44:20 PM by robin_teacher »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5337 on: May 11, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »
I made an Native English Teacher Bingo board. I'm attaching the word file so have at it if you are so inclined.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is this meant to be played within one day or what? 

My condolences for those who get bingo if the former. 

There are only about 8 of these I haven't experienced (got 3 bingos!)  :laugh:

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5338 on: May 11, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is this meant to be played within one day or what? 

My condolences for those who get bingo if the former. 

There are only about 8 of these I haven't experienced (got 3 bingos!)  :laugh:

Oh yeah, this is daily bingo. I'm having a productive day, as you can see.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5339 on: May 11, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »
*Sees an interesting thread has been bumped.*

*Almost clicks it.*

*Sees it was bumped by ESL Turtle.*

*Finds something else to do instead.*