November 18, 2018, 09:14:16 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 813978 times)

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4180 on: October 31, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »
The third graders were disappointed that they didn't get a Halloween themed class or candy today. I explained that it's a public school, not a hagwon, so we'd be having a normal class. Maybe it was a bit dry of me to just do a normal class, but throwing candy at students and making English class one big party just isn't my style these days.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4181 on: October 31, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »
The third graders were disappointed that they didn't get a Halloween themed class or candy today. I explained that it's a public school, not a hagwon, so we'd be having a normal class. Maybe it was a bit dry of me to just do a normal class, but throwing candy at students and making English class one big party just isn't my style these days.
    I dunno. I feel that it's not that difficult to dress up a normal class with a few Halloween tidbits, and the students really appreciate even a minimal effort.

For example, start class with a 5 minute Halloween vocabulary quiz. Then present your regular book vocabulary in a Halloween themed .ppt etc.
Holidays like this make it easy to be the super happy fun teacher... even if you're just pushing subordinating conjunctions in disguise at the poor SOBs.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4182 on: October 31, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
    I dunno. I feel that it's not that difficult to dress up a normal class with a few Halloween tidbits, and the students really appreciate even a minimal effort.

For example, start class with a 5 minute Halloween vocabulary quiz. Then present your regular book vocabulary in a Halloween themed .ppt etc.
Holidays like this make it easy to be the super happy fun teacher... even if you're just pushing subordinating conjunctions in disguise at the poor SOBs.
I changed my desktop wallpaper to a Halloween theme today.  It was the first thing the students saw when class began.  It seemed to pique their interest and they seemed more attentive during the lesson.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4183 on: November 01, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
My CoT used some budget to get some masks and Halloween decorations. The kids loved it!

I had my students (G4) make a sentence from looking at a flash card ( as usual) while leaving the class and just adding "trick or treat" and then I gave them a vitamin c.

My grade 6 students had to create their own comparative sentence and then say the same thing.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4184 on: November 01, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »

i didn't do halloween class either. our english room got taken away last year and turned into a regular classroom. so i just teach in the homerooms now, which is a PIA.

sorry kids, no ways i'm hauling even minimal decorations around and sticking them up in every single one of 7 different homerooms. complain to the school about the fact that there's no english room anymore if you want to do cool shit in future.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4185 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »
... which is a PIA.
I've always hated this acronym. Wouldn't PItA be a better one? At the very least, it leaves confused people with a vague mental image of delicious Greek food.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4186 on: November 01, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Is it just me or are there all these brand new accounts floating around the lesson plans section saying stuff like "thanks for this" to create an artificial economy of new lesson plans? There haven't been any new lessons for months since the paywall came up and i'm slightly suspecting some foul play by the powers that be here.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4187 on: November 01, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »
PE teacher just gifted me 20,000 won as I'm leaving today.   :laugh: :laugh: 

Today has been emotionally taxing... this whole past week and a half, rather.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4188 on: November 01, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »
Is it just me or are there all these brand new accounts floating around the lesson plans section saying stuff like "thanks for this" to create an artificial economy of new lesson plans? There haven't been any new lessons for months since the paywall came up and i'm slightly suspecting some foul play by the powers that be here.
It's possible.
Another possibility is that it's the new August intake of EPIK/GEPIK teachers first discovering the site.
Also, Aliens. (Come visit! It's NICE over here!)

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4189 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »

Oh c'mon man, none of us have time for that sort of imaginary crap. I barely remember to login in here half the time. You're seeing a lot of those types of posts because a lot of Kteachers have been signing up and they need 5 posts to get access even if they pay. Stop imagining stuff that isn't there. There have always been those sort of posts ever since the 5 post minimum went up.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4190 on: November 01, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

Oh c'mon man, none of us have time for that sort of imaginary crap. I barely remember to login in here half the time. You're seeing a lot of those types of posts because a lot of Kteachers have been signing up and they need 5 posts to get access even if they pay. Stop imagining stuff that isn't there. There have always been those sort of posts ever since the 5 post minimum went up.

Oh I do apologise then. Still doesn't change the fact the there is no new material. I also thought it was against the t&cs to clutter the thread with stuff like 'thank you' but that's none of my business. Just having a pointless rant though so tell gagevt to keep his fingers off the purge button.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4191 on: November 01, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
It's possible.
Another possibility is that it's the new August intake of EPIK/GEPIK teachers first discovering the site.
Also, Aliens. (Come visit! It's NICE over here!)

Judging by Sean_irl's posts i wouldn't rule out aliens just yet.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4192 on: November 01, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »

Yeh,

But,

you know, like,

thing is,

we've not heard from him since his chilling posts,

huh?

how, do you, you, erm, like how do you explain that?

Spooky or wot?

Anytime a poster doesn't post, we just assume they left Korea.  Now we know the truth, they get abducted by aliens.  Donovan was last heard of somewhere near Uranus...

Spooky stuff going on lately.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4193 on: November 01, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »
Yeh,
But,
you know, like,
thing is,
we've not heard from him since his chilling posts,
huh?
how, do you, you, erm, like how do you explain that?
Spooky or wot?

Anytime a poster doesn't post, we just assume they left Korea.  Now we know the truth, they get abducted by aliens.  Donovan was last heard of somewhere near Uranus...
I dunno. Knowing Donovan, I think it's more likely for him to be doing the abducting than getting abducted!  :smiley:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4194 on: November 01, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure he left when he found out that the admin here was stealing people's work and lying about it. But it could have been before that.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4195 on: November 01, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure he left when he found out that the admin here was stealing people's work and lying about it. But it could have been before that.

I always assumed he stopped posting because his wife had a baby and he has his hands full now. 

He's probably (and rightly so) getting his head down and learning the sh*t out of Korean so he can actually communicate with his child in a few years' time.  Oh and getting them out of his one room apartment  :sad:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4196 on: November 01, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »

I always assumed he stopped posting because his wife had a baby and he has his hands full now. 

He's probably (and rightly so) getting his head down and learning the sh*t out of Korean so he can actually communicate with his child in a few years' time.  Oh and getting them out of his one room apartment  :sad:

Basically his last post:

Just finished deleting nearly all of my lesson plans.  Feel kind of sad... :sad:

Let's not jump to conclusions about his private life
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4197 on: November 01, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »

Basically his last post:

Just finished deleting nearly all of my lesson plans.  Feel kind of sad... :sad:

Let's not jump to conclusions about his private life

A gentleman if ever I met one.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4198 on: November 01, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »
Yep. Waygook is a darker, less funny place without him.  :sad:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4199 on: November 01, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »
Yep. Waygook is a darker, less funny place without him.  :sad:

No jam!!