September 21, 2018, 10:03:04 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 770243 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4900 on: March 08, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
Interesting revelation today, a lot of my advanced students don't care for BINGO, even though that's the number 1 filler game my students beg for in general. I'm wondering if they'd like it more if I did a super speed version of it.

But since they've separated the advanced students into their own classes this year, I think I'm just gonna abandon BINGO for those classes altogether and experiment with it another time. This will give me a chance to play games that were met with lukewarm results in the past because a lot of the students considered them too difficult.

They asked for hard. I'm not gonna hold back, lol. xD

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4901 on: March 13, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
Someone has been smoking in the downstairs women's bathroom at my main school. I could smell it as soon as I walked in.  Evidence was probably flushed. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4902 on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »
Someone has been smoking in the downstairs women's bathroom at my main school. I could smell it as soon as I walked in.  Evidence was probably flushed.

Smoking was such a problem for my school last year that they had a lot of special meetings over what to do about it. One meeting stretched on for about three hours, according to one of my coTs.

In the past we'd have that handful of students who would hide their indiscretion in some hidden corner of the school outside, but last year there were a lot of students getting caught doing it in the bathrooms or right out in the open by the school gates.

Doesn't really help when, like, 95% of the male teachers are heavy smokers themselves. They can't smell shit. xD

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4903 on: March 13, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »

Smoking was such a problem for my school last year that they had a lot of special meetings over what to do about it. One meeting stretched on for about three hours, according to one of my coTs.

In the past we'd have that handful of students who would hide their indiscretion in some hidden corner of the school outside, but last year there were a lot of students getting caught doing it in the bathrooms or right out in the open by the school gates.

Doesn't really help when, like, 95% of the male teachers are heavy smokers themselves. They can't smell shit. xD

At the countryside middle school I taught at years ago a few boys used to smoke in the toilets.  I'd see them, pull them out, stick outside the teachers room.  If I'm honest, I don't care if students try smoking, just don't have the bare-faced cheek to smoke like you don't give a shit if you get caught or not.  At another countryside middle school, that was attached to a high school, the high school boys used to smoke by the middle school.  So much so that my middle school students were very curious when they saw them.  One time, my co-teacher walked past one little high school shit who was smoking, and said 'Hey, you can't smoke here!' 'You're not my teacher' came his reply.  Wow!  That would have been pow time!  There is just nothing to stop them, they aren't going to be suspended or expelled.  At least, when we did it, it was hiding somewhere and then eating toothpaste after to cover the smell.   :laugh:  It was more honourable.    :undecided:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4904 on: March 13, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
At the countryside middle school I taught at years ago a few boys used to smoke in the toilets.  I'd see them, pull them out, stick outside the teachers room.  If I'm honest, I don't care if students try smoking, just don't have the bare-faced cheek to smoke like you don't give a shit if you get caught or not. At another countryside middle school, that was attached to a high school, the high school boys used to smoke by the middle school.  So much so that my middle school students were very curious when they saw them.  One time, my co-teacher walked past one little high school shit who was smoking, and said 'Hey, you can't smoke here!' 'You're not my teacher' came his reply.  Wow!  That would have been pow time!  There is just nothing to stop them, they aren't going to be suspended or expelled.  At least, when we did it, it was hiding somewhere and then eating toothpaste after to cover the smell.   :laugh:  It was more honourable.    :undecided:

That's pretty much what it is for me, too, just because students who are excessively arrogant about doing things they know aren't permitted are basically challenging authority and pushing to see how far they can take their behavior. It's literally a give-them-an-inch-they-take-it-a-mile kind of thing.

You want to smoke? Fine, but you better not let me catch you doing it on school property. xD

My first middle school was an all-boys school that sat on top of a wooded hill, so there were a lot of places the boys could sneak off to for a secret smoke. The thing is, they had a favorite spot, and I could see it right from my classroom window. And they KNEW I could see them. xD Still, it was a big surprise to them when four of the scariest teachers of the school "discovered" them not five minutes later.  :undecided:

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4905 on: March 13, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »
When I was in high school several students smoked. They did it in the bathroom. If you walked in the bathroom, your clothes smelled like smoke when you walked out.  The teachers wouldn't do anything about because the principal would not support them.  He told them they had to catch the student with the cigarette in hand.  The teachers weren't about to start opening the stall doors, and I don't blame them for that.  Still, I always hated having to use the bathroom at school.

One year I had to share a locker with a girl whose parents smoked.  She didn't smoke herself, but her coat smelled, which made my coat hanging next to it in an enclosed space smell just as bad. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4906 on: March 13, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Yeah, cigarette smoke is some heavy, sticky stuff. My dad was a heavy smoker when I was a kid. He quit while I was just starting high school, and I found out from a few new classmates that they'd always assumed that I was a smoker because I always smelled like cigarettes, lol. I hadn't realized it because I was noseblind to it at the time (been around it for too long). Now, I can't stand the smell of it. It literally makes me feel ill.

