November 13, 2018, 02:24:26 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 807605 times)

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6120 on: November 09, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »
Does anyone else have students that refer to them by their first name?

"Teacher" is the most common I'm sure, followed by "Name Teacher." But some students have taken to calling me by my first name alone. Not that it bothers me, I'm just curious how often it happens.

At the beginning of the year when I meet new students I tell them that they can call me "Teacher" or just my first name; whichever they are more comfortable with.  It would feel weird if they called me "Mr LAST NAME".

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #6121 on: November 09, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
Wolfhound kept a bottle behind the bar and you had to ask for it but the one time I tried the guy was adamant they didn't have it.

What a Malt-teaser.

Good one.  Now you got me thinking about Malteasers.  Maybe they have something similar at Costco.  Anyways, this time of year after getting shafted for Canadian Thanksgiving it's time to root out American Thanksgiving fare.  Good thing this is the pointless rambling thread.  One class today due to field trips and I may be lurking on here.

Oh god now I'm thinking about Crunchie bars. 

Fish and chips with salt and vinegar, followed by a Crunchie for dessert.  Heaven!

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #6122 on: November 09, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »

"Teacher" is the most common I'm sure, followed by "Name Teacher." But some students have taken to calling me by my first name alone. Not that it bothers me, I'm just curious how often it happens.

At the beginning of the year when I meet new students I tell them that they can call me "Teacher" or just my first name; whichever they are more comfortable with.  It would feel weird if they called me "Mr LAST NAME".

When I tutored in the US, the program I worked with had the students call us Miss/Mr. FIRST NAME (elementary students addressing college students). I use that with my students too, and it works for me - not too formal, not too informal (in my opinion).

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6123 on: November 09, 2018, 11:32:38 AM »

When I tutored in the US, the program I worked with had the students call us Miss/Mr. FIRST NAME (elementary students addressing college students). I use that with my students too, and it works for me - not too formal, not too informal (in my opinion).

That's how I do it, too, though it's also in large part because "Tim" is easier for them to pronounce than my last name would be.  :laugh:

I'm strict about it, though. At the beginning of the year during my introductory presentation, I let them know that that's what they're to call me, and that I won't even respond to them if they call me anything else, haha.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6124 on: November 09, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »

No, but I have a nickname that many of the male students will call me when other teachers aren't around, lol.

It's nothing bad, it's a term of endearment that has a story behind it, but the KTs don't like it when students call any teachers anything but "teacher" or "[Name] Teacher".

Generally speaking, they only ever call me "teacher." I'm not too personally strict about what they call me as long as there's a title involved in there somehow and/or it's not intentionally/inherently disrespectful.

I've known some teachers who not only allowed but also insisted on being called by their first names alone, and they never had any problems associated with it, but I think that really comes down to the attitudes of the kids and the community/environments they're coming from (helps provide you with their possible motives). In one area, they could just think it's cool that they can call a teacher by their first name, but in another area the kids might take it as a vulnerability to be exploited as a way to test the teacher and see how far they can push boundaries. Like I would personally find it weird and have some qualms with it because the student(s) might be doing it to test me since my school tends to get a lot of problem students, thanks in part to its location. I also don't want to reinforce the idea that the U.S. and other western countries don't follow some form of formality (semi or full) based on their relationship status with other people. So many of them have this idea that American culture is entirely informal and casual, and they do a lot of things trying to emulate the culture never once realizing that what they're doing is actually very inappropriate and/or rude.

I like Mister Tim and shostager's way of doing it, but most kids refer to me by my last name back home because they think it's cool and fun to say, and I let the kids here call me what they're used to, so it's "teacher/[name] teacher" or "saem (쌤)". Since many of my kids seem to keep saying "Mr." when reading "Mrs. or Ms.", though, I'll probably try introducing myself as Ms. Name at any new assignments just so they can get used to using English titles appropriately.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:17:47 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6125 on: November 09, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »
Might have to start posting using gifs instead of words from now on. You've created a monster. ㅋㅋㅋ
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6126 on: Yesterday at 09:27:53 AM »
I need to get my fix at the only dog cafe worth visiting in my town. I almost caved to weakness and adopted a dog.

Maybe I should try fostering.

Might have to start posting using gifs instead of words from now on. You've created a monster. ㅋㅋㅋ

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6127 on: Yesterday at 02:48:37 PM »

My students do, sometimes, but I asked them to.
I don't like formalities, so asked them to use my name or nickname.
But I still get teacher and name-teacher a lot too haha