March 27, 2019, 12:03:10 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 933306 times)

Online SanderB

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6320 on: March 06, 2019, 01:02:37 PM »
 ;D I heard there are loads of koreans there for some reason.
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6321 on: March 06, 2019, 01:09:58 PM »
;D I heard there are loads of koreans there for some reason.

In the province I'm from in NZ, all the Japanese restaurants are owned and run by Korean people. :p (there is only 3 - 4 in my hometown), not sure how many in the neighbouring towns though.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #6322 on: March 06, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
There are 30,000 Koreans in NZ. The majority of which live on the North Shore in Auckland. I did evening work at a Korean owned hagwon in Milford, though I didnt know what a hagwon was at the time, we just called it an extra tuition school, for NCEA English. And yes, almost every sushi shop is run by Koreans. There are actually bugger all permanent Japanese in NZ. Where are you from Kayos?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:33:59 PM by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6323 on: March 06, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »
There are 30,000 Koreans in NZ. The majority of which live on the North Shore in Auckland. I did evening work at a Korean owned hagwon, though I didnt know what a hagwon was at the time, we just called it an extra tuition school, for NCEA English. And yes, almost every sushi shop is run by Koreans. There are actually bugger all permanent Japanese in NZ. Where are you from Kayos?

Hastings. :p How about you?
Auckland has a decent number of Japanese people living in Auckland. I've made a bunch of friends who live/d there. (some went back to Japan though)

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #6324 on: March 06, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm from Auckland. Though who knows where I'll be living when we go back next year. Rent is a bit mental at the moment. My brother moved back from Melbourne last year for the birth of his kid. They are leaving for Christchurch tomorrow because they can't afford it in Auckland.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6325 on: March 06, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »
I'm from Auckland. Though who knows where I'll be living when we go back next year. Rent is a bit mental at the moment. My brother moved back from Melbourne last year for the birth of his kid. They are leaving for Christchurch tomorrow because they can't afford it in Auckland.

Yeah, Auckland is insane, I'd hate to live there now. 1 room apartments are like $350 per week, for the small shoebox sized places we get here, in central Auckland; But as you get further out, rent goes down, but the traffic gets insane.
If you start work at 9am, you usually have to leave around 5 - 6am to beat the traffic (this depends on where you are though).

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #6326 on: March 07, 2019, 08:22:38 AM »
saw this last night on r/Whatcouldgowrong and was crying and laughing at the same time.... just watched it again and had the same effect... the fizz opening the can...

two Danish guys trying to eat surstromming (Swedish rotten fish)

*if you don't like seeing people vomit, don't watch it.  with sound is also essential.

like Family guy

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6327 on: March 07, 2019, 08:32:13 AM »
"With teachers"... Even my CTs don't know what this one means... Frankly, I'm one hour short of the 22 minimum by my current schedule, so I hope this isn't going where I think it's going.  :-[
The World Ends With You

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #6328 on: March 07, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
"With teachers"... Even my CTs don't know what this one means... Frankly, I'm one hour short of the 22 minimum by my current schedule, so I hope this isn't going where I think it's going.  :-[

oof. Been there a few times. It was never as bad as i imagined it. I still dreaded it though.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6329 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »
The only fucks the guy opening the rotten fish tub gave was to specifically aim for his friend whenever he needed to release, lol.

Whenever that happens to me, it's basically just an "open" conversation class that you have with any teachers who would like to participate. Sometimes it's because it's something that the teachers wanted to begin with, but it's often just a way to fill in your schedule when they don't have enough student classes to give you.

What usually happens with me is anywhere between five to ten teachers show up for the first class, mostly English teachers for me but I've had teachers from other subjects show up. You find out what their levels are and try to determine what their interests and expectations are. Then you go from there.

The ones that show up for me are normally upper intermediate to advanced, and they normally only want to practice their English, so all I've ever really needed to do was to provide subjects that would instigate discussion from them, but I have to keep actively involved in the discussion (asking them questions, making them translate anything they say in Korean so that I can understand what's being said, etc.), or else they'll just start discussing everything in Korean.

Then the teachers get busy with other things and the numbers trickle down until only one to three of them continue to show up intermittently, lol.

I've never bothered coming up with anything more structured than that because the one time I did they expressed disinterest. They just wanted an English practice partner, and to hear how I pronounce and word things... and for a few of them to have a chance to find out more personal info about me, lol.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:46:00 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6330 on: March 07, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
Then the teachers get busy with other things and the numbers trickle down until only one to three of them continue to show up intermittently, lol.

This sounds like my previous after school classes lol But on the bright side, it doesn't sound like it'll take TOO much preparation if it is anything like you're describing. Might even be a way to bond with some of these teachers, a chance I haven't really had at my other schools.
The World Ends With You

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6331 on: March 07, 2019, 08:53:29 AM »

Hopefully it's just for show and you won't actually be doing a class for the teachers.  At my school they scheduled it but then told me that everyone is too busy to come haha.