Most Korean students I come across are paranoid about smelling bad, though, so from what I've seen and heard about in general they avoid anything that could leave them reeking. This includes wandering into bathrooms that smell like cigarette smoke. They'll just walk farther out to a different bathroom. Last year, though, I'm pretty sure that the student body knew which bathrooms and areas to avoid at certain times of the day.

The students always know.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4907 on: March 13, 2018, 12:32:01 PM »
I have no idea why I keep ordering  dwaejigukbap for lunch when I go my usual restaurant on my travel school days. Itís like they find the fattiest and generally ghastliest pieces of pork they can find and plonk it in my meal. I end up picking all the meat out so essentially Iím paying for a broth, rice and side dishes. Iím a meat eater for life, though.

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #4908 on: March 13, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
I hope and pray that one day smoking will be a things of the past. I get annoyed when someone pollutes my air with their smoke. As if the general air pollution is not bad enough. I feel like saying to people "hey do you feel like some more pollution today" when they smoke. Even getting in the elevator is bad enough after a smoker. On weekend nights you also get the Soju smell in the elevator too - in my apartment.  I am sensitive to smells. At least its on the decline i think.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4909 on: March 13, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
I hope and pray that one day smoking will be a things of the past. I get annoyed when someone pollutes my air with their smoke. As if the general air pollution is not bad enough. I feel like saying to people "hey do you feel like some more pollution today" when they smoke. Even getting in the elevator is bad enough after a smoker. On weekend nights you also get the Soju smell in the elevator too - in my apartment.  I am sensitive to smells. At least its on the decline i think.

I hope smoking will be a thing of the past too, but right now, I get annoyed when people pollute my smoke with their presence.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4910 on: March 13, 2018, 01:44:49 PM »

Yeah. It's so gross. And such an imposition on those around you. Stay in your hole if you want to smoke. And then change your clothes after finishing. Because you smell like stale shit.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #4911 on: March 16, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
I can't figure out whether my new main co-teacher is being short with me or it's just the way she uses English. For example, she is in a different office from me so when she comes into my office I will greet her. Today is a testing day and so I understand she is busy but when I simply waved and said hi as she came in, she said "I'm busy" and walked out. There are other incidences similar to this. But other times she can be perfectly pleasant.  :undecided:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4912 on: March 16, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
I can't figure out whether my new main co-teacher is being short with me or it's just the way she uses English. For example, she is in a different office from me so when she comes into my office I will greet her. Today is a testing day and so I understand she is busy but when I simply waved and said hi as she came in, she said "I'm busy" and walked out. There are other incidences similar to this. But other times she can be perfectly pleasant.  :undecided:

It might be the way she uses English. A lot of Koreans directly translate everything into Korean in their brains. So when you said hello, she thought, 안녕하세요, which technically means, Are you well? So in her head she thought, no, I'm not well, I'm so busy. I had a coteacher explain that to me in my first year.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4913 on: March 16, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »
The admin lady in our teachers' room, on the other side of the room, has been sniffing every 20 seconds for the last three days.  Do you think I could sneak over and stuff some toilet roll up her nose?

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4914 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »
The admin lady in our teachers' room, on the other side of the room, has been sniffing every 20 seconds for the last three days.  Do you think I could sneak over and stuff some toilet roll up her nose?

If it's been for the past three days, I think you're doing her a favor at this point.   :laugh:
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4915 on: March 16, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
Does anyone else find themselves eating and snacking more frequently whenever they don't get enough sleep, especially when it's over the course of several days, even when not hungry or after having just eaten?

I've had enough of these chips, but I keep catching myself eating them. This always happens when I'm sleep-deprived.

I'm just going to sleep through the entire weekend. TGIF

Only if it's the whole roll.

Offline midori951

• Veteran
  • Bang Bang!
« Reply #4916 on: March 16, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
Does anyone else find themselves eating and snacking more frequently whenever they don't get enough sleep, especially when it's over the course of several days, even when not hungry or after having just eaten?

I've had enough of these chips, but I keep catching myself eating them. This always happens when I'm sleep-deprived.

I'm just going to sleep through the entire weekend. TGIF

Only if it's the whole roll.

I would say that snacking also happens to me when im  tired, or sleep deprived. One thing Ive changed in my diet since I caught on was cut out all sugar (fruit is good in moderation), and low carb diet. I also started working out alot more and its a great way to clear my mind and make going to sleep easier. I also always make time to get enough sleep. If you are having issues falling asleep, try not looking at screens in bed and an hour or two before you actually want to sleep.

Offline wherever dreaming goes

• Adventurer
« Reply #4917 on: March 16, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
uurrrrggggg co-workers! why do they have to be such american wannabe assholes!!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4918 on: March 19, 2018, 10:08:44 AM »
Speaking of snacks, I just got a basil-pesto potato chip that I'm looking forward to trying soon.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4919 on: March 19, 2018, 02:08:42 PM »
Speaking of snacks, I just got a basil-pesto potato chip that I'm looking forward to trying soon.

I was massively dissappointed by them.  The flavour was neither here nor there