February 22, 2019, 09:54:28 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 902291 times)

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6160 on: November 20, 2018, 11:06:04 AM »
I think the students don't know that I have no say over there grade. Well, only their speaking test grades, and my co-t's go based on what I give them. But, the speaking test isn't really worth a lot to the students, I don't think.

Most of my students either don't know or are on the fence about how much influence I have. The only ones who are absolutely convinced from the beginning that I have no power (over their discipline or their grades) are the worst problem students, and about half of those are spoiled hagwon kids who have been brought up by basically the worst hagwons and are used to challenging and disrespecting their teachers (especially if they're foreign teachers) and getting away with it. My coTs and I all work hard to curb this belief, though. If I say something's going to happen, it does, thanks to the support I get from my coTs and my school. Everything is much easier to manage when the kids have a legit fear of what I'll end up doing.

And yeah, the speaking test grades aren't worth a whole lot in the long run, but they can still make a difference in what schools a particular student will get accepted into. They can also push a student's overall grade from a B to an A or vice versa, if the student is borderline. That depends more on the school, though.

So how seriously a student will take his/her speaking test will depend on how seriously that student is about his/her grade in general and in what schools they're hoping to get into.

A lot of students only care about the speaking exam on the day of the speaking exam, though. Like I don't see the point in getting stressed over it if it wasn't important enough for you to study for it.  :undecided:

Nice, I don't get a lot of support like that at my schools TBH.
At my main school, it's at the point my co-T is in and out of the classroom all lesson.

I'm in a super rural spot here, and the students don't get a lot of choices of which high school they will be moving on to. A few of my students care about their grades. But a lot don't really care an awful lot. Most are still good in class though. Except for at 1 of my travel schools haha.

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6161 on: November 21, 2018, 07:57:47 AM »
I was in two minds whether or not to show the movie Get Out to my high school boys when I saw a Youtube video of a middle school teacher showing it to her class.

Guess it's ok then  :laugh:

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #6162 on: November 22, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
Seems like since the school year is coming to a close, I'm having more and more of my lessons canceled here at my country school.  If that's what they want to do, okay..  Just means more quiet/outdoors time for me.     :smiley:  YAY!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6163 on: November 22, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »
I was in two minds whether or not to show the movie Get Out to my high school boys when I saw a Youtube video of a middle school teacher showing it to her class.

Guess it's ok then  :laugh:

Yeah, as long as it doesn't show nudity or excessive gore, there's not a lot I won't show to my older students. I normally save that for my camps, though, because even if they're perfectly legal or whatever, some of my coTs will still have qualms with anything that isn't animated.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6164 on: November 22, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
Seems like since the school year is coming to a close, I'm having more and more of my lessons canceled here at my country school.  If that's what they want to do, okay..  Just means more quiet/outdoors time for me.     :smiley:  YAY!

Jackpot!
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #6165 on: November 22, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »

Jackpot!

Right?!  ha ha  I'm enjoying it! 

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6166 on: November 22, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »

Jackpot!

But always remember to make that sympathetic/disappointed face when they tell you about the cancellation and round it off with a classic lips sealed smile.  :wink:
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #6167 on: November 23, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »

Jackpot!

But always remember to make that sympathetic/disappointed face when they tell you about the cancellation and round it off with a classic lips sealed smile.  :wink:

Just ran into my 4th grade teacher and was informed that I there was no lesson today.  YAY!  And yup!  I pulled the sad droopy lip.  I was going to stamp my foot, but thought that might be over kill.  ha ha   

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6168 on: November 23, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »
Where's Dave Stepz? He's deleted all his posts and profile since he posted last month about not feeling great these days. Hope you're OK Dave.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #6169 on: November 23, 2018, 02:57:01 PM »
Why do I feel the need to laugh every time my 5th and 6th graders curse in English?  Their favorite thing to say (when they screw up) is "Awww, sh*t!"  Now, being a Teacher and sometimes an adult, I know I should reprimand them but I'm an old broad that still laughs when some one farts and tells poo jokes.   

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #6170 on: November 23, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
Why do I feel the need to laugh every time my 5th and 6th graders curse in English?  Their favorite thing to say (when they screw up) is "Awww, sh*t!"  Now, being a Teacher and sometimes an adult, I know I should reprimand them but I'm an old broad that still laughs when some one farts and tells poo jokes.

Paw Q, Paw Q!
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6171 on: November 26, 2018, 07:31:10 AM »
Back after a week of being stuck at home with the flu. And now I have to give two weeks worth of speaking tests since I missed out. Better than going right back to teaching I suppose.
The World Ends With You

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6172 on: November 26, 2018, 09:06:47 AM »
A student actually asked a question in class today. Is it weird that I consider that something worthy of note? It happens so infrequently for me that it really stands out when it does happen. I'm so used to the students either just sitting there like they'd rather be literally anywhere else, or putting forth the token levels of participation when there's an activity. When a student actually wants more information or clarification- enough to actually ask for it, no less -it feels about the same as if a student had stood up and lit herself on fire.

She was asking a pronunciation-related question, incidentally. They were learning "Which do you prefer?" and she noticed that I pronounce "prefer" slightly differently when we practiced it together slowly compared to when I said it quickly in a sentence. It hadn't even occurred to me that that was the case, so we all got to learn something today.  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #6173 on: November 26, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »
pruh-fur VS pree-fur?
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6174 on: November 26, 2018, 09:37:19 AM »
pruh-fur VS pree-fur?

Why not both?

*queue the music from those taco shell TV adverts*

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6175 on: November 26, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6176 on: November 26, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6177 on: November 26, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
pruh-fur VS pree-fur?
Why not both?
Pree-uh-fur?
 :huh:

I tend to use one of them for giving the students the pronunciation, but tend to say the other myself lol

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6178 on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »
I'm in such a mood today.

So glad that the bulk of this week doesn't require much attention from me.

Also, I like to **** around with my students by tossing out different pronunciations of words just based on different American dialects. The students will usually quietly comment about it to each other but then it's the coT that actually speaks up and asks me about it.

Examples include aunt, caramel, and pecan.

Language is fun.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:34:40 AM by Chinguetti »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6179 on: November 26, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
i love it when my adult students cancel the class with short notice, as i still get paid, but don't have to teach.