I always get the impression that what gets reported on NEIS is nowhere close to the reality when it comes to things like that :laugh:

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6332 on: March 07, 2019, 08:58:58 AM »
The only fucks the guy opening the rotten fish tub gave was to specifically aim for his friend whenever he needed to release, lol.

Whenever that happens to me, it's basically just an "open" conversation class that you have with any teachers who would like to participate. Sometimes it's because it's something that the teachers wanted to begin with, but it's often just a way to fill in your schedule when they don't have enough student classes to give you.

What usually happens with me is anywhere between five to ten teachers show up for the first class, mostly English teachers for me but I've had teachers from other subjects show up. You find out what their levels are and try to determine what their interests and expectations are. Then you go from there.

The ones that show up for me are normally upper intermediate to advanced, and they normally only want to practice their English, so all I've ever really needed to do was to provide subjects that would instigate discussion from them, but I have to keep actively involved in the discussion (asking them questions, making them translate anything they say in Korean so that I can understand what's being said, etc.), or else they'll just start discussing everything in Korean.

I've never bothered coming up with anything more structured than that because the one time I did they expressed disinterest. They just wanted an English practice partner, and to hear how I pronounce and word things... and for a few of them to have a chance to find out more personal info about me, lol.

For me it goes: I get about 7 teachers in the first week, 1 - 3 the next, and then I don't see them again until the next semester where it repeats lol

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6333 on: March 07, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
What level do you guys teach? When I used to teach elementary, the schools always came up with stuff like that for me to do to make sure I hit 22 teaching hours, but once I changed over to middle school, they don't seem to be particularly bothered if I only end up with 20 or 21 classes. I don't think our contracts actually say we have to teach 22 hours minimum, rather that that's the number we can teach before they have to start paying us extra per class. Perhaps it varies by province?

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6334 on: March 07, 2019, 09:14:25 AM »
What level do you guys teach? When I used to teach elementary, the schools always came up with stuff like that for me to do to make sure I hit 22 teaching hours, but once I changed over to middle school, they don't seem to be particularly bothered if I only end up with 20 or 21 classes. I don't think our contracts actually say we have to teach 22 hours minimum, rather that that's the number we can teach before they have to start paying us extra per class. Perhaps it varies by province?

I'm high school and my average is about 18 I'd say.  I think it's quite bizarre when schools desperately try to fill your schedule to make 22.  The contract says we can teach up to 22, not that we must teach 22. 

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6335 on: March 07, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »

Middle school, I'm on 9 - 10 teaching hours per week.
I done elementary in my first year, but they were travel schools.

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #6336 on: March 07, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »

that's the thing.  it says 'actual class instruction shall not exceed 22 hours', some schools just interpret that as you 'have to teach', which is wrong.  i only have 18 hours, and nobody is rushing to find me more. also i get paid on the same day as the teachers and have done at a couple of other schools.  that makes more sense to me. again, there are schools who follow the contract religiously and others who are more relaxed.

i think there is, as mentioned before, a NEIS thing that is detached from the reality of the actual schedule.  schools at the end of the year have to show they've fulfilled their teaching criteria for the year.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6337 on: March 07, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »
that's the thing.  it says 'actual class instruction shall not exceed 22 hours', some schools just interpret that as you 'have to teach', which is wrong.  i only have 18 hours, and nobody is rushing to find me more. also i get paid on the same day as the teachers and have done at a couple of other schools.  that makes more sense to me. again, there are schools who follow the contract religiously and others who are more relaxed.

i think there is, as mentioned before, a NEIS thing that is detached from the reality of the actual schedule.  schools at the end of the year have to show they've fulfilled their teaching criteria for the year.

I'm not sure if this was a province wide thing, much less applicable for all EPIK teachers, but I know that my POE (Gyeong-buk) specifically phoned my schools to make sure that I was teaching 22 hours a week. No big deal, as I'm already teaching more than that (yay for overtime pay!), but I know that a lot of local teachers were annoyed with it. A friend of mine worked at a few small elementary schools and wasn't able to meet the 22 hours with regular classes, so her schools made her make up the difference with "telephone classes". They gave her a list of students phone numbers, and she was expected to phone them once or twice a week and have 15 minute conversations with the kiddos. Right. That went well.  :rolleyes:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #6338 on: March 07, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
They gave her a list of students phone numbers, and she was expected to phone them once or twice a week and have 15 minute conversations with the kiddos. Right. That went well.  :rolleyes:

On the last day of my special "These are the really slow grade 5 kids, help them catch up" class, we had some snacks and my co-teacher just told me to talk with them for 20 mins.

Like, they are the lowest level students......................... What the hell are we gonna talk about?

:police: Do you like snacks?

:cry: :shocked: :lipsrsealed: Yes.

:police: Do you like........................ X?

:cry: :shocked: :lipsrsealed: Yes.

:police: *looks at clock* "19 mins to go................................."
The joys of fauxtherhood