February 22, 2019, 12:21:07 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 902032 times)

Online cheolsu

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6260 on: December 29, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »

I've taught a few lessons about pizza here, and the students are always baffled when I tell them that corn on pizza isn't really a thing in the US. They also look at me like I have two heads when I tell them we don't eat pickles with our pizza.

I wonder if there are Korean expat discussion forums where the opposite side of these conversations take place.

"Anyone know where I can get some pizza with corn on it?"

"They forgot to give me pickles with my pizza, and acted all confused when I asked them about it!"

"The garlic bread here is so garlicky! Where's the sugar?!?"

I asked my boss if there was a website like that, where they would complain about stuff. He said, he wasn't aware of any. :p

Of course those websites exist, though I doubt a Korean person who hasn't lived overseas would know. I imagine that they've largely been taken over by Facebook pages now.

Here's a person missing the pickles that come with pizza:

http://www.workingus.com/forums/topic/%ED%95%9C%EA%B5%AD-%ED%94%BC%EC%9E%90%EC%A7%91%EC%97%90%EC%84%9C-%EC%A3%BC%EB%8A%94-%ED%94%BC%ED%81%B4%EC%9D%B4-%EA%B7%B8%EB%A6%BD%EB%84%A4%EC%9A%94/

Here's someone in Orange County looking for pizza with sweet potato on it:

https://www.missyusa.com/mainpage/boards/board_read.asp?section=talk&id=talk1&page=1&category=0&key_field=title&mypost=0&key_word=%C7%C7%C0%DA&idx=5229388&ref=2498475&step=1&level=0

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #6261 on: December 29, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
Yeah, I never have corn on pizza when I treat the students and always tell them it is NOT on the menu back home in Canada.

I also request 'no pickles' and tell students pickles go with sandwiches, not pizza in Western style eating.

There's always a teachable moment.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6262 on: December 29, 2018, 06:14:37 PM »
Yeah, I never have corn on pizza when I treat the students and always tell them it is NOT on the menu back home in Canada.

I also request 'no pickles' and tell students pickles go with sandwiches, not pizza in Western style eating.

There's always a teachable moment.

My favorite food-related teachable moment was when I was doing a Thanksgiving lesson and talking about pie. I asked the students what kinds of pie they liked, and one student loudly and proudly proclaimed his love for cow pies. I hadn't gone into work that morning anticipating the need to teach the difference between cow pies and beef pies, but a teachable moment is a teachable moment.

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6263 on: January 09, 2019, 08:43:54 AM »
So I just noticed that my ex gf has deleted her Facebook profile.  Fair enough, that's quite in vogue these days.

But unfortunately, pretty much every picture of me during our five year relationship was taken by her, including the first three years of my time in Korea.  All gone  :sad:

So many memories gone because I stupidly didn't save/download the pics.  They just existed on Facebook and obviously her memory cards/computer.  So now I'm not sure if I should contact her to try and get the pics. 

"Oh hey I know we haven't spoken for a couple of years but could you just find and share all the pictures of our time together.  Thaaaaaanks"  :-[

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6264 on: January 09, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »
So I just noticed that my ex gf has deleted her Facebook profile.  Fair enough, that's quite in vogue these days.

But unfortunately, pretty much every picture of me during our five year relationship was taken by her, including the first three years of my time in Korea.  All gone  :sad:

So many memories gone because I stupidly didn't save/download the pics.  They just existed on Facebook and obviously her memory cards/computer.  So now I'm not sure if I should contact her to try and get the pics. 

"Oh hey I know we haven't spoken for a couple of years but could you just find and share all the pictures of our time together.  Thaaaaaanks"  :-[

That would be a bad idea.

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6265 on: January 09, 2019, 09:41:35 AM »

You said it yourself. I'm surprised you didn't think to ask for the photos shortly after the breakup, though I can understand the awkward period of not wanting to talk, and putting it off. That really sucks though...  :sad:
The World Ends With You

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6266 on: February 20, 2019, 06:53:45 AM »
All day yesterday, there was something going on in the class across from my office. As I left home, I got a glimpse and just saw one Korean man at the front speaking all English to a group of the other teachers (almost none of which speak English).

Don't know what's going on, but I'm glad it doesn't involve me.
The World Ends With You

Online SanderB

• Veteran
  • Korean CAE/CPE Teacher working at a Gymnasium
« Reply #6267 on: Yesterday at 06:21:08 AM »
Like waiting for Godot.
-Fiat voluntas tua-